Line rental

Ross_D Plus
5 838 1 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2016 4:02PM
My, this is getting complicated !!!

Quote:By the look of it, it all depends on if there are other ways of connecting:
broadband without line rental

Opened the link and it's interesting that under the 'Broadband without line rental' heading the first 4 suppliers all quote line rental (c £17/month). However, Virgin Media (without phone line) is the only supplier that doesn't don't charge line rental.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

themak 6 1.0k Scotland
12 Feb 2016 4:14PM

Quote:Put simply, if you thought home broadband wasn't sexy, compare it to fixed-line telephone services. People want the former, but need the latter to get it into their homes. This means the adverts are going to feature the broadband - and people want it as cheap as possible. So if you have to practically give away the broadband where do you make your money?

This has seen all the UK's leading broadband providers sticking to a set 'small print' monthly fee of around £15-18 for your landline rental - allowing them to then charge as little as a few pounds per month for the broadband element. Of course the truth is you're paying perhaps £20 for the whole package. Providers can't offer one without the other without massively increasing the price of broadband, no line rental broadband could mean you’d end up paying about the same anyway.

However broadband without a phone line deals could well become more commonplace as fibre optic broadband spreads across the UK. This tends to be more expensive anyway, so it seems sensible to start offering these services without the need for landline (as Virgin has done).

Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
12 Feb 2016 9:23PM

Quote:Mmmm...from experience I wouldn't go near TalkTalk.

Nothing wrong with Talktalk, from experience there better than BT or Sky.
Evertonian 6 729 England
13 Feb 2016 11:20AM

Quote:
Quote:Is the unlimited Sky fibre with line rental and all calls for around £35 on a 12 month contract still available. It was last month.

Talktalk were doing a good deal, all in about £30 a month.

You have to keep a close eye on your bills with TalkTalk. They make a lot of errors but never in your favour. Contacting them can be quite a problema nd when one of their managers telephones you they do not speak English but something between Farsi and Swahili. I tend to write now as I was promised (You might have seen the ads) a big reduction in my package because of the messing about and lack of access during the weeks surrounding the Cyber attack.

I have just had my latest bill and there is now an amount owing to TT because of underpayment on my part. I pay by direct debit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The promised reduction by way of compensation is not mentioned and because of this TT has said I have underpaid for 3 months as well as the small amount of £8.80 as I am on DD I just do not know how I owe this money. TT has now deducted it from my bank and so I have had to write to them again.

Looking at other packages, but not yet earnestly, they are a mishmash of detail. I want what I have now. Broadband, Fibre Optic, Line rental and all telephone calls. Any offers anybody knows of out there please!
lemmy 12 2.8k United Kingdom
13 Feb 2016 11:39AM

Quote: TT has now deducted it from my bank and so I have had to write to them again.
The main problem with Talk Talk seems to be that is it utterly disorganised, chaotic even.

A friend of mine is just leaving them because they have never managed to get his billing straight and he is tired of threatening letters, phoning TT who admit it is a mistake on their part...and then getting another threatening letter.

The service itself seems to be fine, just a useless management probably more concerned with getting their own bonuses paid on time than their customer satisfaction. People still sign to them, though, so no consequences for the company - so why should they change?

Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
13 Feb 2016 1:51PM

Quote:You have to keep a close eye on your bills with TalkTalk

No you don`t, you get an email 7 to 10 days before your billing date telling you how much the bill is going to be.

Quote:a big reduction in my package because of the messing about and lack of access during the weeks surrounding the Cyber attack

What has all that got to do with TT.
Evertonian 6 729 England
14 Feb 2016 10:30AM

Quote:
Quote:You have to keep a close eye on your bills with TalkTalk

No you don`t, you get an email 7 to 10 days before your billing date telling you how much the bill is going to be.

Quote:a big reduction in my package because of the messing about and lack of access during the weeks surrounding the Cyber attack

What has all that got to do with TT.

"Yes you do" get advised in advance but have you tried cancelling a DD? The bank tells you that you have signed the agreement so it is up to TT to change or cancel it. Now with internet banking you can cancel the DD but then you could have a problem with service being cancelled whilst it is sorted out. Better to write to them leaving the DD in place.

What has this got to do with TT? Are you not aware of the massive Cyber attack that caused TT to be out of service for ages and then an intermittent service following on? They were offering reductions in service costs by way of comppensation. As you seem to be aware of advance billing notification, I felt sure you would also be aware of this!!!!!!!!!!!!
RogBrown 12 3.1k 10 England
14 Feb 2016 11:21AM
I stopped using TT's email after they upgraded it cos it didn't work half the time, then I got so fed up with the sloooowness of their Youview TV box, I gave up altogether & went back to Sky. A bit dearer but so much quicker. This was just before the cyber attack.
Ross_D Plus
5 838 1 United Kingdom
14 Feb 2016 2:47PM

Quote:Looking at other packages, but not yet earnestly, they are a mishmash of detail. I want what I have now. Broadband, Fibre Optic, Line rental and all telephone calls. Any offers anybody knows of out there please!

As I said earlier,it's getting very complicated. There are several comparison sites but you have to be careful of 'special offers' (ie. half price line rental for a year ). Most of these are based on yearly contracts and when your year expires you revert to their standard rates. The killer for me is always the line rental which always seems to be given in very small print at the bottom of a suppliers ad (hence my original post !!).

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.