Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Linux photo editing software

iainpb 16 40
2 Feb 2005 8:48AM
Can anyone recommend any photo editing software for Linux?

I already have GIMP but find it not that great for photo editing.

Any suggestions appreciated.
mrcal 17 1.0k
2 Feb 2005 9:52AM
The GIMP is what I use when I'm in Linux. I don't use it a great deal but it manages my usual needs of levels, crop blended layers etc.

What is it that you want to be able to do that's troublesome in the Gimp?
iainpb 16 40
3 Feb 2005 2:32AM
It's not really the functionality of GIMP i dislike, it's the interface. I find it rather cluttered and was wondering if anyonje can recommend a specific purpose photo editor. Maybe i should give gimp another chance though..
ellis rowell 17 2.0k United Kingdom
3 Feb 2005 3:15AM
You'll probably have difficulty finding anything like PS or PSP in open source software other than the Gimp as most of the big companies belong to the MS Mafia.

I must admit that I have seen better GUI's but as we are not sufficiently skilled to alter it, we shall have to await the interest of someone who can. After all, it is open source and if anyone can do it then we may see v3.
davyc 16 230 Scotland
3 Feb 2005 3:58AM
I can't comment on whether it's any good or not but you can still download Corel PhotoPaint 9 for Linux. Certainly PhotoPaint used to be up there with the best but I'm not sure how this would stack up against Photoshop etc now. It's not being maintained by Corel anymore so it's a couple of years old. It's free though so I'd suck it and see. You can download it from the link below. Beware though, it's a BIG download.

www.linuxsoft.cz/en/sw_detail.php?id_item=104

Davy

edit: more info here
iainpb 16 40
5 Feb 2005 11:12AM
>> as we are not sufficiently skilled

As it happens, im a software engineer Smile
No plans to edit GIMP though.

Davy - thanks for the link, i shall download it and se what it can do.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.