Lithium batteries

oldham 16 198 England
6 Sep 2012 12:59PM
I have been told that it is unsafe to take lithium batteries on aircraft As I shortly will be flying I was wondering if this is correct Anyone enlighten me please

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GarethRobinson 13 1.0k 2 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2012 1:03PM
google says unsafe, ring the airline to check .
Pete Plus
18 18.8k 97 England
6 Sep 2012 1:06PM
Depends on the aircraft or carrier...check web page of your flight company - they should have details of what you can and cannot take on board
Lithiums have been known to explode on aircraft. Initially it was said to be just certain cheap Chinese brands, but it looks a little more serious than first discovered. USPS bans international shipment of Lithium batteries
mikehit 10 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2012 1:11PM
This is from the TSA website (my boldening for emphasis):

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/batteries.shtm

Quote:Lithium-ion batteries, often found in laptop computers, differ from primary lithium batteries, which are often used in cameras. Some newer AA-size batteries are also primary lithium.

While there is no explosion hazard associated with either kind of battery, the Federal Aviation Administration has studied fire hazards associated with both primary and lithium-ion cells, and their extensive research is publicly available. As a result of this research, the FAA no longer allows large, palletized shipments of these batteries to be transported as cargo on passenger aircraft.

The research also shows that an explosion will not result from shorting or damaging either lithium-ion or primary lithium batteries. Both are, however, extremely flammable. Primary lithium batteries cannot be extinguished with firefighting agents normally carried on aircraft, whereas lithium-ion batteries are easily extinguished by most common extinguishing agents, including those carried on board commercial aircraft.

TSA has and will continue to work closely with the FAA on potential aviation safety and security issues, and TSA security officers are thoroughly and continually trained to find explosive threats. TSA does not have plans to change security regulations for electronic devices powered by lithium batteries.

I have never been asked about batteries (spare or otherwise) in my camera, phone or laptop and never about spares I may have in my carry-on bags.
Coleslaw 14 13.4k 28 Wales
6 Sep 2012 1:14PM

Quote:I have never been asked about batteries (spare or otherwise) in my camera, phone or laptop and never about spares I may have in my carry-on bags.

Me neither.
mikehit 10 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2012 1:15PM
The link Pete provided is about sending things by courier (specifically, UPS) but I guess you are talking about taking a device with you. As above, if you want to be sure then call the airline.
LenShepherd 11 4.1k United Kingdom
7 Sep 2012 9:30AM
My guess (it is only a guess) is some lithiums are pressure sealed - and can explode in the low pressure well below freezing condition of an aircraft hold during a flight.
User_Removed 10 4.6k 1 Scotland
8 Sep 2012 11:08AM
Because I have booked a flight to go and (hopefully) photograph the Northern Lights, I have just phoned Icelandair. They assure me there is no problem with any camera or laptop batteries being taken on to their flights in hand baggage. They also confirmed that NO electrical apparatus should be put in checked-in baggage.
Ade_Osman 16 4.5k 36 England
8 Sep 2012 1:29PM
Some of the High Discharge Lithium Polymer batteries, the kind that I use in some of my remote controlled models can be highly volatile especially when charging and I think this is where the confusion lies. Ordinary Lithium-ion batteries used in laptops and cameras are perfectly safe in comparison when used under normal conditions.

Ade
oldham 16 198 England
8 Sep 2012 6:40PM
Thank you all for your help Regards Gordon
oldham 16 198 England
14 Sep 2012 1:59PM
Had no trouble with lithium batteries on the flight Thanks for all your kind advice

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.