Prime Day 2020: Get An Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial

Loch Lomond and surrounding area

dpemberton 16 25
16 Oct 2005 12:21PM
Hi = looking for a bit of advice from any members that have visted Loch Lomond or the surrounding area.

Could you please advise me where the best photo locations are in this area of Scotland?
scottishphototours 16 2.6k 2
16 Oct 2005 1:04PM
David,

There are many. Tell me when you are going and I can narrow it down for you.

Andy.
p-g 16 126 United Kingdom
16 Oct 2005 1:04PM
You'll get loads of replies for this one, but the road from Drymen through Balmaha to Rowardennan on the East side of the loch has many photo locations.
Paul
dpemberton 16 25
16 Oct 2005 1:08PM
Andy/Paul

I'm staying at the Cameron House Hotel in a "Log Cabin" , which is supposedly on the banks of the Loch.

Looking forward to some major relaxing de-stressing photography. Hopefully the weather will be kind, would welcome any suggestions within driving/walking distance.

Thanks for taking time to respond

David
daviewat 16 4.1k Scotland
16 Oct 2005 1:48PM
Hi David,

Well I live just right accross the loch from there !!! at Rowardennan at the youth hostel my wife and I run, venue for scottish weekend next month!!!!!!! how is that for coincidence.

See daviewat`s images for my profile and you will see lots of images from a round here. To be honest you are not really on the most photogenic side of the loch, you really want to venture out over here to the East side for photography then back to your wonderful cabin in the evening!!! if you fancy coming over, a 45 minute drive from your lodgings to rowardennan I would be delighted to meet you.

Cheers

Dave
16 Oct 2005 1:53PM
Geez David - you must be loaded to stay there !

West Side (your side)

- Balloch
- Lochside (lots of places)
- Luss
- Firkin Point
- Tarbet
- Falls of Falloch
- Ardlui

East Side

- Balmaha (sunrise to your left)
- Rowardennan
- Drive to the Trossachs area (Aberfoyle area) - 20 miles

If you want something really different to try, take the road for Glen Douglas over toward Helensburgh. You'll come across the UK's Nuclear Fleet base at Coulport and the "peace camp". Go into the camp for a wander and a chat, but ask if you can take photos. And make sure you leave a donation before you leave...

Have a great time. You'll love it...

Andy.
16 Oct 2005 1:56PM
David,

Watch that invite - he's been stuck in the house for weeks after an operation. If he offers you a drink, you may never re-appear !...

How's the recovery Dave ?!!!!! Smile))))

Andy.
16 Oct 2005 1:57PM
Hi Andy,

Knee getting there slowly but steadily, have not seen a soul for a dram for ages hic !!!!!!! he he

De-stressing the man said !!!!!!!!!!! Smile)) only kidding. There are a heap of roadworks starting next week on the narrow part of the road towards Tarbet, will cause a bit problems with driving and parking in all those wee nooks and crannies along there for photography work.

Dave

ps see you next mont.
kokobrown 16 1.9k Scotland
16 Oct 2005 2:02PM
yes defo the balmaha and rowardennan area. At balmaha there is a boat yard. You can hire a boat for the day, or just an hour...there is a gorgeous little island, plenty of opportunities, If you dont want to hire a boat, there is a ferry every hour or so.

Plus there is a great pub that does a great pint and excellent food
dpemberton 16 25
16 Oct 2005 10:03PM
Thanks Dave,

I'll take you up on the invite over - I'm staying with my 12 year old son for a week (Sat 22 - Sat 29th).

Let me know where you are ( or should I ask locally for the guy with the limp?).

Thanks Andy,

Great list of locations there

David
dpemberton 16 25
16 Oct 2005 10:05PM
Thanks Laura,

Good luck with the career!

David
16 Oct 2005 10:19PM
Hi David ,

We are on the other side of the loch from where you will be staying, just ask the way to Balmaha, I am sure the reception area of the chalet`s will have plenty details, then once at Balmaha continue along the only road for 6 miles and we are a few hundred yards past the Rowardennan Hotel. There is a sighnpost for the Youth Hostel just past the hotel, so no chance of going astray. I should be here all that week so just roll up to the hostel and ring the bell.

Cheers for now

ps the limp is improving every day now Smile))

Dave
hudster 17 166 Scotland
17 Oct 2005 1:06AM
I'd recommend going to luss, a few photo opertunities there, also try walking through Glen Fruin, very beautiful at any time of the year.

Dumbarton castle is also a good shout, Helensburgh, Rhu and cardross are also good places, not much to photograph, but a few to be had.
dpemberton 16 25
17 Oct 2005 8:38AM
Thanks Dave will see you early next week!

Thanks hudster
luckybry 10 3 Scotland
19 Apr 2015 8:39PM
heading up to balloch tues for a few days heard luss was a good photo op village any comments

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.