Get Up To 30% Off Regatta Waterproof Jackets

Lone Female Photographers

Mari 17 1.8k United Kingdom
3 Dec 2003 9:42PM
Lesley Jane

Sorry I haven't been back to this thread for a day or so, have had to compete with my son for computer time.

I do not feel that I am completely carefree in my attitude to being alone. I am aware of all that is going on around me, even if I don't think about it all the time, and usually have my trusty dog with me too. He is always wary of strangers and can be quite nasty when provoked. I just feel that I live in a fairly crime free part of the world. However I am not stupid enough to think that I am not vulnerable. When I drive to the city, I make sure that all of my car doors are locked so that no one can jump in at traffic lights etc and would never go out at night on my own even to take a photo. I would be completely out of my depth somewhere like London - I never really have to go there so thats not a problem for me. Maybe I'm just a country bumpkin and am lucky that i've never felt threatened. However after reading all your experiences maybe I will think differently from now on.
peterjones 19 5.1k 1 United Kingdom
3 Dec 2003 10:43PM
Paradoxically it can be when you feel safest that you are in the greatest danger,i.e. your natural instincts for danger are down which allows the element of surprise for a villain.
I agree wholeheartedly with SuzieBlue (SB I haven't uploaded colour version yet btw :-()and that is to be totally aware and alive to potential dangers;it is my personal experience that if you are it considerably lessens potential danger by removing the element of surprise that these cretins rely on.
peterh 17 608 United Kingdom
4 Dec 2003 12:53AM
Strangely enough, Suzi, I think there is something hopeful in what you and others have said. Years ago in every city and even many smaller towns, there were no-go areas and this was considered acceptable. Your indignation suggests to me that it is no longer acceptable and perhaps this will turn the tide. It doesn't help your sense of present threat and what ever the figures say it is the aprehension of a threat that counts but there could be better times ahead. :-|

Peter
Lesley Jane 18 305
4 Dec 2003 1:38PM
Mari,
You have some nice images in your portfolio!

I suppose you having your dog as a companion really enables you to be relatively carefree. Don't change because some of us are slightly more neurotic than you!

I have always felt aware of risks when being on ones own in an isolated place. That is a shame because to take those really special early-morning photographs it is advisable to get up and out early - so all these male photographers tell us when they give presentations!

Lesley
I will have to start training my cat Hamish to walk on a lead - he isn't able to look very fierce so it is probably not worth th effort Smile
4 Dec 2003 1:54PM
I suspect all these male photographers have a bad consience and simply can't sleepSmile
Carabosse 18 41.6k 270 England
4 Dec 2003 5:36PM
Looking at society as a whole there is probably more risk of violence within the family than from strangers.

That is the case with assaults on women, I understand.
4 Dec 2003 5:45PM
Carabosse,

You may be right, we all stand a better chance of being run over than anything else and we still cross the road. However it really makes very little difference whether the fear is justified or not, it is still real and it disproportionately affects women's mobility and freedom. Something needs to be done.

If the human being was logical no-one would do the lottery Smile

Peter
Lesley Jane 18 305
4 Dec 2003 8:23PM
Carabosse,
If what you and Peter say is true I shall have to be very careful when crossing a road if one of my family members is out driving!

There is certainly a difference being out in the big bad world if you are female as in most cases violent crimes are committed by men. It must be all that testosterone !!

It isn't only a recent phenomenon ... many years ago in the sixties when I was allowed to play in the countryside,( I used to play with another little girl in a local wood). In those days we used to play imaginary games revolving around fairies (of the winged variety!)One day we came to our little 'fairy' den to find presents from the 'fairy queen'. It was a very frightening experience as we had been watched. Our trips to the wood were abruptly curtailed and I think my childhood stopped on that day!

Lesley
4 Dec 2003 8:57PM
Unfortunately the world doesn't change that much Sad I think there's a lot more than testosterone at work, an inability to live up to societal expectations, unwillingness to respond to changing gender roles, general inadequacy, not to mention a lack of hope. As I have said before, the only positive thing from all this is the unwillingness on the part of women, in particular, to accept the restictions on freedom of mobility and their(our) determination to do something about it; even if they(we) don't know what yet.

Peter
Carabosse 18 41.6k 270 England
4 Dec 2003 10:45PM
There is always danger - it lurks in the most unexpected places sometimes (e.g. within the circle of family and friends).

But the moment any of us start letting that rule our lives TOO MUCH, then life begins to be less worth living.

Lesley Jane's experience in the Sixties is interesting but not (to me) surprising. We tend to think violence, and the threat of it, is a recent phenomenon. It isn't.

Areas change for better or for worse. Only a couple of days ago I was walking in East London in an area where, as recently as the Eighties, I would have been a trifle worried about. Now it is full of trendy City types!!
Mari 17 1.8k United Kingdom
4 Dec 2003 10:52PM
I think more of us women should go for martial arts training. Karate etc. This is supposed to be good for defending oneself, thats if you get the chance.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.