Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Long exposures

gsxr400 14 14
9 Nov 2006 4:44PM
I would like to know how to take a long exposure shot.
Do you take them in low light or bright light. I can never seem to get them right.
kit-monster 18 3.7k 2 Singapore
9 Nov 2006 4:51PM
Length of exposure is inversely proportional to the amount of light. So low light = long exposure. There are other factors. Smaller aperture also = longer exposure and so does low ISO. You can also prolong the length of exposure using filters. The most common is a Neutral Density filter.

I guess the question is - why do you want to take long exposures and what's the subject?
JohnHawthorne 15 1.7k 5 Scotland
9 Nov 2006 5:12PM

Quote:I can never seem to get them right.

Why not? Are they too blurry? (Use a tripod) Too dark or too light? (Adjust the shutter speed accordingly)

For adjusting the shutter speed you need to set the camera to shutter priority mode or, better still, to manual mode. You might not be able to do that with your camera.
gsxr400 14 14
9 Nov 2006 6:32PM
I would like to take pictures of night scenes or street lighting. they seem to have a lot of noise, and dont look like what i am seeing.I use a tripod, am i being too ambitious
JohnHawthorne 15 1.7k 5 Scotland
9 Nov 2006 6:42PM
No, it's not too ambitious at all. The noise could be due to the high ISO setting. See if there's a way to manually set your ISO value to the lowest value. Also look at fixing the noise in programs like NeatImage which reduces the noise quite a lot.

Also compact cameras have very small sensors compared to DSLRs which means they are a lot more prone to noise. Good shots are still possible but it takes a lot more work.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.