Save 60% On inPixio Eclipse HDR Pro

Long zoom - improving sharpness?

p3asa 15 676 Scotland
13 Nov 2006 2:58PM
It is a setting in one of the cameras custom functions.

I see you use the 300D. I don't think it has that function on it as standard. However you can flash the firmware on your camera to give it the functions of the 10D camera which allows the mirror lock up.

It is called the " Wasia Hack " just Google for more info on it.

Loads of folk have used the hack on their 300D without any problems. However I would imagine it would invalidate your warranty. But in saying that there are loads of stories on the net about folk returning their 300D's to Canon for repair (not through hacking the firmware I hasten to add) and Canon turning a blind eye to it or returning the camera fixed and re flashed with the original software.

It is simple to flash the camera and just as easy to go back to the original firmware if you don't like it.

Steven.
paulcr Plus
16 1.5k 9 Ireland
13 Nov 2006 3:15PM
Ok Steven, checked that out.

For installation it says:

Unpack it with RAR archiver.
Copy file with .fir extension to your flash card.

Whats RAR achiver never heard of it. Excuse my ignorance lol. Paul
gajj 16 32
13 Nov 2006 3:19PM
Very interesting discussion and informative links for us novices...thanks!
Jan
p3asa 15 676 Scotland
13 Nov 2006 3:39PM
It is just a file format that has been compressed to make the file smaller.

Rar info. So you just want to put it back to its original state by unpacking it. You might already have this on your PC. What happens when you double click on the RAR file?

If it doesn't unpack then use something like this

Steven.
paulcr Plus
16 1.5k 9 Ireland
13 Nov 2006 3:43PM
Thanks again Steven, I haven't downloaded it yet. I'll do it this evening when I get home. Thanks for the info. Paul
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
13 Nov 2006 3:45PM
There are a couple of nice features in the hack.

Mirror lock as others say is handy, as is the ability to switch between RAW and JPEG by holding down the set button and turning the comand wheel. Then Flash exposure compensation is also good.

I have been using the hack for about 2 years, no problems seen.
paulcr Plus
16 1.5k 9 Ireland
13 Nov 2006 3:49PM
Thanks John, would I be right in saying that it's not very effective when using a long lens shoting wildlife (as this thread started out asking) due to the fact that you generally have to be quite fast with wildlife and mirror lock up takes a couple of seconds to initiate? Paul
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
13 Nov 2006 3:51PM
I never use it for wildlife. I use it for landscapes. I prefer to have the lens mounted on the tripod, and release with the remote cable if possible.
p3asa 15 676 Scotland
13 Nov 2006 4:00PM
No bother Paul.
I found it enhanced the camera especially being able to select the ISO at 3200.

Steven.

P.S. what is your secret for doing montages that blend into each other? My attempts have been terrible.
paulcr Plus
16 1.5k 9 Ireland
13 Nov 2006 4:13PM
No real secret Steven, lpads of staring at the monitor trying to envisage what would look best in what area of the montage. I used the clone tool quite a bit on this one set at 50% and lower. This allowed some of the underlying layer to show through and blend nicely. When using the clone tool between layers, first highlight the layer you wish to clone from, alt/click to select the area, then highlight the layer you want to clone to (with the opacity set to 50% max) and clone away. Lots of highlighting between layers but it works. Thats probably as clear as mud but if I can be of any help specifically give me a shout. PAul
paulcr Plus
16 1.5k 9 Ireland
14 Nov 2006 12:00PM

Quote:It is called the "Wasia Hack" just Google for more info on it.

Got absolutely nowhere with this. Downloaded from the link and also downloadrd rar "unzipper".

When I tried opening the hack I just got kept getting info windows saying files corrupt.
Paul
p3asa 15 676 Scotland
14 Nov 2006 9:36PM
Paul I've sent you a PM.

Steven.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.