Start your photography store - 30% off Picfair Plus!

Looking for a bandwagon to jump on?

rhody 16 2.8k 2 United Kingdom
19 May 2019 8:25AM
I live in a small UK town. Around 7,000 people. The council are building some new facilities for the local children and teenagers. Local businesses have got together to arrange a free ďSpectacular Clifftop Firework DisplayĒ with an organic hog roast; a jazz band; a local boy to start the firework display: Music starts at 6pm; Fireworks start at 9pm. All to celebrate the new facilities for local children and teenagers. I thought it was a great idea and very generous of the local businesses to do this, entirely free, for the local residents. I never gave it any more thought. Until I noticed many and various people were openly complaining about it.
These are a snapshot of the complaints so far in no particular order.
1. Vegetarians are complaining about the hog roast. They donít want to see it being roasted and they donít want their kids to see it. They have threatened to boycott the free event.
2. Some local residents are upset on behalf of War Veterans. They think it is disrespectful to have fireworks in D-Day week and could trigger old memories of war and conflict. (To the best of my knowledge, no actual War Veterans have actually complained.)
3. Some parents are upset that itís too late for children to stay up to see the fireworks.
4. Some local residents donít want noisy fireworks at night
5. Some local residents donít want noisy music
6. Some Cat & Dog owners donít want any fireworks
7. Some local residents donít want noisy kids facilities near their homes
8. Some residents think itís a waste of Council money to build the recreation facilities saying ďSomething else for yobs to smash up and vandaliseĒ.

Why are there so many people today just looking for a band wagon to jump on or a reason to complain?
Are we losing the ability to just enjoy things for what they are anymore by getting morally outraged on behalf of someone else?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Willpower 8 488 United Kingdom
19 May 2019 9:49AM
I object to you complaining about all the complaints. It is morally offensive to me that you find these complaints objectionable. TongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueGrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrin

Welcome to the world of Snowflakes & Unicorns
19 May 2019 9:58AM

Quote:I object to you complaining about all the complaints. It is morally offensive to me that you find these complaints objectionable. TongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueGrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrin Welcome to the world of Snowflakes & Unicorns

You have made my day already! GrinWinkGrinWink

altitude50 15 15.2k United Kingdom
19 May 2019 10:50AM
Fireworks look really good at 6pm in June (UK) ...............................WinkWinkWink
19 May 2019 11:01AM

Quote:Fireworks look really good at 6pm in June (UK) ...............................WinkWinkWink

Exactly! I'm sure the people making the fuss would like silent fireworks, a muted jazz band and a vegetarian hog shaped roast made out of vegan sausages.
Minty805 Plus
2 22 5 United Kingdom
19 May 2019 2:24PM
We seem to be becoming a nation of the professionally offended, looking for every opportunity to show off our righteous indignation at something, often, as you say, on behalf of someone else who wasn't bothered about it in the first place.

What was the expression? Judge not lest you be judged?
hobbo Plus
8 1.3k 2 England
19 May 2019 6:35PM
As an official old fogey.....I tell you this......once....a very long time ago, I and my junior school pals were Wartime brats....fatherís away for up to six years, some never returning....home town devastated by nazi bombs....rationing and shortages.....toward the end, we ate whale meat...horse meat and a mystery fish called snoek.....we wore tatty patched clothes... re-knitted old multi-coloured jumpers and miniature army type boots via some Boot Fund.

We were too war worn to be frightened...too hungry to care.....none of us had decent clothes.

Fireworks? ....Yes!.....we had military grade infantry training thunder flashes thrown around the HUGE bonfire burning an effigy of hitler during the VE celebrations ..... then again a few months later on VJ Day ....

The noise from both celebrations Europe-Wide was incredible.....I donít recall a single complaint ..... ever.

The world has gone mad.....I tell you.....totally mad.

Hobbo
hobbo Plus
8 1.3k 2 England
19 May 2019 6:51PM
Me again!

Just look st this....

https://apple.news/AQpVwsVT0RsijSbuwaGq4bw

So very, very sick.....

Hobbo
19 May 2019 8:23PM

Quote:Fireworks? ....Yes!.....we had military grade infantry training thunder flashes thrown around the HUGE bonfire burning an effigy of hitler during the VE celebrations ..... then again a few months later on VJ Day ....
The noise from both celebrations Europe-Wide was incredible.....I donít recall a single complaint ..... ever.
The world has gone mad.....I tell you.....totally mad. Hobbo

My Dad was ex-Army. I was born a few years after he returned from the war and I never heard him complain. He just got on with what he had. He was never envious or jealous of anyone and would do anything to help other people. He joined the Rats of Tobruk Association to keep in touch with his old mates and for 10 years after he died, the Association sent my Mother money every Christmas. The friends he made in the 8th Army stayed in touch with him to the end. True friendship indeed. I met them a few times. They were always positive, always having a laugh but they never spoke about what they saw or what they went through.
He would have laughed at some of the things people get "outraged" about today, shrugged his shoulders and got on with the more important things in his life - his work and his family.
19 May 2019 9:44PM

Quote:Vegetarians are complaining about the hog roast. They donít want to see it being roasted and they donít want their kids to see it.

Then donít go near the hog-roast kiosk...simples...stick to your dandelion leaves..
20 May 2019 2:01PM

Quote:
Quote:Vegetarians are complaining about the hog roast. They donít want to see it being roasted and they donít want their kids to see it.

Then donít go near the hog-roast kiosk...simples...stick to your dandelion leaves..

Brilliant - haha! GrinGrinGrinGrinGrinWink
Although I'm sure there's probably a group of people somewhere, who talk to their plants and would be the first to shout "Dandelions have rights too." Or is the time ticking down for the dandelion clock if vegetarians find them tasty?
JackAllTog Plus
10 5.5k 58 United Kingdom
20 May 2019 2:31PM
LOL - perhaps as a nation we really care about so little and our lives are 'generically' sooo easy that we need to find something ti define us.

Previously, perhaps, we mostly looked out for each other and shared just a few a common goals.
Now its to easy to be cajoled into one competing 'good' cause or another by either a well meaning few, or a political desire to shift community opinion for some other aim.

Personally i think we are all much more selfish than ever as there is never a benefit in helping your neighbour; And will soon we evolve back into cavemen (& women (& other)) as we just offend each other all the time and will soon be unable to have a society at all.

the less we invest in the adults of the future, the worse the future adults will be.
+1 vote for the playground.
bluesandtwos 9 391 1 England
21 May 2019 9:00AM

Quote:Me again!

Just look st this....

https://apple.news/AQpVwsVT0RsijSbuwaGq4bw

So very, very sick.....

Hobbo

I heard this morning that Rod Stewart, a model enthusiast himself, has donated £10,000. It's great they have caught them, not only to punish them as a deterrent to others, but also to find out why they thought destroying something was a good idea.

I could understand it if they had stolen things, but just breaking stuff is beyond me. Sad

Dave
21 May 2019 9:48AM

Quote:I heard this morning that Rod Stewart, a model enthusiast himself, has donated £10,000. It's great they have caught them, not only to punish them as a deterrent to others, but also to find out why they thought destroying something was a good idea.

I could understand it if they had stolen things, but just breaking stuff is beyond me. Sad

Dave

I think that's great of Rod to make this gesture. I know he loves his trains too!

There was a break in by 2 hoodied yobs at the Southsea Model Village this week. They did some damage and stole some models, all caught on camera and on their way out, the resident Model Village cat walked up to them for a fuss as one of of the thugs was calling to him. Once in range, he kicked the cat so hard it flew across the room. (DO NOT WATCH THE VIDEO FOOTAGE FROM THE MODEL VILLAGE IF YOU LIKE CATS). It has upset many people.
The cat was taken to the vets and is OK.
People are donating money for a reward for someone to identify these scum.
I keep asking myself, why? I can't understand it or the motivation for it.
JackAllTog Plus
10 5.5k 58 United Kingdom
21 May 2019 9:50AM

Quote: just breaking stuff is beyond me. Sad

I think this is sometimes just childish jealousy, if i can't have it then why should you have it to enjoy.

Then perhaps older, its the bully in people trying to exert power over other things to cover up their feeling of inadequacy. or throwing a stone at authority as they feel hate at their own position in relation to others.

Or more extreme, just fully grown evil that wants nothing of value for others to exist that can't be attributed to them alone of their cause (politics or religion). mwah ha ha ha.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.