Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Looking for a Gimbal

Dabber 19 246 England
16 Sep 2017 11:15PM
Like a few keen photographers I am using my Android phone more and more for photography, especially for personal and family shots, including video.
I have been looking at various Gimbals to improve the stability of the video shots, does anyone on here use one that they can heartily recommend?
Thanks for looking
Dabber
Chris_L 7 5.5k United Kingdom
16 Sep 2017 11:53PM
If you skimp on price you will skimp on performance, don't settle for less than this , as good as the DJI ones but not as pricey.
saltireblue Plus
11 11.9k 75 Norway
17 Sep 2017 7:43AM
Doesn't help your search, I'm afraid, but it's a shame that member JR1 is no longer here - he had more gimbals than you've had hot dinners and he was a professional press and media photographer who was here to help everyone else.Smile
Giood luck with your search!

Malc
Philh04 Plus
15 2.3k United Kingdom
17 Sep 2017 8:59AM

Quote:Doesn't help your search, I'm afraid, but it's a shame that member JR1 is no longer here - he had more gimbals than you've had hot dinners and he was a professional press and media photographer who was here to help everyone else.Smile

Malc

LoL... but you know I would be rolling about in laughter at this comment Malc Tongue

However I think the OP is looking at a different form of Gimbal (JR1 would probably not have realised), the link given by Chris_L above looks to be good and a very competitive price, given the amount of video Chris does I would trust his advise.

Phil
saltireblue Plus
11 11.9k 75 Norway
17 Sep 2017 9:57AM

Quote:
Quote:Doesn't help your search, I'm afraid, but it's a shame that member JR1 is no longer here - he had more gimbals than you've had hot dinners and he was a professional press and media photographer who was here to help everyone else.Smile

Malc

LoL... but you know I would be rolling about in laughter at this comment Malc Tongue
However I think the OP is looking at a different form of Gimbal (JR1 would probably not have realised), the link given by Chris_L above looks to be good and a very competitive price, given the amount of video Chris does I would trust his advise.

Yeah I know...couldn't pass up the opportunity though, Phil.Wink

I second Phil's comment about Chris.
Dabber 19 246 England
17 Sep 2017 3:31PM
Chris

Thanks for for your input, I was considering that exact one, but it was one of the least expensive that I looked at on Youtube that's why I wondered if anyone (in the real world) i.e. actual 'users' of them had an opinion of it, good or bad.
So I'm fairly happy to go with that one, considering I didn't want to part with much more than £100.
As I said, although the quality of modern mobile phones images they're not best suited to hand held videoing.

Thanks again

Dabber
Dabber 19 246 England
15 Oct 2017 6:12PM
Well, I said that I would go for the Zhiyun Smooth Q gimbal and report back . Here goes.
Before I did actually place the order I did a bit of research on Google and Youtube to get a feel as to what the reviewers concluded.
In a nutshell the choice appeared to be between the Zhiyun Smooth Q and the DJI Osmo.
Basically the one to come out best was the DJI, but it is at least twice the price of the Zhiyun Smooth Q. Which meant that quite a few of the reviewers came down on the side of the Zhiyun Smooth Q for value for money.
Generally there didnít appear to be a great deal of difference, operationally, between the two, but, of the accompanying Apps to control them the DJI was the clearly the best. Having said that, the IOS version of the Zhiyun Smooth Q App had a good review, alas the Android wasnít much good.
Based on my budget I decided to risk getting the Zhiyun Smooth Q, mine cost a little under £100 and was here within two weeks.
So, without trying to do a Ďreviewí here comes my first impression,
As a stabilisation tool it is superb, I have never been happy with my hand held video footage from a phone, I find it difficult to hold steady, even at wide angle. Anyway I did a simple test at full zoom (x8). The hand held was unwatchable, whereas the footage from the Zhiyun Smooth Q was faultless, much better than I could have expected. So if I only use it to support the phone while filming it is well worth the money.
Now the App! Well itís not good, and the web site is next to useless (just my opinion)
It seems to be that their Apple version is pretty good, and hopefully if we pester the Tech guys at Zhiyun enough maybe they will update the Android version (sooner rather than later).
Having said that I have been experimenting with the axis settings controlled by the joystick and slowed them down considerably, so now they are really nice.
I have downloaded an App called Open Camera which allows a lot of manual intervention of the auto exposure, colour balance etc. and thatís really good.
So for my first outing Iím going to use the Open Camera App to control the camera settings and control the gimbal manually.
I would be interested to hear if anyone else has any experience or can offer any tips regarding obtaining half decent video footage from an Android phone, I am using a Moto G5.
By the way, I was impressed with the Filmic Pro (even though itís a 'paid for' App) but for some reason my phone is not supported according to their website. Once again it appears to favour IOS

15 Oct 2017 8:23PM
Cinema FV-5 has some good features and I use it on a Moto
Dabber 19 246 England
15 Oct 2017 11:49PM
Chris
Just downloaded the App I will have a play with it tomorrow.
Just a quick question, do you know if there is a way to set the App to record the footage to the micro SD card rather than the internal memory? There's much more room on that than the internal memory.
Thanks for Cinema FV 5 suggestion.
John

16 Oct 2017 4:16PM
Yes you can spec a folder on your MicroSD card for recording
Dabber 19 246 England
17 Oct 2017 6:50AM
Chris,
I thought that would be the case, but I can't fathom it out! Is it possible for you to give me a step by step walk through?
Thanks in advance.
John
18 Oct 2017 12:35AM
Hit the Cog Icon to open general settings and change Storage location

250184_1508283286.jpg
12 Dec 2017 10:36PM
I recommend looking into the Zhiyun-Tech Smooth-Q Smartphone Gimbal. It runs about $139, which is cheaper than the DJI version. I own one of the larger Zhiyun-Tech stabilizers and love it. I highly recommend this brand. Another newer, but more pricey option is the Freefly Movi for Smartphones ($299). Good luck!

Quote:Like a few keen photographers I am using my Android phone more and more for photography, especially for personal and family shots, including video.
I have been looking at various Gimbals to improve the stability of the video shots, does anyone on here use one that they can heartily recommend?
Thanks for looking
Dabber

peterjones 19 5.1k 1 United Kingdom
14 Dec 2017 7:28AM
Zhiyun-Tech Smooth-Q Smartphone Gimbal..... Iíd buy one for the name alone ....Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.