Get 50% Off Affinity Photo Today!

Looking for a good macro Canon fit lens around the 85-105 mark

pikey 17 861
17 Oct 2006 11:26AM
Wondered if anyone could suggest a good starting point to do some research...I'm looking for the lens to shoot detail/pick up shots in interiors, so quality is more important than price !!

Has anyone any experience of the Sigma lenses ?...I am shooting on the 1DS MK2 and I have heard about it not paticularly 'liking' anything but L glass...I'm not sure if that is a rumour or not ...can anyone offer any advice ?..Many thanks.
JohnHawthorne 14 1.7k 5 Scotland
17 Oct 2006 11:33AM
Typical question that people will want the answer to: what budget do you have?

A good starting point for your research: the Canon 24-105 L lens. It has IS so would be good indoors, and again the wide focal range will be advantageous indoors when you want to switch from taking an atmospheric shot of a room to focus in on more detail.

For even closer, try macro, the Canon 100mm lens isn't an L lens but produces images which match L lenses. The Sigma 105mm macro lens is also a close match in that respect.
park my ferret 16 1.0k United Kingdom
17 Oct 2006 11:34AM
Why not use extension tubes to get your macro - I do on my 1ds mk2.
It's true that because of it's resoloution this camera shows up any lens imperfections - but there are good cheaper lenses around - I really like the 80 canon 50mm 1.8 on it.

But it begs the question - if you had a limited budget - why did you get a 1ds mk2 and not a 5D and a selection of decent glass ... for alot less money
pikey 17 861
17 Oct 2006 11:59AM
Thanks, Guys

'But it begs the question - if you had a limited budget - why did you get a 1ds mk2 and not a 5D and a selection of decent glass ... for alot less money'

I didn't necessarily have a limited budget, but shift lenses were a priority at the time and the 5D hadn't come out !
ZenTog 18 7.9k 1 England
17 Oct 2006 12:37PM
the 1ds is much better than the 5d,

would a shilft and tilt lens be better for internals and buildings so you can shift converging verticals
andytvcams 18 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
17 Oct 2006 12:40PM

Quote:The 1ds is much better than the 5d,

Is it?.
Mayfly 15 485 2 United Kingdom
17 Oct 2006 12:43PM
I used a 16-35L to take some shots for a shopfitting company a couple of years ago on a 10D. It was a good solution at the time,how about the 17-40 L ?

Edit - Should have read the title properly ! anyway it was useful for the project. It was a clothes shop and Shots of hats, gloves dresses and coats etc guess it depends what you are shooting.
ZenTog 18 7.9k 1 England
17 Oct 2006 12:47PM
a lot of people I have spoken too have sent the 5d back with constant complaints etc its far cheaper than the 1ds but I wouldnt want one!! I forgot about the 17-40mm lens it probally would be good for what you want to do
mattw 16 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
17 Oct 2006 12:48PM

For someone using a 4MP camera Paul, you are the last person I thought would start pixel peeping!
The 1DS2 has a slightly higher pixel count, is it as good for low noise at high ISO's? (I don't know the answer - but this could be useful for indoor shots) Also the weather proofing can not be an issue here either!
Relax Paul the 5D is a Canon too!

Ahem... Back to topic...
I use a Tamron 90mm Macro on me 5D, and it works fine with the 5D.

What about a Canon 50mm F1.8? Anyone tried this combination?

Mattw
ZenTog 18 7.9k 1 England
17 Oct 2006 12:50PM
mattw update I have been using the eos1dmk2n for the last three weeks or so!!! so 8mp please let you know! and i will still keep the old 4mp beast for backup and the 16,000 top shutter speed
justin c 16 5.1k 36 England
17 Oct 2006 12:57PM

I'm not sure I'd use the word much better as it could imply to someone passing by,that the 5D isn't up too much.
Which IMO simply isn't true.It's a superb camera and in many ways may be a better choice than the 1Ds,especially to those that can't justify the cost of the much more expensive 1Ds.

I wouldn't pay any attention whatsoever to reports of 5D's being returned due to problems,if you search hard enough you'll find all sorts of issues and complaints with most cameras on the market,1Ds II's included.

Justin.
ZenTog 18 7.9k 1 England
17 Oct 2006 1:01PM
probally true justin, but I was only justifying my preivous comment. I think for certain people the 5d would be a better camera, I personally prefer the quality of the 1 ~series cameras and the proof is the amount of peopel who use them to earn a living
for my business a fullframe camera be it a 5d or a 1ds, would not make finacial sense as I shoot mostly sport images
mattw 16 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
17 Oct 2006 1:02PM
Paul - interesting. I this a private purchase, or has Canon changed their mind about the sponsorship?

Mattw
ZenTog 18 7.9k 1 England
17 Oct 2006 1:05PM
naw jessops changes their mind about price matching yet again, so got 12months interest free. Canon have never sponsored me I am not worthy you see. I just love canon products so endorse them free of charge, now if anybody knows people in canons PR department I need sponsorship forthe 1200mm lens
justin c 16 5.1k 36 England
17 Oct 2006 1:11PM

Quote:I use a Tamron 90mm Macro on me 5D, and it works fine with the 5D.

What about a Canon 50mm F1.8? Anyone tried this combination?

Yep. The 5D and 50mm f1.8 make a great combination.Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.