ADVERTISEMENT
Shop Amazon's Best Sellers in Camera & Photo

Loss of sharpness after PS CS3 when viewing in Windows.

MikeTheMason 13 8 1
31 Oct 2009 3:06PM
Hello.

When I view a picture in Windows Picture and Fax viewer it isn't as sharp as in Photoshop CS3 (after Unsharp Mask). I take, edit and save as jpegs but have the same result with saving as tiff with or without compression.

I've set the monitor res in Ps to 300 p/i with same result.

It is the same if I view the picture in Windows Live Photo Gallery and Breeze Browser Pro but when I use Faststone Image Viewer I get the same sharpness as with Ps which makes me think it isn't a monitor problem.

I prefer to keep using Windows Picture Viewer as my photo manager but would like to view the image as it is in Ps. Otherwise I have to over-sharpen in Ps to get a reasonable result in Windows which is a bit hit and miss.

I've tried Google and the forum here but can't find an answer (unless I've missed it, in which case apologies). I'm not resizing for the web at this point so I don't think it's to do with that.

Is there something I can change in Photoshop or Windows so the image is the same in both?

Many thanks, Mike.
cameracat 19 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
31 Oct 2009 5:30PM
Is it just a loss of sharpness..? Are there any noticeable variations in the colours...?

Changing the dpi for the screen in CS, Will make little if any difference.
Hugeknot 17 1.2k 2 Iceland
31 Oct 2009 5:44PM
Sounds like a re-sizing issue. If windows is having to enlarge the picture to fill your screen it can degrade the quality. If windows is having to reduce the size to fit it on your screen then it will lose sharpness. I always re-size and sharpen for the web even if it is just to view on my computer.

What type of file is it and what is your OS?
Jestertheclown 14 8.7k 255 England
31 Oct 2009 7:18PM
I think I know what you mean. I stopped using Windows picture and fax viewer some time ago as I wasn't happy that the image looked 'right'. I can't say thst it was an issue with sharpness or anything in particular, they just seemed to be lacking somehow.
I now use FastStone to view my images straight from the camera as it displays them full screen and they do look better than with windows.
I generally open the finished files using Picasa as my default viewer which again gives (I think) a decent rendition of what I've tried to achieve in PS and it's easy to resize the image (on screen) just using the mouse. Using Picasa might be the answer.
MikeTheMason 13 8 1
1 Nov 2009 12:23AM
Hugeknot you are a genius. Or at least you've cured a major headache, so thank you very much.

Now I'm opening the image in PS, cropping then resizing to 800 pixels on the longest side, making other adjustments, sharpen and save and when I view in Windows at 'actual size' it's just about spot on.

I'm quite new to this and have seen plenty of info about re-sizing but you managed to explain it so the lightbulb went on in my head.

Thanks again (and to cameracat and mizzogthegrizzog for responding), best wishes, Mike.
MikefromEbbw 15 69 2 Wales
1 Nov 2009 10:57AM
In window picture/fax viewer you have the option on the bottom toolbar to either see actual size or fit to screen.Actual size should show the same level of sharpness as in Photoshop.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.