Christmas Prize Draw 2017

Lost all my photos on WD Passport!

LinBrennan 5 850 United Kingdom
5 Dec 2018 12:45PM
Can anyone help please, my passport has died on me, all my photos going way back have now gone. I tried to get it repaired at a computer shop but they couldn't do anything. Can anyone give me some idea on how to go about trying to retrieve them.
Thanks
Linda

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

joshwa Plus
8 861 United Kingdom
5 Dec 2018 1:52PM
You could use a data recovery firm - it won't be cheap:

https://www.fields-data-recovery.co.uk
KenTaylor Plus
14 3.1k 2 United Kingdom
5 Dec 2018 4:24PM
You will need deep pockets for the rescue srvice depending of course how important the images are to you,
Number 1 rule is of course backup where you seem to have relied on one drive,

When you buy a replacement drivre buy 2

I had a WD drive falure that fortunately had only a few files I hadnt backed up. The warnings were there with unusual noises,given for only a short time.
cosmicnode 9 25 England
5 Dec 2018 8:15PM
Often what breaks is the usb interface, I had a exrernal drive fail on me, Unscrew the casing and remove the hard drive, It has a standard sata connector and power connector. Get access to a desktop computer and plug the drive into a spare sata cable in the motherboard and spare power connector from the power unit. when you turn on the computer you have a good chance of seeing the hard drive and contents, Transfer to a new drive immediately. this worked for me on a Maxtor usb drive.
5 Dec 2018 10:31PM
It may well be possible to fit the actual drive from within your WD Passport into a normal portable drive casing. As these come with all the connectors built in it may solve any problems that have arisen "outside" the actual drive as mentioned by cosmicnode. I have a friend who had a hard disk die in his pc but ran fine in a portable casing long enough to rescue some of his files.
I use these type of casings when I ditch an old pc or even once with a laptop drive....The drives are re cased and then reformatted to make cheap external hard drives.
It really depends on what the assistant said to you at the computer shop....did they look into it or just "ease you out the door"?
Maybe a visit to a local computer club or even the local camera club would help as "distance assistance" is not easy......best of luck....stuart

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.