Save An Extra 15% On All Regatta Clearance Jackets & Coats use code: JACKET15

Lots of Spam recently

sitan1 Plus
12 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
7 Jan 2011 7:46AM
Thanks David have now put on image verification so will see how it goes.

Thanks Phil still waiting for my 1,000,000,00 from the Nigerian lottery, apperently they only need 10,000 more for security checks and I should have it any day now Wink
Pete 19 18.8k 97 England
7 Jan 2011 9:12AM

Quote:Thanks David have now put on image verification so will see how it goes.

Until spammers crack how to bypass image verification and other such spam protection that will provide you with a trouble free site. Sadly any web site with a form (method to post) will attract the spam messages no matter how big or small. I read yesterday that Facebook is under huge threat now as email spammers move to a much easier form of attack via apps on there. I've already been hit once. :-(
sitan1 Plus
12 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
7 Jan 2011 11:52AM
I know its annoying but I try not to let it bother me, I just think it's sad that someone is actually sitting at their pc sending random letters and numbers in an e-mail.
I don't really use facebook so havent come across what you experienced, but it just generally spoils it for everyone.
Hugo 16 649 United Kingdom
7 Jan 2011 3:38PM
Email spam is down http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12126880

Maybe the spammers are just having a festive break....
..or maybe they're working on super spam apps for mobile phones and Facebook, both of which have escaped from spam so far really.
KarenFB Plus
14 5.6k 182 England
7 Jan 2011 4:27PM
Lol! I've just received an e-mail from the Rt Hon David Cameron (personally) to tell me I am entitled to some money - could I please send my details so he can personally oversee the payment!!!! Just how gullible to 'they' think we are!!

David Cameron giving away money to a female English person..................lol (I shall be chortling away for hours on that one!)
Pete 19 18.8k 97 England
7 Jan 2011 4:42PM

Quote:I've just received an e-mail from the Rt Hon David Cameron (personally) to tell me I am entitled to some money - could I please send my details so he can personally oversee the payment!!!! Just how gullible to 'they' think we are!!

Trouble is we start to switch off to stuff...there was a report on TV about a bloke giving cash away in the street (fivers or tenners can't remember) and it was really hard work to get people to take the cash!
Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
7 Jan 2011 7:12PM

Quote:Has anyone else been getting spam through their Foliopic contact page?

Not Foliopic, but add your face was fun, had some strange damsel wanting to marry me Smile Smile
sitan1 Plus
12 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2011 10:00AM
Just a quick note to say the spams have stopped since changing to image verification Grin
Louise_Morris 10 2.5k England
6 Feb 2012 7:32AM
Have just picked up on this thread because I have had a fair amount of spam over the last couple of days - however my comments verification is already on image so any more ideas anyone?
rhousham 14 435 United Kingdom
24 Feb 2012 9:40AM
Hi Richard here one of the web developers for foliopic/epz
Sorry for the delay, if you are getting spam then it's because real people are typing in the spam and also the letters in the image verification.

Looking at it and one of the main culprits comes from a particular ip address.
(I can't say it but if you contact us through the report system then we can talk a little more openly
http://www.foliopic.com/helpcentre/report/report-make)

But what I would do is google the ip address and 9/10 times you will come accross this site.
http://www.stopforumspam.com
which does a great job of logging complaints from particular ips.
So if you did a search and found a page like this http://www.stopforumspam.com/ipcheck/199.15.234.222
Which shows that the ip 199.15.234.222 has been doing all kinds of spam then you can block it by going to settings->blocked visitors and entering the block as an ip block with the ip the you have found.

Thus banning anyone from that ip from your site.
I hope that helps and if you need any more help then please get in contact via the foliopic report system.
Richard

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.