Luggers in the Bay St Ives

Arvorphoto Plus
9 106 3 United Kingdom
9 Sep 2011 9:02AM
For those who may be in the area or can come down tomorrow (Sat 10th Sep) and are interested, This is being
organised as part of St Ives September Festival

BOATS IN THE BAY 10.00am - 5.00pm
St Ives Harbour
The 5th annual celebration of luggers organised by the St
Ives Jumbo Association. The resident jumbos will be joined
by much larger luggers from Mounts Bay creating a
spectacle of sail in the Bay and activity in and around the
harbour to launch the Festival. Two years ago this event saw
more luggers sailing in the Bay than at any time since WW1.
Weather permitting, this year will top that.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

9 Sep 2011 9:35AM
oh bum, I was only there a bit back..I love St Ives Sad

hope you get lots of pictures to share with us Smile
User_Removed 10 4.6k 1 Scotland
9 Sep 2011 12:18PM
Visited St Ives earlier this summer. My first time in Cornwall and I just could not get over how cheap and tacky St Ives was. Yobbos wandering the streets without shirts, swigging lager from pint glasses at 10 in the morning. Best part was the "park and ride" train journey. Newquay was even worse - just like Blackpool without the tower! The real "pits" was Lands End (almost as dire as John o' Groats - and that's saying something).

Did find some very nice wee coastal villages though. Mostly on the south coast. St Mawes or Fowey for example.

RogBrown 13 3.1k 10 England
9 Sep 2011 12:52PM
We spent our honeymoon in St Ives 40-odd years ago & it was a really classy, genteel sort of place. Visited it again a few years ago & we too couldn't believe how tacky it had become. You also used to be able to wander round Lands End at will but now you have to pay umpteen quid for the "Lands End Experience". Yuck!! Sad
Geoffphoto 13 13.5k United Kingdom
9 Sep 2011 5:37PM
Shame that the weather will be crap tomorrow !!

I'll be at the local rugby derby, Redruth v Launceston with full wet weather gear !!! Sad

Quote:Yobbos wandering the streets without shirts, swigging lager from pint glasses at 10 in the morning.

Sorry about that - It was a long night !!!!!!
Smile
jane benge 16 99 United Kingdom
9 Sep 2011 7:01PM
For Leftforum. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience when visiting St. Ives. The best time to visit is the late autumn/winter/early spring, the walk from Carbis Bay to St. Ives is wonderful. I havent
experienced Yobos there at all but we have not been into Newquay Town for sometime due to its reputation, stick to the National Trust coastline and you will not be disappointed.
mrcal 15 1.0k
9 Sep 2011 7:27PM

Quote:You also used to be able to wander round Lands End at will but now you have to pay umpteen quid for the "Lands End Experience".

You only have to pay for the car park and any of the 'exciting experiences' on offer. Lands End itself it still freely accessible; just walk in from the SW coast path.

Quote:but we have not been into Newquay Town for sometime

I live in Newquay and go into the town centre about twice a year - that's enough.
Arvorphoto Plus
9 106 3 United Kingdom
9 Sep 2011 9:12PM
The tourist honey pots are always worse in the height of the summer season no matter where. St Ives itself has some fascinating narrow back streets away from the madding crowds. Of course, I like mrcal, have an advantage of out of season visits. So Cornwall should not be judged on the honey pots in the height of the season.

Quote:
Did find some very nice wee coastal villages though. Mostly on the south coast. St Mawes or Fowey for example.

There are many places and not necessarily on the coast, south or north and away from the larger harbour towns of Fowey/St Mawes etc

Note to self : Must wear shirt more often for the tourists, but the shorts are staying.... Tongue

But here's hoping to the weather tomorrow and the chance to catch the luggers in sail, a once familar sight around the coasts of Kernow.

Kernow Bys Vyken
9 Sep 2011 9:36PM
I did see some bare chested young men... they were playing volley ball... didnt look like hooligans to me ;-0 but I must be getting old I was more interested in the art shop opposite ha!

The narrow back streets of St Ives were lovely to me, I was on a mission to collect pictures of different doors and boy did I get them Smile

I went to Lands End a couple of years back and the very tacky tourist bit was horrid, and the cream teas extortiante! But the coastline itself was amazing, which is why I went.

I love Cornwall, theres good and bad everywhere it just depends where you want to home your gaze.
Arvorphoto Plus
9 106 3 United Kingdom
9 Sep 2011 9:42PM

Quote:I love Cornwall, theres good and bad everywhere it just depends where you want to home your gaze.

I totally agree
gerrys 16 18 United Kingdom
9 Sep 2011 11:18PM
I lived in Cornwall for many years and St Ives was always one of my favourite places. invariably the lager swilling yobbos wandering the streets are from other parts of the country. Obviously the best times to come are between October and April... they have their shirts on then. Grin
Anyway apart from that its a great place, still get down half a dozen times a year and would have loved to get there this weekend. As answeronawotsit sads there are some great doors. Great street names as well.
10 Sep 2011 3:41PM
Back Streets in St Ives on a Damp Day.

1-dsc04092.jpg

dsc04100.jpg

Arvorphoto Plus
9 106 3 United Kingdom
10 Sep 2011 9:43PM
I like the top image in particular, Eric. I have often looked at it, but never shot it.

Here's one of the Luggers today at St Ives. Sadly windy conditions prevailed which I think precluded against more taking part.

-dsc0812.jpg

User_Removed 10 4.6k 1 Scotland
10 Sep 2011 10:07PM

Quote:We spent our honeymoon in St Ives 40-odd years ago & it was a really classy, genteel sort of place. Visited it again a few years ago & we too couldn't believe how tacky it had become. You also used to be able to wander round Lands End at will but now you have to pay umpteen quid for the "Lands End Experience". Yuck!! Sad

One of the locals I spoke to blamed it on "stag nights and hen parties" but that doesn't explain why the shops seem to be stocked with "tourist tat".

On the other hand, that does not detract from the undoubted photo opps that the town provides. Great street photos Gypsyman. Catching the old guy with the kid's bucket and spade approaching the "men at work" sign is a real classic.
jane benge 16 99 United Kingdom
11 Sep 2011 8:01PM
A good photo opportunity will be the Sea Salt and Sail Festival to be held in July 2012. Plenty of Luggers, and the old crafts such as Lobster Pot making on view. Mousehole is not traffic friendly so
there will be a car park fee outside the town, I think it was about 3.00 for the day last time. Cream teas are very reasonable and there is plenty of FREE entertainment for children and
adults. True Cornish hospitality at it best. http://www.seasalts.co.uk. Please note there are very few Cornish people working for Cornwall County Council and the chairman until recently has commuted
from Yorkshire! I am Cornish and also object to the prices visiting families have to pay for car parking.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.