WEX Offer: Save 50 On The Olympus OM-D E-M1X

Lumix G6 Advert

Pete Plus
19 18.8k 97 England
23 Aug 2013 12:48AM
To the right you may see an advert for the Panasonic Lumix G6 (labelled See The Challenge). I'd urge you to click it...yes it helps us and our advertiser, but this one takes you to a really interesting landing page comparing the smaller camera with a DSLR and uses some web technology to show the differences. And what's really good is the gallery of photos taken in Indonesia (accesses from one of the menu tabs) by pro photographer David Eustace. There's some really top travel photography. Nice one Panasonic for making the technology a more visual experience.
Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
23 Aug 2013 3:04AM
Yes that was good.
ade123 7 285 1 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2013 7:24AM
Great interactive advertisement
ChrisV Plus
13 2.3k 26 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2013 2:39PM
I saw that when Panasonic put it up.

I have a number of Panasonic CSCs - so you could say if anything I lean towards their products - I'm very likely to buy a GX7 for example.

But were I not already sold on the benefits of m4/3 cameras in general and the Panasonic approach to ergonomics in particular, I'd be very likely to be put off by this advertisement. Why? It annoyed the hell out of me the first time I saw it and it still strikes me pretty much the same way: slickly produced, but fundamentally dishonest marketing that takes the consumer for a fool.

Let's look at the headlines it features:

Faster - it claims dramatically faster focus times than competing DSLRs and the example demonstrates it. But it is of course referring to live view mode only which doesn't affect focus lock speeds on mirrorless cameras - whilst for action shots no one would dream of using the LCD on a DSLR for framing. In viewfinder mode with C-AF activated many DSLRs would of course blow the G6 out of the water they've featured. Yes, it's useful to be able to frame low and high angle shots from a moveable LCD, but it's hardly typical - and that's the very first feature.

Closer - it demonstrates how you can get closer to the action and again, there is truth in this from the example. Comparing size only, the 10x superzoom featured is roughly the same length as a standard APSc 3x kit zoom. But it fails to headline it is optional - and adds a fair bit of expense, making the package more expensive than an equivalent DSLR. Again, it feels like a sleight of hand rather than the advantage of something equivalent.

Smarter - this is one where the Panasonic does score - it offers VERY GOOD WiFi implementation which comparably priced DSLRs at the moment lack. But note that equivalent price thing - it seems to matter here, but apparently it's not so important when we're considering optional lenses. Can they really have it both ways?

Sharper - most photographers think of sharper in terms of IQ, but this has nothing to do with that, it simply refers to touchscreen focus, which can be used anywhere on the LCD. Yes that's occasionally useful and those who frame images usually with the LCD screen may find themselves using it an awful lot. For those that use the viewfinder, it's not such an advantage. And of course it has nothing to do with how sharp your images will turn out unless you want to focus on something in the corner. And don't want to use AF lock.

I won't go on - as I say, I think there are very good reasons for buying a Panasonic m4/3 camera [although the G6 may find itself a bit of an orphan product once the GX7 appears and offers a better package [IMO] for not a massive amount of extra cash].

I just wish Panasonic didn't feel the need to resort to what I feel is misleading information and takes their customers for fools. I hope they will see this, or you will pass this feedback on to your advertiser. I want the brand to be successful, but don't feel this is the way for them to go about building a reputation. They make good cameras and there are very many real benefits to using them. None of these claims are out-and-out false, they are just well and truly over-sold.
Pete Plus
19 18.8k 97 England
23 Aug 2013 7:34PM

Quote:None of these claims are out-and-out false, they are just well and truly over-sold.

I'd be very surprised if any company undersold their product. They key thing for me was the slick production of everything.
23 Aug 2013 9:30PM

Quote:slickly produced, but fundamentally dishonest marketing that takes the consumer for a fool

Yes but these camera`s are geared towards the mass consumer market, and all the manufactures are guilty of this, take the runs of adverts on TV from Nikon, Canon etc etc, you can`t blame them Smile
ChrisV Plus
24 Aug 2013 4:00AM
It's really no excuse to sat they're all at it. This piece of advertising/marketing is undeniably very slick, but it's amongst the most deliberately dishonest in its selections and omissions as I've seen from any camera manufacturer.

I don't say this as someone who is harbouring one of those strange brand aversions one encounters amongst 'camera fans' (I don't think it's something anyone serious about photography should concern themselves with). Like I say I am generally sold on the advantages of 4/3 systems and I prefer Panasonic's ergonomics and UI over Olympus. But this sort of thing cannot but diminish my respect for the company.
24 Aug 2013 7:40PM

Quote:It's really no excuse to sat they're all at it. This piece of advertising/marketing is undeniably very slick, but it's amongst the most deliberately dishonest in its selections and omissions as I've seen from any camera manufacturer

No its not, there comparing the camera`s live view against a DSLR`s live view, the differences are very obvious and real.
ChrisV Plus
24 Aug 2013 9:54PM
It isn't headlined that they're comparing live view- obviously, you know that, I know that, but for anyone who doesn't know, the strong suggestion is that the G6 focuses faster than a typical DSLR. If you know that isn't true generally, it insults the intelligence, if you don't it appears an attempt to hoodwink the uninformed. Neither of these things is particularly laudable to say the least.
24 Aug 2013 10:02PM
Yes but they are spelling it out Chris Smile
ChrisV Plus
24 Aug 2013 10:52PM
You think so?
24 Aug 2013 11:02PM
Yes

challenge.jpg
ChrisV Plus
24 Aug 2013 11:34PM
We will have to agree to differ, which is not unusual. Others can judge for themselves and I'm perfectly content with that.
SlowSong Plus
12 9.3k 30 England
25 Aug 2013 10:06AM
What a shame the new 14-140 power ois isn't compatible with the G5. Sad
ChrisV Plus
25 Aug 2013 11:41AM

Quote:What a shame the new 14-140 power ois isn't compatible with the G5. Sad

AFAIK it is a m4/3 standard lens and therefore compatible with ANY m4/3 body. It can take advantage of the higher frame rates offered by the G6 and GH3, but that's more about the limitations of the camera.

It's pretty expensive on its own though - almost 600 currently, which puts it in similar price territory to Nikon's 18-200 VR covering similar focal range. I'd doubt manufacturing costs would be anything like as much. It seems pretty fair value in the bundle though, where its IRO 400 extra.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.