Affinity Photo - professional photo editing with 50% off!

Mac or PC

LesF 13 182 9
14 Dec 2006 9:06AM
I am in the market to buy a new computer, I aready have a laptop on XP which I am keeping and I am thinking of an iMac. Your thoughts and comment please on the good or the bad of an iMac.
I will be using it mainly for photography.

Les F

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat 15 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
14 Dec 2006 9:12AM
How big is your wallet? Both these types will give Photo Imaging facilities, BUT you will pay an extorsionate price for the Mac variant, Plus you'll have to grow a beard, and pretend to be a hippy, Or an Arty Farty type hell bent on the wonderfull use of Acrylics.
culturedcanvas 14 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
14 Dec 2006 9:18AM
Well I'm a Mac user and am hardly the hippy type .... (Check the photo on the team page and notice the distinct lack of hair !!)

Smile
JJGEE 14 7.6k 18 England
14 Dec 2006 9:27AM
If you live near an Apple Store go and visit, try them out, attend some demos, ( listed on the stores website) and have a chat with the staff.

If your budget will allow it go for the 24" iMAC with some extra RAM.

The only downside I can immediately think of is switching any "Windows" OS software appplications to MAC OS, which you may have to buy again or get the license transferred.

Oh - and make sure your internet connection Modem / Router is compatible with a MAC - this could cause you some problems.
cameracat 15 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
14 Dec 2006 9:37AM

Quote:Well I'm a Mac user and am hardly the hippy type .... (Check the photo on the team page and notice the distinct lack of hair !!)

Ah! So your the other type

Quote:Arty Farty type hell bent on the wonderfull use of Acrylics.
14 Dec 2006 9:42AM
Well I do run an art company ... but I'm hardly arty farty to use your expression.

D

(By the way the answer to the original question is buy a Mac!)

Smile
Sus 15 3.2k 9 England
14 Dec 2006 9:48AM
I was told firmly this morning when discussing this very question is that the only reason 'arty' types like Macs is cos they're easier to use for technophobes and come in pretty colours!
14 Dec 2006 9:52AM
The word you are looking for is more efficient to use ... for day to day work I use PC's but for photo work and any marketing design I use the Mac's ... simply because they are better than the majority of PC's and are more reliable under heavy processing.

Dan
keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
14 Dec 2006 9:55AM
Some of us are old enough to know why we used Macs and it was .bmps and the fact that there was nothing else.

These days it makes no difference.
14 Dec 2006 9:56AM
I'll remember that next time the PC's are strung up with viruses and Im cursing the bloody operating system!

Smile
strawman 15 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
14 Dec 2006 9:58AM
To be honest I would go for standerdisation. So pick one OS and go with it for both machines. with a lot of software you can run a base machine and a lap top with the same license on the same OS, providing you only use one at a time.

Plus it is easier if they both work the same. It is a pain if they work differently. MAC's once had an advantage, these days it is more a perception and trend thing.

Buy a decent machine from a decent vendor.
14 Dec 2006 10:01AM
Only ever had one virus ...and it shut down all our Macs overnight
14 Dec 2006 10:03AM
Keith ... if someone said Dolly Parton had big tits you'd say she was flat chested just for the fun of it

Wink
14 Dec 2006 10:07AM
If I ever get to the point where I understand that last comment I'll book into Ward 10.

or has the EPZ forum just become a non forum?
14 Dec 2006 10:12AM
Keith ... you should book in now ... it took you over 4 minutes to come back with that one ... maybe the minds on it's way out ???

Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.