Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Mac Users

Jasper87 Plus
7 1.7k 148 England
20 Mar 2017 9:31PM
Would this be a reasonable choice for a portable computer (Mac) that will run the LR and PS download subscription?

Apple MacBook Air MMGF2B/A 13.3-Inch Laptop (Silver) - (Intel Core i5 1.6 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, Intel HD Graphics 6000, OS X El Capitan)

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MartinBrown 6 241 England
21 Mar 2017 8:40AM
Quite happily. Although id look at increasing the RAM and have an external drive for storage.

While 8 gb will run just fine any rendering or hi-res editing will slow done a little.

The SSD will be fine for macOS and Adobe products plus your usual applications but keep your images of it especially if you shoot in RAW as this will fill very quickly, so an external NAS or hard drive is needed.
Philh04 Plus
11 825 United Kingdom
21 Mar 2017 8:51AM
Yes it will quite happily as said, I use a similar spec (regards memory and storage) macbook pro when out and about with no problems at all... you will want at least two external drives one for everyday work and one as a back up...
Jasper87 Plus
7 1.7k 148 England
21 Mar 2017 8:56AM
Many thanks to you both, I'm looking into it for someone whose current mac book specs won't allow the supscription to LR & PS.
ChrisV Plus
10 1.6k 26 United Kingdom
21 Mar 2017 11:15AM
If that's what you [or the person you're asking for] has, it will work just fine. Personally I'd steer clear of the Macbook Airs. Yes they're very light, but these days not that much lighter than a standard Macbook Pro, which is a lot more powerful, has a higher resolution display and will give you more 'bang for buck'.

Although the newer top models with the control strip are breathtakingly pricey for what you get IMO, so I'd also avoid those.

As others have said if you can spec up the RAM [DIY is hard but far cheaper than Apple's price for additional, even if you are effectively 'throwing away' some of the original] it will be a big benefit for performance. The SSD drives are extremely fast, but 128Gb is not a lot these days - fortunately you can buy additional storage relatively cheaply and USB3 is pretty quick to access.
Chris_L 3 3.6k United Kingdom
21 Mar 2017 11:33AM
Nobody has asked what size are the images that will be edited with Ps and Lr?

There's a point above 36mp where Lr in particular becomes very sluggish unless it has a faster processor and more RAM. Also graphics acceleration becomes critical.

For 24mp (and smaller) files the spec you mention will be fine.
Philh04 Plus
11 825 United Kingdom
21 Mar 2017 12:16PM
Indeed the Macbook pro is a Retina screen...

Quote:[DIY is hard but far cheaper than Apple's price for additional, even if you are effectively 'throwing away' some of the original

I may be wrong here but I don't think you can DIY on the newer Macs... at least on the Air it is soldered to the motherboard.
ChrisV Plus
21 Mar 2017 2:02PM
Not 100% sure Phil - I think some is soldered to the Motherboard and some is in the usual slots. But the unibody MacBooks, lovely as they are, are absolute buggers to get into. I've been contemplating replacing the 128Gb SSD in mine, but it's a bit of a daunting prospect. Apple do charge absolutely silly money still for upping the specs. I was lucky when I got mine, it being a 'special' that had double the standard RAM, so it's usually OK [just about] in that regard. At work we spec'd up our iMacs to the maximum because it was relatively cheap and easy to do with 3rd party memory. [That's the 27" ones - the smaller models are again swines to get into].
Philh04 Plus
11 825 United Kingdom
21 Mar 2017 5:21PM
Having done a little research it would appear that both Macbook Pro and Air now have their memory modules soldered to the motherboard...

My 21.5 iMac was quite easy to upgrade with Crucial memory, just a panel on the base to remove and the slots are in view, I wonder if it possible to upgrade new ones though as the case is now slimmer and has a rounded back.

I am considering adding an SSD to the iMac and wonder how simple that would be.

I love using Apple but as you say they charge silly money to up the specs.
ChrisV Plus
21 Mar 2017 5:57PM
There's a panel in the back of the newish [I think ours are 2014] 27" iMacs to access memory. IIRC the similar vintage 21.5" models needed taking apart [like the macbooks] to get at any vacant memory slots]. Again I'm just going on my own [flawed] memory, but I think there are something like four slots in total with two of them being occupied with soldered memory Apple kit out as a baseline spec.

I love/hate Apple because while their machines are intuitive and reliable I think it's all too easy to argue that some of the design decisions are more to benefit the company's bottom line than the customer. That's true to a certain extent with all commercial outfits, but it's one of a few things Apple seems to have off to a fine art.
Jasper87 Plus
7 1.7k 148 England
21 Mar 2017 6:42PM
This is far more complicated than I envisioned. Basically our daughter has an old mac book that won't take the LR/PS subscription downloads. She is currently in Canada and uses a Canon 100D so the raw files are not that big. My thinking is I could get something suitable in the airport on the way out to visit her in May. Is this feasible and what should I be looking at?
ChrisV Plus
22 Mar 2017 10:49AM
Have you checked airport prices? Will you be able to save the VAT as you're traveling outside the EU? If not I'd forget about the airport shops - in my experience their prices are always top dollar even if they have the opportunity of saving duty, it's in their pockets, not yours.

The Air is the lowest cost option starting at 949. But the entry level Pro, at 1249 is quite a bit more powerful, has a higher resolution, retina screen, more ports and is only now fractionally heavier than the Air. You can also get 100 off that price at present at Currys, who very often also will have copies of last year's models still in stock [and there aren't huge differences in spec] at substantial discounts.
seahawk Plus
9 1.0k United Kingdom
22 Mar 2017 11:38AM
Why not look on Apple's website for a refurbished Mac - there are often some very good deals there.
LenShepherd 9 3.3k United Kingdom
15 Apr 2017 9:34AM

Quote:Have you checked airport prices? Will you be able to save the VAT as you're traveling outside the EU? If not I'd forget about the airport shops - in my experience their prices are always top dollar even if they have the opportunity of saving duty, it's in their pockets, not yours.

Generally +1
Airport shops are generally more expensive (despite no tax) than good UK discount prices with tax paid from reliable sources; though Apple products are not normally available at discounts.
You are also likely to get a "UK keyboard" model rather than USA/Canada version.
As sales taxes are generally lower in USA I would give her some money toward an upgrade purchase.
StrayCat Plus
13 18.2k 3 Canada
15 Apr 2017 11:11AM
I always was under the assumption airport shops paid exorbitant rents, hence high retail prices.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.