Get 50% Off Affinity Photo Today!

Machine gun photography

mikehit 11 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
22 Sep 2014 11:38AM
Burst mode is also useful for those times when shutter speed is on the edge of handhold-ability - often you will get aty least one that is useable
Big Bri 19 16.6k United Kingdom
22 Sep 2014 12:27PM

Quote:Burst mode is also useful for those times when shutter speed is on the edge of handhold-ability - often you will get aty least one that is useable

Really? I usually find the exact opposite Smile
Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
22 Sep 2014 6:07PM

Quote:I would constantly find myself pulling and squeezing to maintain focus and I have to keep adjusting the plain of focus, to keep up I needed to get quite quick at this, its pretty impossible if your machine gunning and the viewfinder keeps blanking out.

I've always set up my camera to use back button focus with AF tracking enabled to allow for that kind of situation, you can then lock focus and watch the action ( both eyes, one to the viewfinder and the other open taking in movement) and release the seperate shutter button to take the shot more precisely without worrying about refocusing. Never used a Lensbaby though and suspect it might not be as effective with the changes of focal plane, but it's fine with a standard fast lens. I've only ever tried shooting martial arts once and I got okay results, but as a non participant I couldn't predict the action well enough for great results.

Quote:I've always set up my camera to use back button focus with AF tracking enabled to allow for that kind of situation,

Did you check out my link, there is no autofocus in a lensbaby.

One thing I have found using these for martial arts is that I can often obtain focus quicker and more accurately than the regular event guys using high end kit and fast lenses.
cuffit Plus
13 350 7 England
22 Sep 2014 6:40PM
While Pete did pose the question along with provision of answers on why people use motor drives, many of the responses appear to come from those with experience and a good knowledge of their camera and favourite subjects; quite a few more hint that machine gunning might indicate a lack of skill, thought or knowledge. A number also point to using 'autofocus' as something that might not be required, nor continuous focus or other add-ons. Fair enough, perhaps this may all be relevant from an experienced photographers point of view.

However, I would ask why it matters as long as each person gets something out of how they shoot - whether informed or uninformed. Perhaps the people who used motor drives were new to their kit or, alternatively, thought that with the aircraft over the scene in such short order that they would maximise the chance of getting one shot at least. More experienced photographers may well have taken a single shot using their tried and trusted recipe and nailed it with just one exposure. Autofocus - perhaps they use it because their eyesight is not so good. Who knows, who cares?

Unless you know the person who is taking the photos and see how they have their camera set up, there seems little point in trying to figure out what they are doing as you will not see the results. I make a mess of enough photos even when I think I know what I am doing, life is too short to think about what others are up to unless you can learn from it.
Chris_L 6 5.5k United Kingdom
22 Sep 2014 9:59PM
I imagine that the unnecessary noisy machine-gunning spoiled a poignant moment. I don't see any harm in speculating as to why some photographers do what they do?
keithh 16 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
22 Sep 2014 10:12PM
People were machine gunning a Lancaster Bomber?
Carabosse 17 41.5k 270 England
22 Sep 2014 10:16PM

Quote:People were machine gunning a Lancaster Bomber?

OMG! shocking-light.jpg
shocked-light.jpg

Grin
lobsterboy Plus
16 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
22 Sep 2014 10:35PM

Quote:People were machine gunning a Lancaster Bomber?

It's traditional...
NeilSchofield Plus
13 1.6k 1 United Kingdom
22 Sep 2014 11:28PM
Usually only over France, Belgium, Holland and Germany though
TanyaH Plus
17 1.3k 409 United Kingdom
23 Sep 2014 1:16PM
I think the only time I ever did a bit of maching-gunning was because my finger kind of cramped 'cos of arthritis and I couldn't lift the bugger off in time ... so in my defence, it was accidental machine gunning ... Grin
mikehit 11 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
23 Sep 2014 2:06PM
Don't come the innocent on here. Why was your camera even set to 'continuous fire' instead of 'single shot', eh? Eh? Tongue
TanyaH Plus
17 1.3k 409 United Kingdom
23 Sep 2014 2:28PM
Oh ... ummm ... errrrrr ... is there a button that makes it go faster?! Cor, I didn't know that Wink
C'mon though - I AM innocent. At my age, innocence is a virtue (again ...) Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.