Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Macintosh: Adobe Lightroom or Capture One Pro

mdpontin 16 6.0k Scotland
18 Apr 2015 6:55PM
As many know, Apple has discontinued development of Aperture, and in fact it is no longer available on the Mac App Store. Instead they have released Photos for Mac OS X, which is intended as a much-needed replacement for the venerable iPhoto. Although Photos does provide basic editing tools, it is clearly not a viable replacement for Aperture, at least in its present form. It's possible, perhaps, that Apple will add more advanced capabilities in future releases.

I've been looking at alternatives to Aperture, and at the moment the prime contenders for me are Phase One's Capture One Pro, and Adobe's Lightroom. Both appear to offer a combination of RAW conversion, editing, metadata management and digital asset management. There may be other products out there which would fit the bill, but so far these are the two most promising-looking options. I've used Lightroom before in my Windows-using past, and was happy with it. On the other hand, Capture One Pro seems (after a brief look at the Phase One website and a few of their videos) to be a shade more Aperture-like. Maybe.

I was wondering if any Mac users had a strong opinion one way or the other about these two products, or for that matter any other such applications?

Note: I'm not looking for a Photoshop or Photoshop-equivalent. For that, I have Pixelmator and I'm very satisfied with that.
Chris_L 7 5.5k United Kingdom
18 Apr 2015 7:42PM
In my opinion the company that has the money, expertise and resources to develop, maintain and update a raw processing engine and has the market share across mobile, pc and Mac is Adobe.

Betting on another product, which may fall by the wayside as Aperture did, would be foolish.

Lightroom is a terrific tool as well.
PaulMillar 9 83 2 Scotland
18 Apr 2015 7:54PM
Hi, I think it depends on your processing style. I've used both Lightroom and Capture. Well I am still a light room fan. I thought capture did a better fine art style for mono. They ate very close, and for the future Lightroom should be upgraded. But if captue sales remain with the Phase one set, I would think this is like buying a canon or nikon and just using there software. Lightroom has be produce as a dedicated tool...........just my thoughts.

Paul.
18 Apr 2015 8:09PM
Thanks for your replies.

Another (supplementary) question, I suppose, is whether the perpetual/standalone license is better, or the subscription model? I'm a bit wary of subscription, but it does seem to be the way things are going.

Cheers,
Doug
JJGEE 16 7.9k 18 England
18 Apr 2015 8:44PM

Quote:and for the future Lightroom should be upgraded.

Coming on Tuesday, Lightroom 6 Wink
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
18 Apr 2015 9:40PM
Don't discount Capture One based on LR's all pervading presence. Lightroom is based upon ex-phase one tech and they'll be around for a good while yet.
Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
18 Apr 2015 11:06PM

Quote:
Quote:and for the future Lightroom should be upgraded.

Coming on Tuesday, Lightroom 6 Wink

If the rumors are true its going to annoy some people Smile
19 Apr 2015 11:27AM
Thanks everyone. I get the impression that there's a high degree of equivalence between the two products, so it really comes down to whether market dominance is a key factor. Certainly a valid point to consider, but hey...I'm a Mac user, so market dominance isn't necessarily the clinching argument for me. Wink
JJGEE 16 7.9k 18 England
19 Apr 2015 1:29PM
A point to remember perhaps.

Capture One is a product from Phase One, who I believe created the software to initially to support their own digital cameras / digital backs
Also, a bespoke version for Sony is now bundled , for free, with all new Sony Cameras ( their own software was totally useless ! )

So I think Capture One will be around for a while Smile

Well, I hope so, as I moved over to Capture One on a permanent basis from Lightroom 5 at he beginning of the year , albeit only for my Sony A900 !

19 Apr 2015 2:57PM
You can definitely try Lr for free for several weeks. I think it's the same for Capture One. It makes sense to process a shoot with Lr then one with Capture One and decide on that basis.

Be sure to watch basic tutorial videos for both programs. I hated Lightroom until I learned how to use it properly.

What I wouldn't do is shell out for either at the minute, try before you buy
19 Apr 2015 9:40PM
If your ever planning on using any of the profile editor`s`s or makers your probably better off going Lr, capture one does not support any of this.
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
19 Apr 2015 10:08PM
Capture One Pro has long supported LCC profiles, in fact much longer than LR.
19 Apr 2015 10:15PM
How do I import the dcp files into capture 1 then keith ?

As far as I know and I have used both Lr and Capture 1, capture 1 has never supported it.
19 Apr 2015 10:28PM
I`m aware of some of the ICC profile makers Keith but there not the same and there not commonly known about or used.

Such as this

http://www.dohm.com.au/coca/
19 Apr 2015 11:12PM
There are converters that will let you use them in Capture One - for example

Am looking forward to the new Lightroom 6. At last face recognition without any plug-ins or Picasa metadata tricks. Remember when my mother died and I wanted to collect photos of her for the funeral Picasa instantly displayed every image she was in from a library of 25k images. I miss that in Lr and glad it looks like we'll be getting it.

Also likely is HDR and Panorama without a round-trip to Ps.

For me, another highlight is GPU acceleration, if you have lots of CUDA cores in your GPU it may speed up export processing massively

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.