Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Macintosh: Adobe Lightroom or Capture One Pro

Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
19 Apr 2015 11:28PM
I don`t think it will make much use CUDA Chris, it will more than likely be open CL as used by Photoshop.

Lots of rumors circulating, V6 should be a good upgrade.
20 Apr 2015 12:51AM
There are converters that will let you use them in Capture One - for example

He`s going on about converting presets Chris, not DCP profiles, re read, looks like he`s getting mixed up between pre-sets and profiles.

He recommends the same software I linked to a few post ago.
Chris_L 7 5.5k United Kingdom
20 Apr 2015 2:47AM
No he says he was searching for a way to convert presets, which he didn't find, but says what he did find was a way to convert DCP profiles and he links to this http://dcp2icc.sourceforge.net/ which converts profiles
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
20 Apr 2015 4:48AM
Dcp profiles are largely used by Adobe products. I have no idea of Phase One profiles can be exported to LR but that's immaterial.
alansnap 17 577 26 United Kingdom
20 Apr 2015 8:26AM
Hi,
I was along term user of Aperture, and I wanted a comprehensive system that would permit me to edit as I had done in the past with the ability to edit in PS/Elements just as I had done with Aperture. After some deliberation I took out a one year licence with Adobe and I'm very pleased. I can import my files from aperture easily and I've set up standard edits that allow me to do basic adjustments in a couple of clicks. LR allows me to work in my RAW files just like Aperture and all the basic layers type stuff is there without the need to create layers, just like in Aperture.
Then I can edit in Photoshop CC when I want to for converging verticals or complex cloning. When I stop editing in PS the file appears in my LR library paired with its original. So basically it's an easy swap.
You can, as someone has said take out a 30 day trial, os I'd do that. If you go for LR then the monthly service is a bit of a no-brainer. I was a little suspicious at first, but for a little more than the price of a single LR licence you get Photoshop CC too, and importantly you get all the updates. LR6 is about to arrive and will be part of my deal. At around 100 a year the cost is roughly what most of us would be prepared to pay for software annually anyway. The one thing you don't get is the easy ability to share photos with other people and I miss that a lot. I have to export into Photos and share that way, because the Adobe version is complex and costs more money.
By the way, do you really mean iPhoto or Photos? If you mean the former you need to update your operating system. It's free and brings all the security updates as well as new features. I'm on Yosemite 10.10.3
Cheers,
Alan
20 Apr 2015 4:19PM

Quote:No he says he was searching for a way to convert presets, which he didn't find, but says what he did find was a way to convert DCP profiles and he links to this http://dcp2icc.sourceforge.net/ which converts profiles

Yeh sorry Chris I was having a bit of a funny day Smile
20 Apr 2015 4:20PM

Quote:Dcp profiles are largely used by Adobe products. I have no idea of Phase One profiles can be exported to LR but that's immaterial.

Yes adobe Keith.
20 Apr 2015 4:34PM

Quote:
Quote:Dcp profiles are largely used by Adobe products. I have no idea of Phase One profiles can be exported to LR but that's immaterial.

Yes adobe Keith.

Some other raw processors use DCP profiles as well including Iridient (if your a mac user)

http://www.iridientdigital.com/
mdpontin 16 6.0k Scotland
17 Jun 2015 10:55PM
By the way, I opted for Capture One Pro 8. A good set of useful tools, a decent user interface, and excellent quality results. Thanks to all for advice and suggestions.
kilo363 11 3 Scotland
2 Jul 2015 12:44PM

Quote:Thanks for your replies.

Another (supplementary) question, I suppose, is whether the perpetual/standalone license is better, or the subscription model? I'm a bit wary of subscription, but it does seem to be the way things are going.

Cheers,
Doug

adobe photographers CC package. 8.57 per month constantly updated, Bridge, Lightroom and Photoshop.

I can see no reason why anyone wouldn't TBH
24 Jul 2015 4:30PM

Quote:In my opinion the company that has the money, expertise and resources to develop, maintain and update a raw processing engine and has the market share across mobile, pc and Mac is Adobe.

Betting on another product, which may fall by the wayside as Aperture did, would be foolish.

Lightroom is a terrific tool as well.

The fact is Lightroom started it's life as a Raw converter called Rawshooter (it was a good programme with very little Raw conversion destruction) Adobe purchased it and turned it into Lightroom, however in doing so they ruined it. Lightroom was quite destructive to the pixels of images in conversion when tested against programs such as Capture One at the time. If you took the same image and used Lightroom to convert it open it in Photoshop and take it to 800% it was pixelated beyond recognition, however do the same conversion in Capture One using the same file then open and take it to 800% in Photoshop the image was still recognisable showing the destruction of Adobes Lightroom conversion engine.

Lightroom has slowly improved over the years and with each version, however the engine and algorithms used are still no match for those in Capture One.

The one area that Lightroom stands out is in the cataloguing department for this it is much better than Capture One.

Having been involved in the development of Rawshooter, and used both Lightroom and Capture One I would say Capture One still has the overall edge regarding the quality of the Raw conversions, also I doubt it will disappear anytime soon.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.