Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 3-Months For FREE!

Macro adapter or Lens Nikon

Looking to do some close up work for my exam unit of my a level photography course, but i don't really i have the funds to buy a nice expensive macro lens, the lenses i have so far are a Nikon 18-70mm and a Tamron 18-270mm, just wondered if anyone new of any adapters, filters or cheap macro lens that will fit a Nikon D2X?

Many Thanks

Alice
mikehit 11 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
25 Feb 2014 6:55PM
How much money do you have available?
altitude50 16 21.4k United Kingdom
25 Feb 2014 7:14PM
I have just bought a mint used 25 Sigma 50mm manual Macro lens for a Minolta MD mount. With a 11 adapter it fits Nikon, but without AE or AF, so it can be done cheaply, with limitations.
AndS 8 2.2k United Kingdom
25 Feb 2014 7:22PM
You could look at a reversing ring, this screws into your filter thread allowing you to mount lens back to front or a coupling ring to mount 2 lens face to face, both cheap options, have a look here Smile
bigpete 7 59 United Kingdom
25 Feb 2014 7:25PM
I bought a Sigma EX DG 50mm macro lens for 95 off Ebay ,, it's canon fit but im sure with plenty of patience similar could be done for nikon
discreetphoton Plus
16 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
25 Feb 2014 7:41PM
Have a look this. That was done with the 18-270 and a Dorr +3 close up dioptre, which I bought for 20. More dioptre useage here.

The other option is extension tubes (ignore the posts with 70-200 in the title). They are a bit more fiddly to use, but ultimately give better results.

If you do wish to use the 18-270 in either of these ways, it works best between 100 and 150mm.
I've got about 100-200 I can spare for a lense. Looked at the lense reversing thing might have to read up some more on it Grin
Niknut Plus
11 2.9k 82 United Kingdom
25 Feb 2014 7:48PM
Just had a look on 'Amazon' & there's a set of 4 Close up Filters (67mm to fit your 18-70) for 10 !!!!......it don't come much cheaper than that !

Depending on which 'strength' filter you use, you can get in really close, & have the facility to 'stack' the filters for extreme close ups !....you just
need to use a small aperture, say f11, to maintain decent quality..........

Worth a try to test your project, before laying out any expense on a dedicated macro-lens.

Hope that helps !Smile
JonnyNI 9 2.5k
26 Feb 2014 7:02AM
You could try a wee 50mm 1.8D reverse mounted, I've had some reasonable results using this lens.

mikehit 11 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
26 Feb 2014 8:22AM
The dioptre lenses Niknut refers to are a great way to get started. The images are usually acceptable in the centre and falls off to the edge of the frame - more expensive version improve that edge performance (I have the Canon 500D which is a dual element to correct for that). With macro that size, the DOF is quite shallow so the decrease in image quality at the edge is not as noticeable as you would think. But if you are only doing this for course and otherwise have little real interest in macro it is a good way to do it.
16 Apr 2014 12:19PM
Raynox makes very nice macro adapters. check them out.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.