Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Macro lens

Kate11171 15 36 United Kingdom
10 May 2010 2:12PM
Hi I am looking at getting a macro lens for my EOS 450D. I have looked on the internet and the forums and have decided that my best choice would be Sigma 100 F2.8 macro.
Can you please tell me what the DG and EX mean. It also says Sigma fit, will these not fit my canon?

Thanks for your help

Kay
mondmagu 11 75 Ireland
10 May 2010 2:31PM
Hi Kay,from my understanding the DG stands for lens suitable for full frame sensors or reduced size sensors.(Similar to Canon EF lenses).
EX indicates that the lens is of a higher quality i.e. better build and higher grade optics.

Regards
Des
justin c 17 5.1k 36 England
10 May 2010 3:02PM

Quote:It also says Sigma fit, will these not fit my canon?

A Sigma-fit one won't, no. But they also do them in Canon and Nikon fit.
Overread 13 4.1k 19 England
10 May 2010 4:22PM
Here is the lens abbriviation listing from the sigma website
lens abbriviations

Main sigma site (UK)
Sigma

And yes as Justin says sigma make there lenses in a variety of mount types so you have to make sure that you get the correct mount type for your camera body otherwise the lens will not fit
lemmy 14 2.9k United Kingdom
11 May 2010 7:05PM
Kate, it's as Des says and you can, of course, buy it in Canon.

I have one of these and a very good lens it is too.

For your information, I've put a product shot I've done with a crop at 100% here
JamesGarfield 12 915 4 United Kingdom
11 May 2010 9:40PM
Hi Kay
you don't mention what your budget is maybe that is why you have chosen the sigma lens? If buget is not the reason then I would recommend the Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM Macro Lens. I had one of these for my 450D and thought the images it produced were brilliant. The link is to one of the images I took with it as are some of the others on my website. See the "Reflection" pic

Hope this helps?
photofrenzy 14 424 2 United Kingdom
13 May 2010 10:46AM
If your buying a dedicated sigma lens for your aps-c camera then you want to be going for the Sigma EX DC lenses.

The DC lens is especially designed for the APS-C sensor , DG however does not mean exclusively for FULL FRAME sensors as earlier stated.

DG means the lens is designed specifically for DIGITAL sensors as they have improved light distribution from centre to edge which is a very important factor for digital sensors,

Also usefull for 35mm especially when using slide film. However this does not mean dedicated to full frame sensors, My advise would be to buy the DC EX lens as they have the reduced image circle designed for the smaller APS-C - DX sensor Wink
dlegros 19 217 England
14 May 2010 12:22AM
The DC lenses tend to be cheaper than the full frame equivalent (less glass), but remember - if you want to upgrade to a full-frame sensor in the future, you will be limited by the DC lens as it won't render a full-frame image, it will be vignetted.
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
14 May 2010 12:35AM
I have the version of this lens you want, the 105mm f2.8 EX DG one in the Canon mount version. It works fine on crop or full frame cameras and you would get no advantage in using a DC one (crop sensor only). The advantage of the DG lens is if you ever go full frame it will work just as well. IF you get the DC version (I presume people mean the 70mm lens) you will end up selling it.

If you want to get Canon lenses, again I would pick the 100mm EF macro over the 60mm EF-S macro as the choice of cameras you can use it on is greater. Also for things like insects the longer focal length helps. You can capture exactly the same image, just the longer focal length lens allows you to be further back from the subject, always and advantage for insects.
14 May 2010 1:08AM
Nope the sigma 70mm macro is DG - totally fullframe compatable, as to is the sigma 50mm macro.

Infact sigma really only have wide angle lenses in their DC range - things like the 18-200mm, 10-20mm and a few other zooms and the only prime I noted was the 4.5mm fisheye lens. The rest of their range (As I could see) was all DG and so full fullframe compatable.
14 May 2010 8:59AM
Good news that, so is it only the canon 60mm macro that is not full frame compatible macro lens?
Graywolf 14 1.0k United Kingdom
14 May 2010 1:15PM
My understanding is that a DG lens on a crop sensor has the advantage that the image is formed from light coming from the centre of the optic and not from closer to the edge as it would on a full frame sensor, thus minimizing some of the aberrations found from lighting coming from the lens edge.
I've never been very sure how true this is.
14 May 2010 2:22PM
It is not strictly correct but it is in terms of the end effect. Light is gathered from the width of the optic.

When you crop from a lens you take from the centre of the projected image which is where there is least optical aberration and where the image is brightest. So as the projected image gets worse as you move away from the centre of the optic you are picking from the area of lens best performance. But, if you are trying to achieve the same end image resolution, the crop image demands a greater resolving performance from the lens.

So think of it this way. The crop sensor demands greater resolution, more lines per mm, from the lens than an equal resolution full frame sensor, but the full frame camera demands better control of lens aberrations at the edges of the frame. This can cause a lot of consternation amongst some as they look at say 4/3 lenses and think wow that projects better lines per mm than a full frame lens, but it has to in order for the much smaller sensor to resolve the same detail.
14 May 2010 5:27PM

Quote:Good news that, so is it only the canon 60mm macro that is not full frame compatible macro lens?

The new Tamron 60mm macro is also crop sensor only. Other than that I think all the other macro lenses on the market are fullframe. Generally though the 50mm options from canon and sigma are not the best builds (optically good from what I hear though) so the sigma 70mm is about the shortest you can go with a fullframe macro lens - barring the Tokina 35mm macro

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.