Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Magazine Subscription Poll

raziel_uk 17 4.9k
23 Aug 2005 3:52AM
[Sorry if I'm starting another thread on the same topic]

I've just seen the results so far of this poll and it does show that there are still many of us who would prefer to have a "proper" magazine sent to us in the post each issue. In fact the number of people who would prefer this is nearly 10 times that of any other option!!

Just goes to show that even in this day and age the number of people who want a "hard copy" is still high enough for traditional magazine companies not to worry.

I think I know why though. Compared with the other two stated options: you can take your magazine away with you (can't think many of us have internet connections on a plane to view our "online magazine").

A magazine takes up a lot less room than a laptop (if you have the PDF version) and is just easier to slip into your bag and whip it out (oo-er) at a bus stop or on a train etc.

Plus, you can sit with it on your lap while you follow the instructions on how to do the latest photo editing technique, whereas you'd have to either print a copy off the website or the PDF file. If you did this for all the articles you might just as well have a properly bound magazine (which will have more than likely cost you less than all that printing anyway).

Ashley
digicammad 18 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2005 3:57AM
I wonder how this will have changed in 10-20 years, when we all have access to the electronic fabric they are developing now for use as monitors, books, papers, tellys, etc.

Ian
spaceman 17 5.3k 3 Wales
23 Aug 2005 4:01AM
Although I don't read magazines or newspapers I agree with what you're saying. Some years ago some media guru said that print was dead, that in the future people would simply download books instead. What a dullard. Can you imagine reading an entire novel via a monitor?
raziel_uk 17 4.9k
23 Aug 2005 4:04AM
We've had television for sixty odd years and radio for around 100 years and for this length of time we've been able to get up to date news. Yet an awful lot of newspapers are still sold every day selling out of date articles!

Personally, I think unless traditional print is banned people will still buy books, magazines, etc. Like digital television - many people are only switching over to it because the government are forcing them to (as in switching off analogue in a few years).

Ashley
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
23 Aug 2005 4:07AM

Quote:Can you imagine reading an entire novel via a monitor?

E books are a huge growth market at the moment and many 3G phone companies are now looking at them seriously. You can buy dedicated readers already. The phone idea is that all net access via 3G will be FREE and you will pay to download. This will include your daily paper, mags, books etc all onto an E Reader.
raziel_uk 17 4.9k
23 Aug 2005 4:11AM

Quote:... many 3G phone companies are now looking at them seriously.

Seeing as the 3G takeup in Europe has been exceptionally poor perhaps the phone companies should look at how they get customers first!

I saw on Gadgets, Gadgets, Gadgets a little while back that one of the problems with 3G is a lot of what they promised simply isn't there. Like access to the internet, most give you "internet lite" - i.e. very limited access and usually what they decide you want to see.

Ashley
23 Aug 2005 4:20AM
Take up of 3G has been poor and this is one of the ways to combat that. Within the 18 month period 3G phones will literally be falling out of cereal packets in an effort, with free net access, to tempt customers in. Software companies are working on download software right now to be ready for that change.
mattw 17 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2005 5:09AM
I'm not surprised that 3G companies are looking at 'online books' - they are desprate to prove that the much lauded 3G technilogy can be 'usefull' in anyway they can.

But still, I cannot see 'online' books seriously challanging print as the standard way to publish a novel.
A paperback book is simply a better 'user interface' then a 3 inch screen. As this is before you need to start looking into 'battery life' etc.

What 3G needs is a 'killer app'. Untill someone can think one up, people will continue to reguard 3G as technology for technology's sake.

Mattw
u08mcb 17 5.8k
23 Aug 2005 5:19AM
ebook = rubbish.

That is all.
UserRemoved 17 4.2k
23 Aug 2005 5:20AM
I'm surprised the new Harry Potter wasnt released online Wink

(Just said that to annoy keith)

3G is the way forward, old (35) fogies like me who prefer to read things on a piece of old wood pulp are becoming the minority. I always used to print out docs for review rather than onlne and I am a qualified environmental auditor as well!

Texting would never catch on and now I dare say its the main mobile market. I'd rather just ring people myself.

I know a lot of people who are developing software solutions for the 3G market and it will not be technology for technologies sake. You can get small PS-like programs for 3G enabled PDAs to allow you to do basic editing adjustments and caption photos onsite and wire in. Not much take up but I would say in 5-10 years it will probably be the norm.

On my current mobile I can download and write emails (handwriting recognition), excel spreadsheets, calendar, dates, play games, blah blah blah and its 3 years old.

Take the last harry potter for instance - a fairly hefty book - take it and a couple of others on holiday...
How many can you fit phone or download piecemeal when you get there. Add a tv out beaming facility and you can read them on any screen. Also who says they have to be read? Audio?

Its just a matter of time and money. As it gets cheaper it will become commonplace and people will wonder how we ever did without it!
jimbo_t 18 959 England
23 Aug 2005 5:27AM
Its because I cannot take my desktop PC to the bog with me like a mag!!!!
Jim Wink
23 Aug 2005 5:27AM

Quote:A paperback book is simply a better 'user interface' then a 3 inch screen

Ah...but if you'd seen an E-book reader you'd know that they didnt have a 3 inch screen, rather are a foldup PDA with a paperback folio size screen.

Although I believe the Harry Potter series has been banned....or rather it will once I've had a word.
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2005 5:42AM
I sometimes take Ebooks on my PDA its smaller than a book, and fits in your pocket so easier to travel with. Plus I can download new articles to it as it syncs with my PC.

It works well in the bog, but a real book is much better for those no toilet role emergencies.

For once am I ahead of the pack?
23 Aug 2005 6:06AM
For once...yes.

But anybody wanting a 3G phone.......wait.
sabretalon 17 1.9k United Kingdom
23 Aug 2005 6:23AM
I have access to over 5000 books, that cost me nothing, it costs the company though. These are shown via our own online reader and all are licenced.

I have access the the latest books, sometimes before they are in print.

The advantages are, I have a fully searchable library. So rather than flicking through a book I can search them on the computer.

Flexible materials have been tested and are under development, which in the future would lead to you rolling out your screen and using that to read the news or to read a book.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.