Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Magazine Subscription Poll

AlanTW 18 353
23 Aug 2005 11:22AM
Can't read an ebook in the bath!
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
23 Aug 2005 11:36AM
course yer can
AlanTW 18 353
23 Aug 2005 11:42AM
Not without wearing a rubber suit - but I don't think we should go there!
StrayCat 17 19.1k 3 Canada
23 Aug 2005 12:04PM
It's like the film/digital debate, there will always be room for both.
pj.morley 18 947 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2005 12:37PM
I recently bought one of those PDAs and I've read more books since I bought that than I have ever had time to before. The reason is ebooks. I have 3 or 4 books constantly on my PDA which I carry everywhere with me so when I get a few minutes spare I read a chapter or two, I can read in bed with the light off (haven't tried it in the bath yet).

The PDA is portable, more prtable than any book plus it has my diary, basic word processing etc. A basic spreadheet that I can refer to DOF tables quickly and easily and calculate in an instant DOF for any given focal length. Oh an it als has satellite navigation..

It's easy to read on, a but strange at first but you get used to it in a day or two, no more difficult than getting used to a mouse for example. And battery life has never been a problem.. Oh yeah and it fits into my back pocket

Just hope I don't lose it... Wink
pj.morley 18 947 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2005 12:38PM
Oh yeah nearly forgot. It remembers what page I was on too
raziel_uk 17 4.9k
23 Aug 2005 11:36PM
This thread has just reminded me of the story about Americans in space.

They found their pens were no good in space because of the lack of gravity, which meant they couldn't make essential notes.

They spent tens of millions of dollars developing a pen that would work in these conditions, when all they needed to do was take a leaf out of the Russians' book - they used a pencil!

Ashley
23 Aug 2005 11:47PM
Bit of an Urban Myth that one, Ashley. The Americans, like the Russians, used pencils. The problem with pencils is that if the lead breaks it floats off in the zero gravity and becomes a hazard. Paul Fisher designed the first pen to work in that enviroment in 1965...and he sold 400 of them to Nasa at a couple of dollars each. The pen cost roughly a million dollars to invent and is used to this by both USA and Russia.
raziel_uk 17 4.9k
23 Aug 2005 11:51PM
Still, spend all that money on a pen when a pencil will do?

If a pen leaks imagine the damage the escaping ink would cause!

Ashley
23 Aug 2005 11:55PM
Fishers Space pen is a sealed vacuum unit and fire proofed to ridiculous temperatures. Imagine a piece of lead causing a short circuit and couple that with the fact that the pencils and the lead is combustible..and that at the time the Americans had just had the fire on Apollo ?? (cant remember the number off hand) and Fisher came along just in time.
BradUK 16 553 3 England
24 Aug 2005 12:07AM
Not forgetting that the pencil has to be sharpen - causing millions of microscopic conductive carbon particles.

Also more likely to cause a suit puncture - ever left a pencil in your trouser pocket and sat down - ouch!

The ink on the other hand would be too viscous to pose a hazard if it were ever to get free
24 Aug 2005 12:13AM
The fire was on 'Apollo 1' in 1967, although technically it was actually known as 'AS/204' as the fire ocurred during a plugs-out test and not the actual mission, which had not yet been given the 'Apollo 1' designation. Still, the crew (Grissom, White, Chaffee) were to have been the crew of Apollo 1, so NASA does officially refer to it as this now.

Even more obscure 'fact'; if he had not died in the fire, there is every chance that Gus Grissom would have been the first man to walk on the Moon, as Deke Slayton (who selected the crew rotation) was keen for that honour to go to one of the 'Original' Mercury Seven. They were also best mates.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.