Christmas Prize Draw 2017

Major problems with mpb

rhody 16 2.7k 2 United Kingdom
23 Nov 2018 3:36PM
I have used mpb in the past to buy things and have been very pleased.
However, I received a delivery from them yesterday and was horrified to find the camera bouncing around loose inside the box - along with all the other accessories - battery charger, mains plug, leads etc.
The camera was described as being in "Excellent" condition.
When it arrived the LCD on the top plate was smashed, the rear LCD and camera body are scratched and there is a Canon warning on the rear screen about a defect with the shutter.
So far I have sent 4 emails with photos of the problems and left 3 voice messages on their land line.
Not one has been returned. I find that absolutely disgusting.
Whoever sent that package out needs a long talking too.
And mpb - how about answering one of my attempts to contact you please?
The camera is not of merchantable quality - it is not as described and it is your problem as it was badly packed before it left your warehouse.
Are mpb running down or about to go under perhaps?
Something is badly wrong within mpb.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong Plus
10 7.8k 30 England
23 Nov 2018 3:44PM
I'm very surprised to hear this about mpb. I've used them extensively and have found no fault with them at all. Something has gone horribly wrong here and I think we'd all be interested to hear the outcome. Good luck.
23 Nov 2018 3:51PM

Quote:I'm very surprised to hear this about mpb. I've used them extensively and have found no fault with them at all. Something has gone horribly wrong here and I think we'd all be interested to hear the outcome. Good luck.

Thank you SlowSong. I am deeply worried that I am not getting a single response to emails or voice messages.
The land line number just rings out and refers the caller back to the web to send an email. Circuitous logic when there is zero response.
Like you, the service in the past has been good for many years - but then I've never had a complaint with them before but this now involves a lot of money.
I am fearing the worst at the moment, which is why I posted my concerns.
23 Nov 2018 3:56PM
6623_1542988569.jpg

6623_1542988581.jpg

23 Nov 2018 3:57PM
Exactly what I saw when the box was opened. Described on the website as "Excellent" condition. Everything was loose inside the box. No packaging. No protection. Everything just banging around together.

6623_1542988656.jpg

saltireblue Plus
8 8.7k 34 Norway
23 Nov 2018 4:14PM
The extremely poor packaging issue aside, can it be that they have all hands on deck dealing with this ridiculous Black Friday stuff, hence no-on to man the phones?
Sincerely hope you get this sorted to your satisfaction asap!

Malc
23 Nov 2018 4:21PM

Quote:The extremely poor packaging issue aside, can it be that they have all hands on deck dealing with this ridiculous Black Friday stuff, hence no-on to man the phones?
Sincerely hope you get this sorted to your satisfaction asap!

Malc

Those were my thoughts too Malc. It's just the roaring silence about getting my money back that bothers me.
Even if they said - "Sorry, we'll look into and get back to you next week" is better than the "Black Hole of Silence for Customer Complaints" treatment.
tj Plus
15 2.1k England
23 Nov 2018 7:53PM
Id be interested to know how you get on. If you have no joy I have direct contacts at MPB so can try help.
23 Nov 2018 7:58PM

Quote:Id be interested to know how you get on. If you have no joy I have direct contacts at MPB so can try help.

Thank you very much TJ - I really appreciate that because I am seriously worried at not having any response at all from them.
I really hope I am wrong and worrying over nothing but the prolonged silence is troubling me.
I will post an update when I have something new to say and thank you once again.
tj Plus
15 2.1k England
23 Nov 2018 8:01PM
No problem, keep me updated.
As Malc said I suspect it could be because of Black Friday. Still, not good customer service to not even send a holding reply.
23 Nov 2018 8:34PM

Quote:I'm very surprised to hear this about mpb. I've used them extensively and have found no fault with them at all. Something has gone horribly wrong here and I think we'd all be interested to hear the outcome. Good luck.

Id agree, also dealt before with excellent treatment..something has gone severely wrong..if your stuff arrived floating around in a box...! Im sure itll get sorted, they will value their reputation...
cuffit Plus
12 332 5 England
23 Nov 2018 10:21PM
I was sorry to read about your experience with mpb. I have sold 2 cameras and 4 or 5 lenses to them and the estimates arrived within hours, I accepted, boxed the kit (on 2 separate purchases) and they were collected by a courier paid for by them. All calls were answered pretty much immediately or, or a message left with them and it was answered within an hour. Looking at the camera you have received, it just seems so contrary to my experience and, it appears, those of many above. The camera looks so bad that one wonders if someone has cloned their site? I do hope you manage to sort it out.
24 Nov 2018 5:08AM
Many thanks KevinEllison and cuffit.
This is my first bad experience with them over many years and I have never in the past not been able to contact them on the same day.
I don't know what is going on within the company but something has changed internally for them to ignore 3 telephone messages and 6 emails.
I suppose it's Trading Standards and / or a solicitors letter on Monday morning if I still have not heard anything.
The roaring silence and deaf ears approach from them makes me fear the worst about getting my money back.
LenShepherd 10 3.8k United Kingdom
24 Nov 2018 8:45AM
The first thing to do is to return the item for a refund - obviously tracked delivery - see https://intercom.help/mpbcom/after-sales/returning-a-faulty-item-within-14-days

I would pack the camera carefully in a second box to avoid further damage with a CD of images as delivered, and include the first box empty.

Whether your experience highlights a lack of staff to deal with a fully justified complaint (as distinct from a return after changing your mind) is speculative.

Once sorted I think MPB should volunteer modest compensation.
24 Nov 2018 8:52AM
Very many thanks LenShepherd - much appreciated. I really wanted this camera and was looking forward to receiving and using it as it only had 8,000 or so shutter actuations.
So when I opened the box and saw what had happened to it in transit, I was very shocked. It must have had many knocks to damage the sensor cleaning system and crack the LCD display on the top plate. I'm guessing it is now beyond economic repair anyway.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.