Man... was that my Mojo leaving the building???

robs 16 685 2 United Kingdom
8 Apr 2012 11:46PM
It's been a long while since I was really around ePZ. So much has happened over the last few years it is ridiculous.

Worryingly one of those things that seems to have departed is my Mojo. I was looking through some photographs today and it hit me... I haven't taken a single decent landscape since my son was born 11 months ago. This started to make me question my pre-order for the D800e for a while, then I pushed that thought to the back of my mind in the hope that perhaps... just perhaps... the new camera will reignite said Mojo.

Is it common to go through such a prolonged dry spell? Don't get me wrong, I have taken some really quite nice portrait shots in the intervening months. But landscape has always been my passion!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nick_w Plus
12 4.3k 99 England
8 Apr 2012 11:48PM
Yes it happens to us all. Sounds like you've had a lot on your hands recently - just get out there, when the lights right it will come flooding back ...honest.
8 Apr 2012 11:56PM
Thing is - I am out there a lot, camera bag is almost always in the car with me and I live and work in the Lake District.

But yes, it should come back soon!

I hope!
Nick_w Plus
12 4.3k 99 England
9 Apr 2012 12:00AM
Soon as the new camera arrives, just set yourself a date and location and go for it.
janeez 11 1.8k 8 United Kingdom
9 Apr 2012 12:22AM
I think it's easy to get so used to the place you live it is difficult to see things differently. Maybe a change of scenery might help. With the onset of spring a trip out with the family to somewhere new might be all the inspiration you need. Grin
ade_mcfade 15 15.2k 216 England
9 Apr 2012 12:24AM
I struggle with landscape too - drove through Airedale, malham, gordale, the tarn, over to Halton Gill and wharfdale last sunday and just didn't really get that feeling that I wanted to stop...

just vary it, shooting people candidly in towns is a fun variation and challenge... you get some right characters in the lakes, think of all those beardy types Wink
User_Removed 9 4.6k 1 Scotland
9 Apr 2012 10:09AM

Quote:I struggle with landscape too - drove through Airedale, malham, gordale, the tarn, over to Halton Gill and wharfdale last sunday and just didn't really get that feeling that I wanted to stop...

I find that can be a huge part of the problem - driving.

But as soon as I park the car and start walking, then all sorts of photo opportunities hit me. And, having swapped the D3s for a D800, the lighter weight and lesser bulk makes walking a more attractive proposition.
9 Apr 2012 11:29AM
LeftForum - you also live in a stunning area (I was in Stirling for 5 years and Doune for a little over another one), but I entirely agree about getting out the car and going for a walk. The trick is finding the time to do so when there is also some decent light! It seems to have been rubbish for an age around here and I am started to wonder if this perpetual autumnal weather has been partially to blame.
DOGSBODY 10 1.4k 30 England
9 Apr 2012 7:06PM
Yes, we all go through dry spells and landscape photography is one of those subjects where you need new locations and different types of scenery to keep the creative juices flowing. I live in East Anglia and get very tired of seeing the same piers and windmills which are the staple diet of local landscape photographers. I love the Lake District and it is always a place that I see lots of different images from what I can expect at home but I can understand that if you live there its appeal can eventually diminish. Andy
User_Removed 9 4.6k 1 Scotland
9 Apr 2012 7:34PM

Quote:Yes, we all go through dry spells and landscape photography is one of those subjects where you need new locations and different types of scenery to keep the creative juices flowing.

However, landscape photography does have the advantage that the scenery changes continuously with the seasons. (Sometimes all four in one day!!)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.