Amazon Prime Day 2022 Coming Soon!

Manchester

ginz04 18 281 20 United Kingdom
4 Sep 2011 4:46PM
I've just brought a Nikon d7000 and Im looking at doing a project about Manchester and i'm looking for ideas - What do you see when people talk about Manchester is it the sport - Man Utd/Man City or the Cricket Ground or do you think of the fantastic Architecture that we have or do you think of the other side the Graffiti etc. I'm looking at doing a photo book that describes Manchester. I would like some ideas about to photograph - I've got the following so far - Old Trafford, Arndale, The Big Wheel, Cathedral, Town Hall, Spinning-fields , The toaster Rack and the University, The Lexicon, Graffiti City and Ordsall and China Town.
User_Removed 12 4.6k 1 Scotland
4 Sep 2011 4:51PM
Seriously, when I think of Manchester I think of heavy rain and warm people.
JJGEE 17 8.0k 18 England
4 Sep 2011 4:54PM
Coronation Street

I believe you can go and visit the TV studios where the programme is made.
ade_mcfade 18 15.2k 216 England
4 Sep 2011 4:59PM
I think of 4 great years being a student there whilst Madchester was booming all around me Smile

It more a music/culture thing that springs to my mind when you say Manchester - the buzz of the place, the people, the sheer amount of stuff going on there.. loads more than Leeds (where I ended up) and I'm tempted to move back there on day...
4 Sep 2011 5:11PM
Of course Ordsall is not Manchester but Salford (different city Smile) but if you want to include Salford as well, then of course the Salford Quays area and all it has to offer HAS to be included. Interestingly, Coronation Street set will be "moved" to Salford Quays very shortly (I can see it being built from my balcony) so in fact Coronation Street will no longer be in Manchester but in Salford Grin.
4 Sep 2011 5:42PM
thanks guys - Music is very important for Manchester what areas would you suggest to photograph with music and people in mind. Ive just missed Manchester Pride but are there any other events coming up which would be good.
4 Sep 2011 6:16PM
the hacienda's gone... but round the corner the Boardwalk building is still there, that's where Oasis rehearsed

there's a boys club in Salford which featured on a Smiths album cover.

Lots of gig venues, like the Apollo, Academy, GMEX, Free Trade Hall (which is a hotel - but the Sex Pistols did an infamous gig there)
4 Sep 2011 6:18PM
You could try Castlefield (particularly the canal basin) and Trafford park (part of Manchester's industrial heritage).
4 Sep 2011 6:23PM
THANKS GUYS I WILL LOOK ALL THESE UP.

IAN
4 Sep 2011 6:31PM
If you had to pick one building that is the iconic building of Manchester which would it be.
4 Sep 2011 6:44PM
iconic... the town hall
beetham tower is heading that way
mikesavage 20 299 2 England
4 Sep 2011 11:49PM
As Marc_Chadwick says above: try Castlefield. It's supposed to be the oldest part of Manchester; I believe the name arose from 'Castle in a field'.
5 Sep 2011 6:10PM
thanks ade and mike i will google them
6 Sep 2011 6:02PM
I would also look at the library, just behind the town hall or the John Rylands library on Deansgate.
6 Sep 2011 6:07PM
The library is closed for refurbishment at the moment and is covered by scaffolding and high fences Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.