WEX Deals: Sony Summer Cashback - Claim Up To 300

Manfrotto 055XB tripod & 804RC2 Head Combo

urdygurdy 11 136 3 United Kingdom
21 Dec 2008 12:53PM
I am in desperate need of a new tripod, and have been looking at the above combinations. Aspen of hereford on ebay are selling it with a free carry strap for 116.45 link

I have seen and played with it in Jacobs shop, but i am still unsure, IMO it feels very sturdy & stable and 100% better than what i am using even if it is a lot heavier.

I use a canon 40D & battery grip and my biggest lens at moment is a 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. I also plan to buy the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM in the new year.

I like to take landscapes and also after dark shots and my current cheapo tripod is so unstable it untrue, with a slightes bit of wind and night shots are impossible : - (

So what i need advice on Is this a good choice of tripod setup? Please explain your decision & opinions

cheers in advance,

Daz

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Miles Herbert 17 1.9k 4 United Kingdom
21 Dec 2008 2:05PM
I use an old battered Manfrotto 55b Pro that has been round the block (and the world), gets used in salt water on a regular basis, lives in the boot of the car and has never ever been serviced except for tightening the odd nut on the legs ... and it's still 100%. Very sturdy and stable, very robust but the price of all that is the weight, which is fine for me, and as far as I'm concerned, helps with keeping things motionless in the wind. Have happily used a 40D, battery pack and a 100 - 400 on it no problem.

I opted for a big ball head, much faster to use and less fiddly then the 3 way head. I have a 3 way head which sits in a cupboard somewhere entertaining the spiders, I much prefer the ball head for speed and ease of use.

Hope that helps...
Wooly 14 112 4 England
21 Dec 2008 3:10PM
I have the 55PROB and 804RC2 combo, is that the same? I find it excellent. I prefer to use this head, to the ball heads, especially when creating panos, you can lock the other two movements.

HTH Alan
sidaorb 14 3.9k 2 England
21 Dec 2008 3:10PM
My old 055 has similar been battered and dropped and knocked over once Sad and still goes on and on. Would think about the head though, not sure if you may be better off with a 322RC
tomcat 14 6.4k 15 United Kingdom
21 Dec 2008 3:16PM
I use the afore mentioned head with the Manfrotto 055CL Tripod which I guess is the predecessor of the tripod you mention.
Though my main subject matter is wildlife I have used it for other formats as well.
I know lots of folk who use the 322RC but I had one and sold it.
It was never my cup of tea
As for the tripod I have had it for a few years.Never had a wash or owt and it does go out and get used in all sorts of conditions

Adrian
dragarth 16 247 1 Scotland
21 Dec 2008 5:30PM
I personally use the 055 prob with the 808rc4 head and find it does everything I could ask of it and more probably!
excellent peice of kit.

sean
samfurlong 14 2.5k United Kingdom
21 Dec 2008 6:42PM
I have the same legs with a 488RC2 ball head and have used it recently in very windy conditions with my MKIII and 500mm f4L IS lens and it was fine so I think the 40D and 100-400 will be fine.
cameracat 16 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
21 Dec 2008 6:44PM
055 Pro B......What ever head.......Superb tripod for all occasions, Sturdy & stong enough for medium format.....So more than enough for your needs, Head choice is a personal thing & dependant on what it is used for most of the time.......!

Edit: As a by the way, Recently I was shooting in high winds, Apart from the camera & lens mounted, I hung 3 house bricks under the centre colum, The legs showed no sign of bending........And there was zero movement in the frames taken............Smile
f8 16 9.2k 22 England
21 Dec 2008 7:59PM

Quote:055 Pro B......What ever head.......Superb tripod for all occasions, Sturdy & stong enough for medium format.....So more than enough for your needs, Head choice is a personal thing & dependant on what it is used for most of the time.......!

Edit: As a by the way, Recently I was shooting in high winds, Apart from the camera & lens mounted, I hung 3 house bricks under the centre colum, The legs showed no sign of bending........And there was zero movement in the frames taken............

Well surely
no one carries a supply of bricks around in their bag Do they? unless you know different.
MattGrayson 13 622 3 England
21 Dec 2008 8:01PM
Depends on what you're doing. The 055, definitely but the grips on the head aren't very free moving so if you like to pan, forget it.
21 Dec 2008 8:06PM
cheers for your replies folks, I currently have a MANFROTTO MN785B MODO and it nice and lightweight and portable and attaches to my slingshot fine. It handled my old oly e500 no problems, and it can just about manage the 40D with 17 - 85 len, but even then the kit is just to heavy for it and the ball head wont grip tight enough, so it time for an upgrade i think.

I like the idea of the 804RC2 Head as it can probably be set more precise and move just in one direction if need be.

Daz
ziggy 18 202 England
21 Dec 2008 9:23PM
Its sturdy and heavy. great for use not too far from the car,home etc. But if your out for a day's walk, look for something lighter, either carbon fibre or smaller eg 190
Kris_Dutson 17 8.2k 1 England
21 Dec 2008 9:25PM
Love by battered 055 to bits.

Prefer my 322RC2 head 'tho as it's very quick and easy to position, especially with gloves on. Smile
Warriorpoet 11 213 3 United Kingdom
21 Dec 2008 9:47PM
I saw that too and saw the same combo on fotosense. Never bought from them (just googled that combo) but the website has a phone number so might to worth giving them a ring. I am thinking of the same combo but with the pro 055xb

Dave
21 Dec 2008 9:50PM

Quote:I saw that too and saw the same combo on fotosense. Never bought from them (just googled that combo) but the website has a phone number so might to worth giving them a ring. I am thinking of the same combo but with the pro 055xb

Dave

I have had dealing's with fotosense and aspen of hereford and they have always been ok for me with good service.

Daz

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.