Mare Indoor advice needed

8 Jul 2008 10:53PM
Been trying to get some shots of my daughter at some indoor gymnastic competitions and the results have been very poor.

I use an EOS 350D with a 70-200mm lens, flash is not allowed and the lighting is as you would find in most indoor gym halls. I need a fast shutter to freeze the action and a long focal length. I have tried many different setting all with poor results. Not sure whether its user ability or equipment limitations.

Any advice will be most welcome

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

geoffash26 15 2.5k United Kingdom
8 Jul 2008 10:59PM
The only way to get good results in bad light conditions is to have fast glass and or up the ISO to achieve the shutter speed required
HTH
Geoff
Simon_P 13 487 4 United Kingdom
8 Jul 2008 11:13PM
70-200mm f4 or f2.8?
Should be achievable with the f2.8 and highish ISO, the f4 version slightly more difficult, but possibly achievable with high iso

The down side is more noise at high ISO, still better than blurry lower ISO images though.

Maybe your technique could be improved? Maybe possible as a panning shot if there is a lot of lateral movement.
stevemc 13 49 England
9 Jul 2008 12:09PM
For the shots you say are poor, what was the shutter speed?

Best you can do is use the 70-200 wide open at ISO 1600 (or 3200) and use noise reduction when you process
Camairish 14 1.4k Scotland
10 Jul 2008 9:14PM
I took some of my daughter at a gymnastics tournament a few months ago. I had an old 75-300 lens at the long end (standard lens - not a fast one) and had the ISO just about at the highest level.
It was hit and miss whether she was still or not- I took heaps and ended up with just a couple of decent ones!
A fast lens would be the answer really - can you hire/borrow one to give it a try?
Ian.
11 Jul 2008 7:38PM
Thanks for alll the replies so far, the lens i used is the f4 version. I have looked through all my shots metadata and i have tried all ranges of ISO setting. Me thinks a faster lens is the answer, like the idea of trying to hire one.

Thanks again everyone.
snapbandit 15 2.3k 3 Northern Ireland
11 Jul 2008 8:04PM
A faster lens will only give approx 1 stop/shutter speed increase. (if we are talking about going to f2.8 from f4)
Practice & technique will make more of a difference IMO, if you know where they will be , pre focus, if the light is poor use a high ISO & shutter speed (better a sharp, slightly noisy shot than a blurry unuseable one), learn to time your shot rather than relying on the sequence (it's surprising how far things can move in 1/5 of a sec! )

Just my 2p

Apologies to Simon P, I didnt read your post before submitting mine
croberts 15 2.2k 8 Ireland
11 Jul 2008 9:22PM
the difference in f4 to f2.8 can be huge, in low light.

the difference between 1/30 or 1/60, or 1/125 or 1/250 can be important when it comes to not only hand holding steadily, but stopping movement.

When your ISO is bumped as high as it will go, you've nowhere else to go exept faster lenses, or your flashgun...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.