Get 5% off Loupedeck CT with code: Ephotozine5

Mark 2 ouch!!

glengary 14 19
21 Jul 2011 3:38PM
Hi everyone,here's a salutary warning.
I recently bought a new laptop and needed a CF reader so I popped into Tesco and got a Logitech.The card always seemed stiff to insert. A few days later My lovely camera stopped working.I took it to LCE Lincoln ,who sent it away.Well 2months later I am still waiting for a repair.LCE have told me that the Card reader connections are damaged and that the processor is burnt out .Cost to repair? 650.00.
Take note.Always buy from a reputable photographic source.
Gary.
Carabosse 17 41.5k 270 England
21 Jul 2011 3:39PM
I hope you've taken this up with Tesco.
Coleslaw 15 13.4k 28 Wales
21 Jul 2011 3:41PM
What has that got to do with Tesco?
21 Jul 2011 3:44PM
Tesco (it seems) sold him a duff card reader which damaged the card which in turn damaged his camera. That is presumably the chain of events.
Carrera_c 11 273 3 United Kingdom
21 Jul 2011 3:49PM
Doesn't sound like Tesco's fault to me, possibly logitechs as it's there card reader, unless Tesco bought logitech recently without telling anyone....

I'm assuming some pins from the card reader broke off and stuck in the card, then you put the card in your camera without noticing the pins stuck in it? Which sounds like back luck to me. Could possibly try chasing them up for the cost but I doubt you'll get anywhere, perhaps a replacement card and card reader, but don't see them accepting responsibility for the camera as the peripheral doesn't directly connect with it.
21 Jul 2011 3:50PM
If the card reader is too tight, then it is the issue of Logitech's product?
21 Jul 2011 3:51PM
Tesco sold it. They have primary responsibility. In turn they can take it up with Logitech if they wish.
Big Bri 19 16.6k United Kingdom
21 Jul 2011 3:52PM
The pins for a CF card are on the reader - don't see how the pins of the new reader could damage the card in such a way as to then damage the pins in the camera.....
21 Jul 2011 3:53PM
It could have been a faulty card of course!
21 Jul 2011 3:56PM
Perhaps Gary will tell us what make of card he got and where he got it from. Smile

Is it possible the pins on the card reader could damage a card so that its contacts cause processor burn out?
21 Jul 2011 3:57PM

Quote:The pins for a CF card are on the reader - don't see how the pins of the new reader could damage the card in such a way as to then damage the pins in the camera.....

I agree.

Quote:Tesco sold it. They have primary responsibility. In turn they can take it up with Logitech if they wish.

They will give you a replacement card reader if you want it....LOL

Anyway, when I said what it has got to do with tesco, it is for this comment:

Quote:Take note.Always buy from a reputable photographic source.
darranl 11 318 England
21 Jul 2011 4:01PM
So how was the card read before buying the CF reader? Did your old laptop / PC have a reader or did you plug the camera in directly?
21 Jul 2011 4:01PM
I guess Gary is saying Tesco is not the first outlet to spring to mind when buying photographic equipment! Wink

It all seems a bit weird. If I were Gary I would ask for a full report from the repairers. That could be used as evidence in any claim - against whoever.
21 Jul 2011 4:10PM

Quote:I guess Gary is saying Tesco is not the first outlet to spring to mind when buying photographic equipment!

But if it is the same logitech card reader, then it doesn't really matter whether he buys it from tesco or jessops, does it?
21 Jul 2011 4:28PM

Quote:But if it is the same logitech card reader, then it doesn't really matter whether he buys it from tesco or jessops, does it?

Obviously Gary thinks it does! Wink

Will be interesting to hear Gary's comments on all our observations. He will need to establish a link between the card reader (or card) and his damaged camera for any claim to succeed.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.