Massodax FM-1 Flash Meter HELP!

briggal1 12 8 United Kingdom
12 Aug 2010 2:45PM
Hi, I was recently given a Massodax FM-1 Flash Meter, see below, but with no instructions so I would appreciate any information anyone can give. On the front is displayed ISO numbers and F numbers but there’s nothing about shutter speed so I am presuming that the meter only works with one shutter speed which I presume would be in the instructions. Can anyone tell me if I'm right and if so does anyone know what the shutter speed is? I've searched on the Internet but found nothing. The meter does seem to work because when it detects the flash one or more of the red lights down the left hand side light up which I presume indicates the correct aperture to set. Thanks

massodax2.jpg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat 16 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
12 Aug 2010 5:15PM
Seeing as this looks a tad on the old side, It might be safe to assume that the shutter speed is around 1/60s ......Smile

Thats only a guess mind you......Grin

Whatever, Working between 1/60 and 1/125s with a studio light or speedlight only makes a small change in the exposure, Its the aperture that ill make a more significant change.

So check it out at 1/60s to start with, But change the output from your lighting to give you an aperture reading on the meter of f/5.6 or f/8.....!

Then check the results......Smile

Can't say I have ever seen or heard of the brand, Though its interesting that its made in England .......Grin Not something you come across today....Sad

Wink
spaceman 15 5.3k 3 Wales
12 Aug 2010 5:21PM
I had a similar meter many years ago. It doesn't give any indication of shutter speed because, as Vince says, shutter speed rarely has any effect on the exposure when using flash indoors.
12 Aug 2010 7:18PM
Thanks cameracat & spaceman for you suggestions I will give it a go and see what happens.
iansheard 8 1 United Kingdom
26 Nov 2011 3:22PM
Hi

I have a mint and boxed massodax fm-1 flash meter, with instructions, if you send me your e-mail address I will send you a PDF copy for you.

Regards

Ian
ian@sheard.eu
26 Nov 2011 8:33PM
Thanks sheardimage but I no longer have the meter, bought a Sekonic instead.
bobby55 10 46 United Kingdom
16 Jan 2020 12:42PM
Although this thread is 10 years old, I've just obtained one of these Massodax FM-1 flash meters along with an Hannimex Light Meter PM-45.( being an antique myself, I just love using older gear from charity shops). I would love a copy of a manual, although by experimentation I have my own theory of how they work. If anyone has one, a scan would be appreciated.
My experimentation has give the following results.
Massodax.FM-1..Place the flash meter near the subject and test flash. there are eight lights and seven stops, so if for example the fifth one lights up, at ISO 100 you have a choice of f8 or f5.6
120243_1579178420.jpg

Hannimex.PR-45....Align the yellow dot (1) with the ISO and set the number indicated by the needle (2) to the red dot top 3. Shutter speed and aperture are indicate at the bottom of the dial (✔Wink 125 at f2.8
120243_1579178469.jpg

These are working well and my camera metering tend to agree.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.