Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Member of The Week - KathyW - week 6 - Jan 14th - 21st

Boyd 17 11.2k 11 Wales
14 Jan 2011 11:07PM

Quote:I love them both equally, but in a different way
Thank goodness for that. For a minute there I thought you were going to start describing your video exploits in Kathy Does Collies.

Erm, a question...do you prefer it early in the morning or last thing at night?
ade_mcfade 17 15.2k 216 England
14 Jan 2011 11:11PM
....I was just going to ask about skies, that's the constant theme through your work, big, bold skies.

So if you've got a flat sky, what do you shoot? Wink
KathyW 17 1.8k 12 Norfolk Island
14 Jan 2011 11:29PM
Boyd - alas I have yet to exploit the video capability of my camera...

I'll go for mornings or evenings - It really doesn't matter... if I get up early the sunrise will be pants, and if I walk or drive miles to catch a sunset it'll be a non-event... I'm doomed... the most remarkable thing about me is the black cloud hovering above my head. Here the light is often best in the mornings... pity I rarely see it because I'm asleep. (I presume you were talking about photography)
14 Jan 2011 11:38PM

Quote:....I was just going to ask about skies, that's the constant theme through your work, big, bold skies.

So if you've got a flat sky, what do you shoot? Wink

Er... shoot it anyway and stick another sky on? Oh... wrong answer Wink

I often just wait for another day and hope for better light. 90% of my pics are taken within walking distance of home, so for most of the landscapes there is always another day. If I've travelled a distance I will get what shots I can, looking for interesting details and compositions in the land itself that don't involve much sky. If I'm out for the day I'll usually take a couple of lenses and maybe try some macros, try and find some alternative views of things. I'll be looking for textures and patterns in nature and man-made objects. If I'm trying to get some agricultural pics then I'll get closer to the machines and try some wide-angle shots or some from the cab and focus on that instead of the backdrop. If it doesn't brighten up a bit over the weekend I may be having a go at trying to make mud look interesting.
Boyd 17 11.2k 11 Wales
14 Jan 2011 11:41PM
If it makes you feel any better getting up early in the morning gets easier as you get older - Keith told me. Sometimes he barely makes it to the toilet in time.

Quote:I presume you were talking about photography
Light, like good sex, can be hit or miss, unexpectedly good, disappointingly adequate or sometimes just plain old okay and satisfying - the only thing it's usually best to try to be there when it's happening.
14 Jan 2011 11:57PM

Quote:f it makes you feel any better getting up early in the morning gets easier as you get older - Keith told me. Sometimes he barely makes it to the toilet in time

It is reassuring to think that there are some benefits to ageing, but as I'll probably have been up at least twice in the night, the early moring lavvy dash usually isn't an issue... you wouldn't understand - it's a girl thing.

Quote:Light, like good sex, can be hit or miss, unexpectedly good, disappointingly adequate or sometimes just plain old okay and satisfying - the only thing it's usually best to try to be there when it's happening

I've found it is indeed best to be there when it's happening, not too keen on the whole "out of body experience" thing.
JohnParminter 14 1.3k 14 England
15 Jan 2011 10:22AM
Hello Kathy, excuse my ignorance or your career or your profession but are you connected with farming or agriculture in any way? I am most impressed with your farming shots that really seem to encapsulate big open vistas of Norfolk rural life.

JP
PP 19 222 England
15 Jan 2011 10:40AM
Your landscape photos often contain quite strong colours (which I particularly like). Do you like to produce images that are relatively accurate (colourwise) to what you saw at the time of image capture, or do you 'enhance' the final image so it looks how you want it to?
brian1208 18 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
15 Jan 2011 10:54AM
If you could only shoot one more image - what would it be and why?
15 Jan 2011 11:15AM

Quote:Hello Kathy, excuse my ignorance or your career or your profession but are you connected with farming or agriculture in any way? I am most impressed with your farming shots that really seem to encapsulate big open vistas of Norfolk rural life.

JP

Arrr John, I was born clutching a set of Massey Ferguson keys and have lived on a farm all my life. I think working on the farm all those years has given me a good insight into the local landscape, weather patterns etc. When trundling up and down fields ploughing or whatever there is little to do except keep straight and level and admire the scenery Smile I am very fond of cows and other livestock, and I think it helps a great deal if you know your subject well.
15 Jan 2011 11:25AM

Quote:Your landscape photos often contain quite strong colours (which I particularly like). Do you like to produce images that are relatively accurate (colourwise) to what you saw at the time of image capture, or do you 'enhance' the final image so it looks how you want it to?

I'm a bit lazy when it comes to processing so I prefer not to have to do too much to an image. I'll use filters to try and get the effect I want in camera, then do adjustments in RAW conversion and PS.

However the image that I see on the screen is often not quite what I wanted when I looked at the scene and saw the potential, so I will make adjustments to make the image fit my vision of it... I try and take the good bits and make them better... I prefer not to do much cloning and make changes to the basic composition of the shot, mainly because I'm not good at cloning, and if it's there, it's part of the picture, so it stays Wink
15 Jan 2011 11:29AM

Quote:If you could only shoot one more image - what would it be and why?

Hmmm, that's a hard one Brian...

I think it would have to be one of Vince with the dogs, cats and ponies, stood at the top of the hill overlooking the valley where I live. This would be the most difficult shot too because the chances of getting them all together in the right place at the right time in the right light would be minimal! But you can never have enough photos of the ones you love Smile
JohnParminter 14 1.3k 14 England
15 Jan 2011 12:03PM

Quote:Arrr John, I was born clutching a set of Massey Ferguson keys

Would that be a la'l Grey Fergie set of keys or perhaps a 135?

Its OK you don't have to show your age........

My first drive was a Fordson Major, big (for me), blue brute of a thing.

Although I have to say I'm not a farmer but grew up and still live surrounded by a farming community.

((Smile))
15 Jan 2011 1:22PM
We had a Fordson Major too, it was the rag top model (weren't they all in those days!) My Dad's favourite tractor was a '63 Fordson SupaDexta though - brilliant little tractor & still running today ... just! Smile
Grampy 11 507 71 England
15 Jan 2011 2:21PM
Hi Kathy ,as I don't know you only your work are you a working photographer or is it a hobby to you. If you are working what was your first job and if not how did you start with serious photography.Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.