Regatta Summer Sale: Up To 60% Off Outdoor Clothing

Member of The Week - KathyW - week 6 - Jan 14th - 21st

KathyW 17 1.8k 12 Norfolk Island
15 Jan 2011 3:22PM
Hi Grampy, I have been paid to take photos so I guess you could say I'm a working photographer on a part-time basis - one of those people all the real pros hate Wink

Struggling to remember, but I think my first job was photographing windows and conservatories (outside on a very dismal drizzly day) The last job was product shots of contractors tools - I never would have believed there were so many different types of shovels... Very glamorous being a photographer!

Alas, nobody has ever asked me to photograph a landscape Sad
brian1208 18 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
15 Jan 2011 7:51PM
Do you still get the same excitement when you open a new image and realise its a "goody" (or have you got the the level where you expect them all to be good now Wink ) ?
15 Jan 2011 9:03PM
More surprise than excitement Brian. I have now got to the level where I expect one shot out of every hundred to be slightly less awful than the rest... Wink

I have recently started deleting a lot of also-ran images immediately I've downloaded them for a few reasons -
1. there's only so many external hard drives I can fit on the windowsill.
2. if it's a cr@p shot now it isn't going to be any better tomorrow...
3. I just don't have the time it will take to spend hours mangling it into something I'm not totally ashamed to put my name to.

I will probably regret this, but there's always a better shot to be taken anyway Smile
Scutter Plus
13 1.7k 6 United Kingdom
15 Jan 2011 9:09PM
How much do you think your agricultural roots help with your photography? Is it a fundamental connection or just a convenient coincidence?
15 Jan 2011 9:12PM

Quote:there's only so many external hard drives I can fit on the windowsill.

What back-up process do you use, just to secondary hard drive or do you have some other device as well?

Quote:2. if it's a cr@p shot now it isn't going to be any better tomorrow...

I delete the obviously wrongly framed / OOF shots in camera but the others I always leave overnight and look at again the next morning since I nearly threw out my most successful selling image as I didn't like on first viewing (My "Dreaming of Swan" shot from some years ago)
15 Jan 2011 10:45PM

Quote:How much do you think your agricultural roots help with your photography? Is it a fundamental connection or just a convenient coincidence?

I think it's helped a lot with the landscape photography. I guess on the whole, people involved in farming have a good understanding of the land, weather, etc, and while they may not always appreciate the beauty of it, they tend to notice a lot of things that other people miss. Farmers tend not to be impressed by black thunder clouds hovering over their ripe fields, but they take most things in their stride. As you probably know, farming is prone to many disasters beyond your control and it's easy to see your income dwindling before your eyes... this sets you up quite nicely for a career in photography Wink to be in farming and not go mad you need to get up every time you're knocked down, and keep getting up.

Living on a farm is an asset when you are contemplating wildlife and nature photography. As I'm permanently covered in mud (and worse) getting down on the ground to get another angle is not a problem. However, as I get older getting up again is a problem. Tongue
15 Jan 2011 10:56PM

Quote:there's only so many external hard drives I can fit on the windowsill.

What back-up process do you use, just to secondary hard drive or do you have some other device as well?

2. if it's a cr@p shot now it isn't going to be any better tomorrow...

I delete the obviously wrongly framed / OOF shots in camera but the others I always leave overnight and look at again the next morning since I nearly threw out my most successful selling image as I didn't like on first viewing (My "Dreaming of Swan" shot from some years ago)

I usually back up to an external drive, important stuff is backed up to another internal drive on the PC as well, and I'll keep the files on the memory card until I've done that. If I'm making a disc for someone I will keep a copy of it and save the iso file too. The PC I use for photos isn't online or physically connected to any other machines and the mains goes through a surge board because our electricity supply can be somewhat cranky!

My bad shots are really bad... Tongue Problem is I tend to take more than I need to - I'll try different exposures, subtly different compositions even though I know there was no need and that my first instincts were right. I suppose it's because with digital you can take so many frames of the same thing, it's like it's almost compulsory. So I tend to end up with a lot of shots which are perfectly okay, just surplus to requirements.
JohnParminter 14 1.3k 14 England
15 Jan 2011 11:31PM
Kathy, Norfolk is famous for it's flat nature, I know as I worked at Bacton for a few months - nearly drove me potty not seeing a hill for miles......

Anyway, do you ever venture further afield to seek landscapes with relief or are you quite content photographing your surroundings? Or are there any hills in Norfolk I'm not aware of.... ((Smile)).

John
16 Jan 2011 12:19AM
John, you mean you were at Bacton for several months and you never saw Beeston Bump? *sighs and shakes head* It's 63 metres high, how could you miss it??? Grin

I've spent many a happy hour cycling around Norfolk and I can assure you it's not as flat as it looks... well, South Norfolk isn't anyway!

I would love to travel to bumpier areas, but circumstance dictates that at the moment I have to be content with day trips Sad But I do love East Anglia, and there are still many places I wish to visit (or revisit and get some better shots)
lobsterboy Plus
17 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
16 Jan 2011 10:19AM

Quote:But I do love East Anglia, and there are still many places I wish to visit (or revisit and get some better shots)

What are you favourite locations down here & what new ones do you want to visit?
16 Jan 2011 11:01AM
If you didn't live in East Anglia, where would you like to be?
16 Jan 2011 2:36PM

Quote:But I do love East Anglia, and there are still many places I wish to visit (or revisit and get some better shots)

What are you favourite locations down here & what new ones do you want to visit?

Favourite locations in East Anglia are Happisburgh, Cromer, Morston, Brancaster on the Norfolk coast, but there are still places along there that I have yet to get any good shots from - Hunstanton and Blakeney to name just two. On the Suffolk coast - Southwold, Benacre and Dunwich heath are often visited.

I'd like to head down your way to examine the mud of Essex and Suffolk in detail, and there are many windmills dotted around the Broads that I haven't visited. Within a few miles of home there is a row of four oak trees that I have my eye on - just waiting for the right sky Wink So many good photos yet to be taken... even if I just go out for a walk I keep a lookout for another angle on a familiar scene. The landscape here is constantly changing because apart from the grassland, fields rarely have the same crop year after year.
16 Jan 2011 2:49PM

Quote:If you didn't live in East Anglia, where would you like to be?

Preferably nowhere within 50 miles of a motorway or a major city... and not surrounded by mountains Wink I've heard Dorset is rather nice!

Anywhere in the world? Somewhere wild... maybe Canada or the USA... Montana would seem to be my sort of place Smile
lobsterboy Plus
17 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
16 Jan 2011 2:52PM

Quote:I'd like to head down your way to examine the mud of Essex

Let me know if you need a mud guide Wink
16 Jan 2011 5:07PM
Will do Chris, as long as you promise not to laugh when I fall over or get stuck in the slime (and I will...) Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.