Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Memories of 911

Chris_L 3 4.0k United Kingdom
10 Sep 2017 10:06PM
We were in Newcastle in a guitar shop, upstairs. Staff told us to come and see what was happening. In a back room there was a small TV showing pictures of the attacks on TV news..

I've never been in a shop or other business where something so big happens that staff can't keep it to themselves, telling strangers to "come see this" before or since then.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong Plus
9 7.0k 30 England
10 Sep 2017 10:33PM
I was working in an estate agents when someone came into the shop and said that the Towers had been blown up. Couldn't believe it at first but rang my husband who confirmed the news. I always felt that George Bush would be trouble, and right or wrong, I still think it.
arhb Plus
10 3.3k 68 United Kingdom
10 Sep 2017 10:57PM
I was doing a snowboard instructors course in south island of NZ, and woke up to the news.
Until that morning, I had never put the TV on first thing in the morning, but I felt compelled to that morning, so quite spooky when we saw that going on.

We flew home via LAX about 3 weeks later, and that was a complete paranoid(US security) nightmare.
KevinandSeri 3 267 United Kingdom
10 Sep 2017 11:52PM
We were driving from Wales to Edinburgh. As we stopped at services so the story broke, at each succesive stop it became increasingy worse, more destructive, more deadly.

Depressing time. Once we got to our hotel we, as millions of others no doubt were, were transfixed by the news broadcasts.

A truly terrible, world changing event. Prayers for all affected then and now.
11 Sep 2017 7:40AM
My son was at nursery that morning and usually I would be out of the house out but for some reason that morning, I was in and the TV on. I couldn't honestly believe what I was seeing; then the second plane hit and news of a third and fourth hijack. A truly awful day.
saltireblue Plus
7 7.2k 33 Norway
11 Sep 2017 7:46AM
I Was driving home from work when the first news came on the radio. A plane had crashed into one of the Twin Towers. No more confirmed info at that point and assumed it was a small single-engined Cessna or similar...
chris.maddock 16 3.7k United Kingdom
11 Sep 2017 8:04AM

Quote:I Was driving home from work when the first news came on the radio. A plane had crashed into one of the Twin Towers. No more confirmed info at that point and assumed it was a small single-engined Cessna or similar...

I was driving down the M40 on the way back from a meeting when the first plane hit and, like you, I assumed it was a light aircraft that had made a mistake or had a failure. When the second one was announced I realised that it was something else.

When I got home I heard about the Philadelphia one, but with no details at that stage so I had to shoot over to my parents house to dig out their address book so I could call my aunt who was living in Philadelphia at that time to make sure they were OK.
mrswoolybill Plus
10 1.1k 1766 United Kingdom
11 Sep 2017 8:11AM
We had a German friend staying with us, she had been on a hiking / camping holiday in Scotland but had injured her hip and came to us instead. I took her out for the day, we didn't hear the news until we returned home late afternoon. We must have been the last people in the country to know.

As a footnote, over the course of that week our friend passed through airport security five times, at various different airports, before and after 9/11. Each time she triggered the metal detector, each time she was patted down and they decided that it was the zip in her combat trousers. Only later when she was checking clothes into the washing machine did she find her Swiss army knife in the trouser pocket. That rather dented my trust in airport security.
cats_123 Plus
13 4.7k 28 Northern Ireland
11 Sep 2017 8:48AM
I was watching live TV that morning, saw the 2nd plane hit... thought at first it was an action movie, sadly not
Big Bri 16 16.2k United Kingdom
11 Sep 2017 8:52AM
I was at work, got contacted by a colleague in New Jersey to ask if I'd heard the news. I thought it was a bad joke at first. Went online and saw the second plane hit the second tower. My first thought was to check if my brother was there, as he worked there one week out of three. Luckily he was in London that week.

Quote:That rather dented my trust in airport security.

Also as a footnote, the day they closed Heathrow in 2006 due to intelligence about the "Liquid Bomb Plot", we flew out to Oregon 30 minutes before they closed the airport. That was the start of the "no liquids" rule. Skip forward 11 years, and coming back from Istanbul there is now enhanced security - once at the entrance to the airport, the usual security before getting to the gate, and then at the gate everyone searched. We got on the plane and I noticed one of my two friends I was travelling with had a 500ml bottle of water in a mesh pocket on his carry on bag - plain to see, yet went through 3 sets of security.
ChrisV 10 1.8k 26 United Kingdom
11 Sep 2017 1:49PM
I was called into the next office where they kept a portable tv used to watch and record videos on. Someone had heard the news about the first plane hitting and while we all watched while there was speculation whether or not it was an accident, the second one smashed into the towers. It was an unbelievable, sickening moment.

I was praying there would be no hasty, knee-jerk reprisals and for a long time it looked like there was a sane and sober response. That wasn't to last and the terrorists changed the world that day. A truly historic event for all the bad reasons.
StuartAt 12 1.1k 8 United Kingdom
11 Sep 2017 5:18PM
I was due to fly out to Florida on the 12th and had the afternoon of the 11th off work to pack. I remember hearing it on the news just before I left the office (initially we thought it was a small aircraft too) and then being transfixed by the horrific news reports all that afternoon, especially not knowing if we were going to be able to fly to the States or not. As it turned out, the holiday was cancelled and I ended up in Majorca a week later instead.
dark_lord Plus
13 2.0k 461 England
11 Sep 2017 7:59PM
I was at work in London putting together training materials and there was an email from a colleague in Manchester saying we should look at the news.
The internet froze (due to everyone trying to find out what had happneed) but some people manages to see some pictures. It didn't sink in until we got back home and watched the TV news.
A week later I was at Glasgow airport waiting for a prebooked taxi which was late. No-one around, must have looked suspicious.
A month or so later had to get a connecting flight from Florida. About half a dozen people in total on that plane.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.