Change gear with our partner, MPB

Memory Cards

laurab 18 53 United Kingdom
19 Jul 2009 8:46AM
SanDisk or Kingston? I have a D90 and currently use a SanDisk 2GB SD Ultra II. I am going to Africa later this year and i am looking at buying more cards. I note that the D90 can use SDHC cards but I tried one of these and it failed on me. Does anyone else use SDHC in their D90 and does make of card really matter?
mohikan22 Plus
17 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
19 Jul 2009 8:52AM
sorry probably no much help BUT i use sandisk in my Canon without failure (16gb SDHC) class6 and the missus uses a 4gb class6 sdhc in her Casio. both work find and dandy no failures or mis-shots. BUT u may have to buy the card reader (usb) as some card readers do not read them.
matt.
justin c 17 5.1k 36 England
19 Jul 2009 8:56AM
I don't think there's much to choose from between Sandisk and Kingston, they're both top brands.
I've always used Sandisk but have recently purchased Kingston which are considerably cheaper but seem every bit as good (so far).
Both companies offer a decent guarantee so it might be worth getting your faulty card replaced.
JoshuaJames 12 10 United Kingdom
19 Jul 2009 9:04AM
A card is a card is a card, a card holds data NOT images, the main thing is the speed at which it transfers Having said that I always use sandisk, but also use the cheaper jessops card, all the pros use expensive cards because they need to tranfer quick to get there pix on the front page for 2moros papers.
19 Jul 2009 9:07AM
Thanks guys.

Mohikan22 - Doh! I never gave the card reader a thought, I bet that is the cause of the problem, I will get a new one today.

Justin - PC World are selling 4GB SanDisk at 6.99 at the moment, but they are only class 2.

I think I am going to opt for Kingston 4GB class 4 SDHC twin pack for 13.99 delivered, and go buy a new card reader.

Thanks again

Laura
justin c 17 5.1k 36 England
19 Jul 2009 9:11AM

Quote:I think I am going to opt for Kingston 4GB class 4 SDHC twin pack for 13.99 delivered, and go buy a new card reader.

You can't go wrong for that price Smile
Tandberg 18 1.2k 2 England
19 Jul 2009 10:45AM
I use
Integral I pro Compacflash
Used them since i started in digital and i have never ever had one fail or give me a bad file.
Swear by them
Dave

Ps Andy rouse used them too
RadioChris 16 46 Scotland
19 Jul 2009 11:03AM
Can someone explain the reference to different classes? eg Class 2 or class 6?

JoshuaJames: A Card isn't just a card. For example Kingston CF cards don't work at all well in my Minolta DSLR. After I noticed the problem I checked on the web and lots of other people report having the same issue. I stick with Sandisk Extreme III CF cards.

Chris
PhilScot Plus
15 914 United Kingdom
19 Jul 2009 11:06AM
I use several kingston 4GB Class 6 from 7dayshop in my D90, no problems.
You can get a cheap SDHC card reader from them too
19 Jul 2009 11:11AM
Hey guys, I have changed my mind! I have just read the info on the SanDisk SDHC Extreme III and it sounds brilliant, and excellent for the D90 ! The cheapest I can find at the moment is 15.99 for a 4GB.
mohikan22 Plus
17 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
19 Jul 2009 2:44PM
Can someone explain the reference to different classes? eg Class 2 or class 6?
the higher the class the faster the read/write/xfer rates/

* Class 2: 2 MB/s - 13x
* Class 4: 4 MB/s - 26x
* Class 6: 6 MB/s - 40x
thewilliam 13 6.1k
19 Jul 2009 4:44PM
Yes, not all brands work in all cameras. My old Kodak DCS760 bodies didn't like Transcend cards but they work a treat in the D3 bodies that I use now. Kingston cards have worked well in Kodaks, D3 and my wife's D2Xs.

Much does depend on the reader. My new workstation has a built-in CF reader that works about 5 times as fast as any external reader that I've ever seen.

The most important thing is to ONLY EVER buy cards from a reputable source and to check it in a computer. Does the computer's description matche what's written on the label?

Fakes come in 3 categories:-
1. A cheapie card re-labelled as a top-price brand.
2. A small card that says it's larger.
3. A slow card re-labelled to say its faster.
mightymash 13 111 1 United Kingdom
19 Jul 2009 4:54PM

Quote:Can someone explain the reference to different classes? eg Class 2 or class 6?
the higher the class the faster the read/write/xfer rates/

* Class 2: 2 MB/s - 13x
* Class 4: 4 MB/s - 26x
* Class 6: 6 MB/s - 40x

Not quite correct. The higher the class the higher the Minimum transfer rate.

You can get class 2 and 4 cards that are both capable of a maximum of 15 MB/s, the minimum is where they differ.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.