Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Get the new ON1 Photo 10 and Save $100 Today. Use Code: GetPhoto10 View Offer

Menu help on Canon 300D

pmorgan 9 217 13 England
11 Oct 2007 9:28AM
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me out. Two days ago, for no particular reason, my menu started playing up. I have a Canon 300D (yes I know its ancient) and can now only get the menu up in auto mode. This means that I can no longer get into the extended menu for things like white balance and file types etc. If anybody has any idea why this has happened, and how to rectify it, I'd be most grateful to hear from you.

Thanks in advance

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2007 9:31AM
Cannot think of how to do this, but two thoughts, can you get to the factory reset part of the menu, if yes it would be worth doing that.

The other way would be to take both batteries out for a bit. If the menu works sometimes it sounds like the SW getting upset, as the button works.

A fellow user of vintage digital Wink
pmorgan 9 217 13 England
11 Oct 2007 9:59AM
Thanks for that John. I can't get to the factory reset, but even if I could, I'm worried that I would then not be able to get to my cutomised settings such as RAW etc. The only thing wrong at the moment is that the white balance is permanently set to daylight - not good if you know my work!

Do you know if the firmware still available for download anywhere?

11 Oct 2007 10:08AM
I think it is just in need of a reset, hence the advice to take the battery out. Can you not change White balance by holding down one of the arrows and rotating the command wheel.

I would search the cannon site for the firmware, but a hard reset may be enough.
pmorgan 9 217 13 England
11 Oct 2007 10:27AM
Hi John,

No, the arrow wheel combination doesn't seem to work. Guess I'll risk the reset. Cheers!
Firebaby 12 1.2k Faroe Islands
11 Oct 2007 5:27PM
For firmware you can google (other search engines are availiable), or try this link
p3asa 9 676 Scotland
11 Oct 2007 5:34PM
Have you put the control wheel round to one of the creative settings and then tried to access the menu? This should give you all the menus, if my memory serves me right. This used to catch me out all the time.

pmorgan 9 217 13 England
16 Oct 2007 3:14PM
Thanks for the help guys. What I actually had to do was painstakingly, screw by screw, take the back off the camera as sand had got in behind the buttons on the back holding one of them in. This prevented me from accessing the menu in auto mode. Works fine now, just one screw was cross threaded, and I had to drill it out - nightmare!
MrsS 9 4.5k 18 England
16 Oct 2007 11:17PM
I KNEW there was a reason I liked you Paul!!! Do you happen to know the 300D handshake, by any chance??? Wink

John - - looks like there'll be Two 300D's on Cheryl's Big Day Out Smile

Fran xx
16 Oct 2007 11:21PM
Err, shuffles feet, no I sold my 300D and bought a

says it quickly so no one notices

I did feel a bit disloyal, but after nearly 4 years I decided now was the time for a new camera.

But it will be nice to meet you. I am looking forward to it.
MrsS 9 4.5k 18 England
16 Oct 2007 11:22PM
Know what you mean, John - - given time and all that .... Wink

Still - - looking fwd to meeting you in NOV - - hope Cheryl isn't TOO hard a taskmaster Smile
16 Oct 2007 11:27PM
Actually it was Big Bri's fault.

After that punch in the face at the Avebury "Gorillas in the Mist" meeting where he thumped me one in the face/camera (see my upload from that meet) I thought it time to retire it.

Still November looks like fun. Remember to pose for those magazine pictures. Wink
MrsS 9 4.5k 18 England
16 Oct 2007 11:29PM
Having my hair done specially!!! Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.