WEX Offer: Save 50 On The Olympus OM-D E-M1X

Metallic prints from B.P.D Pho-tech

IRaddict 17 34
1 Dec 2005 7:07AM
Just wondering if anybody has tried these, and what sort of subjects lend themselves to this media?
I was concerned that they may be a bit tacky, but having never seen them who knows, I guess theres only one real way to find out but I'll wait and see if anyone has any feedback first, thanks
steve
mlewis 16 1.5k United Kingdom
1 Dec 2005 8:51AM
I have not had metallic prints done at BPD but have had them done at Peak Imaging. I had these pictures printed on metallic paper: this one and this one

They came out well but not quite as sharp as normal photo paper - fine details are a little blurred.

I have had a profession high gloss print of this done at BPD and it came very well indeed. Almost as glossy as a cibachrome print.
IRaddict 17 34
1 Dec 2005 9:16AM
thanks for the reply, I don't like the sound of the blurry fine details, is that Peak imaging in Leeds?
mlewis 16 1.5k United Kingdom
1 Dec 2005 9:25AM
Peak Imaging are in Sheffield. You probably wouldn't notice the slight bluriness at normal viewing distance.
BigCol 19 1.8k 1 Scotland
1 Dec 2005 2:47PM
Funny you should raise this now. I've just received a sample print from Kodak on their Kodak Professional Endura Metalic Paper and the detail on it is absolutely stunning.
Wonderfully crisp and beautiful tones.

Take a look HERE to find a lab who, according to Kodak, will print on this paper. I've looked at a few but can find no reference online to any prices for prints on this paper.

If you do try it let me know how you get on.

Col
IRaddict 17 34
1 Dec 2005 11:46PM
Thanks again Meredith and thanks also Col.
I'm going to try some with BPD, I'll post my thought on them here
when I get them back, I'm away next week so it'll be after then.
cheers
Steve.
IRaddict 17 34
4 May 2006 10:51AM
5 months later........finally got round to getting some Kodak Professional Endura Metalic prints from BPD.
I had 2 done, a colour and a mono, both are amazing in terms of colour and contrast expectations and the metallic look is more subtle than I expected but a very pleasing almost 3d appearance. Detail and sharpness is also not to be sniffed at.
Of course its a matter of personal taste but these are the best prints I've ever had done and I've tried quite a few labs in the past.
kaybee 16 7.4k 26 Scotland
4 May 2006 11:37AM
WH Smiths do there own metalic papers (silver and gold). It isn't expensive and you can see the results as soon as it pops out of your home printer.
The best effects (I find) are when there are areas with the base colour allowed to show through
photofrenzy 13 424 2 United Kingdom
23 May 2010 12:01AM
BPD photech are without argument the best lab in europe. Some of the top photographers in the world use them try also thier HIGH GLOSS its thier new digital cibachrome the quality colour and contrast will completely blow your mind Wink
Strobe 13 1.3k United States
23 May 2010 7:45AM
Glad I read this, I am about to order a batch of A4 prints, I usually use Photobox, I will try BPH
Les_G 13 148 4 Scotland
23 May 2010 11:00AM
I had some metallic prints doen by Loxleys and they were stunning. Seemed to give a 3D effect.
One thing I have found is that when judging the mettalic prints really stand out from the crowd.
27 May 2010 7:10PM
I submitted and image on Monday and received it today, it is a metallic print and all I can say is "OMG" it has come out fantastic. You almost want to reach inside the photo and touch it.
IRaddict 17 34
2 Nov 2010 2:46PM
Update:

Even better than BPD are CC imaging in Leeds, they have a fully calibrated output and both metallic and gloss prints are brilliant.
Cheaper too!
13 Mar 2011 4:23PM

Quote:Update:

CC imaging in Leeds,

I am on their website, bit confusing, they appear to do Metallic but I cannot see it on their price list....
dcash29 15 2.4k England
13 Mar 2011 7:17PM
I have used Bpd in the past and agree their high gloss are the best.

I haven't seen Bpd's metallic but have had some prints done at Kodak express . Very helpful and great price.

In my opinion metallic only lends itself to metallic 'coloured' objects or sunrise/sunsets HERE & HERE

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.