Micro Four Thirds - do we kid ourselves somewhat?

Chris_L 5 5.1k United Kingdom
21 Sep 2016 12:31AM
Isn't the case that ownership of dedicated cameras is returning to pre-digital levels? The people who bought a digital camera to create dating and social profile photos and to photograph ebay items now just use a smartphone. They didn't buy digital cameras to take up the hobby of photography.

Are there concrete figures somewhere for camera sales by Canon, Nikon etc where say the 1980s is compared to 2005 and also to now?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse 16 41.2k 270 England
21 Sep 2016 12:39AM

Quote: Isn't the case that ownership of dedicated cameras is returning to pre-digital levels?

Could be. There may have been an upsurge starting about 15 years ago when the first digital cameras stated to emerge. Would be interesting to see some figures, for sure.

Fact remains through that a high proportion of photos are no longer taken on dedicated cameras. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a (large) majority. Again, some stats would be interesting.
21 Sep 2016 1:01AM
OK, here's a report from Deloittes.

"We estimate that over 90 percent of the photos shared or stored online will have been taken on a smartphone. "

"We expect 1.6 billion smartphones to be sold in total this year, equivalent to about 23 times peak sales of film cameras (70 million units, 1999), 13 times the peak for digital cameras (120 million SLR and compact digital cameras, 2010) and 40 times 2014 digital camera sales (40 million units). We forecast about three-quarters of smartphones sold to be upgrades, with most having better cameras, processors, connectivity and storage than their predecessors."

21 Sep 2016 1:14AM
Yes but it's not that interesting, it just tells you that people are buying phones. It doesn't tell us whether camera sales to camera enthusiasts are more or less now than they were in the days of film.

Am actually surprised that only 90% of online images originate from smartphones. I'd have guessed 99.9%!

No way are 1 in 10 of my friends taking photos to put online with a non-phone camera.
21 Sep 2016 1:27AM
It does say "over" 90%. It also says shared or stored online. Very likely that is near enough all digital photos, viz. shared + stored.

So.... the bottom line is that only a very small proportion of photos taken, these days, emanate from dedicated cameras.... i.e. the sort we drone on about, endlessly, on this forum!

Perhaps we EPZers are becoming like the ancient philosophers arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin! grin-light.jpg

Paul Morgan 18 19.3k 6 England
21 Sep 2016 2:14AM

Quote:Yes but it's not that interesting, it just tells you that people are buying phones. It doesn't tell us whether camera sales to camera enthusiasts are more or less now than they were in the days of film.

Am actually surprised that only 90% of online images originate from smartphones. I'd have guessed 99.9%!

No way are 1 in 10 of my friends taking photos to put online with a non-phone camera.

Personally I have no family or friends that use camera`s, we are a dying breed I think Smile

Thirty years ago just about every one had a camera, 35mm compact, 110 etc.
21 Sep 2016 2:44AM
When you take out a 'proper' camera, these days, you often get looked as if you are a creature from a distant planet! shocking-light.jpg

That tells me all I need to know! wink-light.jpg

That said..... it is good to see new manufacturers taking up the MFT format. Link
21 Sep 2016 5:01AM

Quote:When you take out a 'proper' camera, these days, you often get looked as if you are a creature from a distant planet!

I keep having the idea of getting out with this one, it goes well with flippers and a wet suit.

599_1474430466.jpg

I`d probably look quite scary pacing the streets Smile
DaveRyder Plus
5 3.3k 1 United Kingdom
21 Sep 2016 8:37AM

Quote:When you take out a 'proper' camera, these days, you often get looked as if you are a creature from a distant planet!

I made this comment in a post on weekly B&W thread - I was taking a shot of our local Art Deco Bus Stands.
"7:45am and taking pics of the local bus stand - the children waiting for the school bus opposite were quite intrigued (well I think that's what they said....)"

Never occurred to me it could be because I was using a camera not a phone.
SlowSong Plus
11 8.2k 30 England
25 Sep 2016 7:59PM
I tried the camera in a tricky situation today where the dynamic range was a bit too wide, the interior light level being very low and light streaming in from windows very bright. As the colour range was negligible, mostly wood and metal, I thought I'd capture the jpegs in mono. They looked OK on the replay, but once downloaded to the computer I found there was much more detail captured in the colour versions, raw of course. So in future I won't bother with mono jpegs, but perhaps just set the screen to show as mono just so I can see what it would look like, but convert in PS or Nik.

I think I get better mono results with the dslr, but with m43 it's just a different way of working.
25 Sep 2016 9:43PM
I think you need total control over the process that no automated system can beat. I used to mix to B&W in Photoshop. I, rather than the camera or a plug in, would decide what would happen to different colours. Would the blues turn to light gray or deep black (a choice that makes skies look worlds apart). Red lips, yellow flowers, green grass. You need to choose which shade of gray each becomes in the final image that is only shades of gray.
25 Sep 2016 10:12PM
Yep, that's what I do, I`d use channel mixer with Ps.

I`m not even all that keen on the built in B&W Lr presets.
30 Sep 2016 8:30AM
Canon are fighting their corner when it comes to 'proper' cameras. They are cherry picking shot types though

Do Smartphone Photos Compare To A Canon Camera?

http://www.canon.co.uk/get-inspired/come-and-see/showcase/comparison-smartphone-vs-camera/
30 Sep 2016 12:29PM
The fact that Canon feel the need to put up articles like this on their website, tells us all we need to know! They are obviously becoming very concerned.

I look forward to the first Canon smartphone with optical zoom. I might even buy one! Wink
30 Sep 2016 3:51PM
Obviously they are, other manufacturers need to follow suit or risk losing massive market-share to Samsung, Apple and Co..

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.