Microsoft 'services'.

Chris_L 5 5.1k United Kingdom
11 Jul 2019 4:37PM

Quote:I don't think I use any of them

You just need to open one of them or install one of them even once. For example

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong Plus
10 8.1k 30 England
11 Jul 2019 6:06PM
When MS say you have to log in at least once every 2 years, in the case of Outlook say, does that mean you just have to use it during that time, but that any services you don't use will be stopped? It's not absolutely clear what the mean by logging in.
Jestertheclown 10 7.9k 252 England
11 Jul 2019 7:32PM
Don't you automatically acquire a Microsoft account when you instal or begin using a Windows OS?
SlowSong Plus
10 8.1k 30 England
11 Jul 2019 8:08PM
I've no idea.
Big Bri 18 16.5k United Kingdom
12 Jul 2019 9:00AM

Quote:Don't you automatically acquire a Microsoft account when you instal or begin using a Windows OS?

Only if you choose to use an email to log in to Windows. I avoid all that stuff and stick with good old usernames.
Tianshi_angie 4 2.5k England
12 Jul 2019 10:24AM

Quote:
You just need to open one of them or install one of them even once. For example

Yes I did use it back in 2011. Haven't used it since Windows went to 10.
12 Jul 2019 11:42AM
You have used it since Windows went to 10 Angie.

Your post is from 2015 about you opening the app on Windows 10. The post that I linked to above after searching the forum. You are very clear::

Quote:
If you have Windows 10 then Movie maker is there. If you click on 'All Apps' and go through the list it is listed under 'Movie Maker'. I have just opened mine and it looks fine so i would suspect that it will work to rotate the video.

And, as I said, you just need to open one of the apps on the list and just the once. The mystery is solved.

Also when you upgraded to Windows 10 you had to accept terms and conditions in order to proceed, including "(i) Some Windows apps provide an access point to, or rely on, online services, and the use of those services is sometimes governed by separate terms and privacy policies"
12 Jul 2019 3:28PM
I did check Chris that it was still there but I haven't actually used it. Are you saying that simply checking it leaves me open to whatever this new 'contract' is (which I am not at all sure about and think it could be illegal under English Law)? And one of the aspects of Windows which I have always found worrying is this insistence that you upgrade - quite often done when your back is turned. What about if I revert to Windows 7? I just hate this feeling that somewhere I have been conned into something I didn't want!
12 Jul 2019 5:20PM
You opened a Windows app that's on the list, you said you opened it and it looks fine, that's enough for you to have used certain services.

The email address that they emailed you on is associated with your Microsoft Account. You can check if that is the case here , if you don't have a password they will let you create one.

Quote:If you continue to use our products or services on or after 30 August 2019, you are agreeing to the updated terms of the Microsoft Services Agreement.

Quote:How do I accept these terms?
By using or accessing our products or services on or after 30 August 2019, you are agreeing to the updated Microsoft Services Agreement. If you do not agree, you can choose to discontinue using the products and services, and close your Microsoft account before 30 August 2019.

If you're worried then close your Microsoft Account . If you don't think you have a Microsoft Account and they've emailed your email address in error then get in touch with them on 0344 800 2400
12 Jul 2019 7:55PM
Thank you for that Chris.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.