Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Microsoft Edge opinions wanted

justin c 17 5.1k 36 England
14 Jan 2021 1:26PM
A little late to the party I know Tongue, but having just recently moved from Windows 7 to 10, I notice there's a new web browser called Edge.
Just wondering what peoples opinion are regarding this new browser.

Do you use it?
Do you prefer it to other browsers?
Are there any advantages/disadvantages compared to Google Chrome (which I'm familiar with)?
saltireblue Plus
10 11.4k 69 Norway
14 Jan 2021 1:29PM
Edge is just the new name they have given to what was Internet Explorer before. (It is also available for macOS, iOS, or Android devices.)
Jestertheclown 12 8.4k 253 England
14 Jan 2021 1:57PM

Quote:Edge is just the new name they have given to what was Internet Explorer before.

It's Explorer's replacement but it's not the same thing.

If you're using Windows 10, you'll have both installed.

I use Edge on occasions and it seems to work as well enough but from choice, I still use Chrome, as I have done for years.

I suppose I'm just used to it.
petebfrance 9 2.9k France
14 Jan 2021 4:55PM
I'm currently using Edge and it seems OK. Used to use Explorer but that's a mess now with lots of sites saying it's out of date and not working. Occasionally use Firefox (which I also used to use alongside Explorer), but prefer Edge because I've come unstuck (only once, admittedly) with something that just wouldn't work with Firefox but Edge handled just fine; can't recall what it was, but it was frustrating at the time. I don't like the 'favourites' on Edge as much as on the old Explorer, but, well, they work.
14 Jan 2021 5:32PM
As far as programs on my Windows computer I do not use anything which comes from Windows/Microsoft except for the actual OS as most companies these days track you so that they can provide everything you want from clothes to food and reading material (and who knows what else they keep their eye on. I use Firefox as it does very little tracking and helps to prevent evryone else from tracking. I do not wish my phone, pad or whatever else I use to be 'sync'ed with my computer - whether or not I am wrong I do not know, I just feel that this leaves everything open to hackers. It is very easy to transfer photos taken with a phone to the computer and vice versa - they have different email addresses!
14 Jan 2021 6:07PM
Opera for me, on my phone. linux laptop, windows 10 laptop and tablet.
JackAllTog Plus
11 6.2k 58 United Kingdom
14 Jan 2021 6:11PM
Its as good as Chrome, only a very few sites/systems are better than one or the other. Edge uses chrome technology so they are very close.
14 Jan 2021 6:45PM
Thank you for all the feedback so far Smile
I've tried it briefly over the last day or two and I'm certainly impressed with the speed that websites open.

Does anyone know if it's a colour managed browser? Wasn't the fact that Internet Explorer wasn't colour managed always one of it's disadvantages compared to Chrome or Firefox?
dark_lord Plus
16 2.7k 735 England
14 Jan 2021 7:43PM

Quote:Does anyone know if it's a colour managed browser?

No, and that's one reason I stick to Firefox. The only other colour managed browser is Safari, I'm informed by Willie (banehawi). A number of uploads to this site are in Adobe RGB and not sRGB as preferred.
14 Jan 2021 8:06PM

Quote:
Quote:Does anyone know if it's a colour managed browser?

No, and that's one reason I stick to Firefox. The only other colour managed browser is Safari, I'm informed by Willie (banehawi). A number of uploads to this site are in Adobe RGB and not sRGB as preferred.

Thank you.
Jestertheclown 12 8.4k 253 England
14 Jan 2021 8:31PM
Apparently, it's possible to force Chrome to display sRGB.

Not sure that it makes much difference though.
DaveRyder Plus
6 4.9k 7 United Kingdom
14 Jan 2021 9:35PM
Currently using Edge - when I worked for a living our IT techs told me the security aspects of the program were better.
I have no practical knowledge to challenge/confirm that.
chavender Plus
10 479 1 France
15 Jan 2021 8:04AM
Used Firefox for years mainly due to the colour management.
Works flawlessly with my windows and linux boxes.
Big Bri 19 16.6k United Kingdom
15 Jan 2021 9:07AM
The latest version of Edge uses the same Chromium engine that is at the heart of Google Chrome, so more websites will run properly on it that would have done with either IE or the first versions of Edge.
It is just as good as Chrome in some respects, better in some, worse in others. Best thing is to try it and see how you get on. The largest benefit of using it rather than Chrome is that Google won't be harvesting your data as much.
Dave_Canon 14 1.9k United Kingdom
15 Jan 2021 12:26PM
I have used Edge ever since it was available. I understand security is better and (if you allow it to store any passwords, they are encrypted). I only let is store unimportant passwords but not banks or finance. I do have Firefox and Chrome on my PC mainly for testing my website but when I occasionally try Firefox it seems to have problems with some sites. No need to worry about MS collecting lots of data, Google already know everything about you.

Dave

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.