Save 10% On Pictar Home Studio Pro Photography Kits With Code: EPHOTOZINE10

Minimising GX7 shutter shock

Carabosse 17 41.4k 270 England
26 Jun 2017 12:36AM
Quite a good explanation of shutter shock here

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan 19 19.4k 6 England
26 Jun 2017 9:13AM
That subject had been done to death in some forums, can`t say I`ve ever experienced it with mirrorless but I very rarely ever use a tripod.
Just Jas Plus
18 26.3k 1 England
26 Jun 2017 9:17AM
Very interesting article, CB.
26 Jun 2017 10:19AM

Quote:That subject had been done to death in some forums, can`t say I`ve ever experienced it with mirrorless but I very rarely ever use a tripod.

Yes, I too have not experienced it - possibly for the same reason.
Chris_L 6 5.5k United Kingdom
26 Jun 2017 10:51AM
Don't let a minor fact like that stop you from being an expert on the subject CB Tongue
26 Jun 2017 10:56AM

Quote:Don't let a minor fact like that stop you from being an expert on the subject CB Tongue

Well you don't, so why should I? Tongue
ChrisV Plus
13 2.3k 26 United Kingdom
26 Jun 2017 11:11AM
It doesn't just happen with tripod. I know that the GX8 has been identified as being perhaps a worse culprit than its predecessor [although I have to say having used both, I find it a significantly better camera overall].

I hadn't noticed it at all until the other night, but I do shoot a lot of the time out and about with the electronic shutter, which completely eliminates the problem. Obviously the situations to avoid this are when shooting moving subjects* and shooting with flash**. It was the latter I noticed the other night - not on all captures by any means [in fact relatively few], but enough to disappoint with the odd ruined shot which might otherwise have been a stand-out. Flash sync speeds are typically in the range where shutter shock may come into play.

*the 'jello effect' happens because the sensor reads sequentially from top to bottom - so by the time the readout gets to the bottom of the sensor the subject has moved on slightly, giving that weird angled stepping.

**flash won't work in ES/silent mode, because again the sync can't be made with a sequential read of the sensor.
26 Jun 2017 11:21AM
Interesting. I had the GX8 but quickly got rid of it... not (knowingly) for shutter shock reasons but I was just not 100% happy with results but mainly because it didn't feel quite right - for me, anyway.

I put the sub-par results down to my own ineptitude - I have always been a bit dismissive of shutter shock.

Probably wasn't shutter shock. Blush
Chris_L 6 5.5k United Kingdom
26 Jun 2017 12:12PM

Quote:Well you don't, so why should I?
Exactly!
ChrisV Plus
26 Jun 2017 12:14PM
In this particular case it does look like shutter shock - it's in the right range and the later shots I did in silent mode, usually at slower shutter speeds were all pretty sharp [maybe the couple of glasses of wine I had relaxed me!] It was outdoors but a warm evening - I did a few staged shots with the thesps in the gardens before the perfomance and then a good few of the performance itself. Obviously not flash [or shutter noise!] with the latter and the light did start to dip. I do tend to shoot auto ISO, so noise is there in some shots [although looking at them on my iPad Pro at reasonably high resolutions it's not over-obvious even at quite high sensitivities], but the only blur I was getting was as people departed the stage!

But as I say it wasn't something that was happening all the time, so it doesn't seem to be catastrophic or all that predictable as to when it's going to happen. I do tend to duplicate shots with flash, but time being tight there were a good few one-offs with a small number of disappointing results.
ChrisV Plus
26 Jun 2017 12:26PM
EDIT:

I'm doing down the GX8. It was actually my EM1 that exhibited that problem - all the shots I took flash-synced with the GX8 are tack-sharp. Ironically I was shooting with the Oly 17mm on that, while I had the Panasonic 35-100 f2.8 on the Olympus body*. In hindsight perhaps there was some weird conflict going on between the Oly's IBIS and the OIS of the lens? The IBIS in that camera is effective down to crazy-slow shutter speeds in normal circumstances.

[*Just the way it worked out as I switched lenses, maybe I should think more about matching marques in future!]

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.