30-Day FREE Amazon Prime Trial - Get Ready For Prime Day 2021

Minolta 500mm mirror lens (AF)

georghiades 18 30 United Kingdom
13 Apr 2003 4:00PM
I have recently been given the oportunity to buy a mint condition 500mm mirror lens for under 200. I already own a 100-300 APO lens and was thinking of getting either this lens or a 2x tele converter.

Besides the limitations of f/8 on the mirror lens and the "doughnut" feature, both of which I could live with are there any people out there with experience using this or other mirror lens which would advise me otherwise?

Which would be the better option?

mad-dogs 18 2.2k England
13 Apr 2003 4:32PM
Yup! i find mine gives slightly soft images. But it is about 20 years old!!
User_Removed 19 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
13 Apr 2003 5:46PM
You say in the title that you are talking about a Minolta 500mm Mirror lens (AF).

I assume you ralise that mirror lenses are manual lenses. Whilst they may well fit a cmaera that has AF, the lerns itself does not have this facility.

Also, a 2x converter on your 100-300 lens is likely to render the AF on this lens effectively inoperable as most AF systems (except on the top pro spec cameras) require a maximum aperture of at least 5.6 to work effectively (if at all)

Barrie
mad-dogs 18 2.2k England
13 Apr 2003 7:01PM
Sorry - did not make it clear before - my 8 Minolta mirror lens gives slightly soft images.
Using a converter with tele lenses quite often softens or degrades the images too due to the extra optics involved.
J-P 18 396
13 Apr 2003 9:16PM
Barrie, the Minolta is AF - it is the only AF mirror lens available. I have just bought one. Unfortunately I can't tell you much about it as it has been delivered to my UK address and I don't get home for another 3 weeks.

If you switch the camera to manual focus you will lose matrix metering and it will be centre weighted.

As Barrie says, your 100-300 may not AF with a x2 on it. Having said that if it works with an f8 mirror it may still work. Personally, I'd go for the 500 as I did - primes lenses are always better.
Colin Smale 18 518 England
14 Apr 2003 9:45AM
Don't do it, forget it. Many years ago I thought I could put up with the doughnut rings on highlights, the f8 very slow lens, I kidded myself. Mirror lenses belong with the dinosaurs, much better to fit a 1.4 converter to your existing lens than get that mirror, whoever is selling it won't believe his luck if someone buys it! I don't like-em much do I.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.