Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 10 Ultimate

Mirror lock up 350D

DAVID LYDIATE 18 305
24 Jul 2006 2:17PM
I am buying the Canon350D and am refering to the quote from the Msgic Lantern guide below

"Once set, the mirror will lock up when the shutter button is pressed. Press the shutter button again to make the exposure. If, after 30 seconds, you don't press the shutter, the mirror will flip back down" the para then adds "When using the Self-timer with bulb exposure and Mirror lockup, you must keep the shutter depressed during the two-second Seft-timer countdown, otherwise you will hear a shutter but the image will not be captured"

My question is that if you keep the shutter depressed during the two second countdown, this could caise camera shake? ie pressure on shutter as it is depressed.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
24 Jul 2006 2:40PM
On my 300D hack software, which is how the 10D and I think 350D works, mirror lock only requires one shutter press.

It is press shutter, mirror flips, there is a delay, then shutter fires and mirror returns. only one shutter press.

The flash tends to fire on mirror up and again on picture taking.

If you had to press the shutter again it would defeat the object.
JohnHawthorne 14 1.7k 5 Scotland
24 Jul 2006 2:46PM

Quote:"When using the Self-timer with bulb exposure and Mirror lockup, you must keep the shutter depressed during the two-second Seft-timer countdown, otherwise you will hear a shutter but the image will not be captured"

Either this is complete nonsense or it only applies to bulb exposures. I use mirror-lockup with self timer all the time and you only need to press the shutter button once. Two seconds later the camera takes the picture. I have never tried it with bulb exposures though as I've never needed more than 30 seconds for my exposures.
brian1208 17 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
24 Jul 2006 2:54PM
I think there may be some confusion between the "Self-timer" operation and "Bulb". Self timer you can set to 10sec or 2sec delay after which the shutter fires so with or without Mirror Lock up one shutter button press does it all.

With Bulb, you press to open and release to close (p93 of the manual)

P 94 is confusing and does appear to suggest that you need to press the shutter button continuously in both modes but it is only for the Bulb mode. For self-timer is just a single press and release, the mirror goes up then (in my case) 2secs later the shutter operates after which the mirror drops back (I've just done it to confirm what I am saying is right! Smile

Brian

(edit - John types faster than me! Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.