Check out the new X-Rite ColorChecker Passport Photo 2 and be in with a chance of winning one!

Mirror or Mirrorless DSLR?

pink Plus
15 5.8k 7 United Kingdom
12 Apr 2019 8:19AM

Quote:

Same for me, 60+ but still prefer to carry around my DSLR, probably a dinosaur?
I find the use of a DSLR to be a very immersive experience, I use a mirrorless and various compacts but theres something about a DSLR that makes me smile when I use it, one day I might be forced to change but I'll struggle on for as long as possible because its what I enjoy.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong Plus
10 8.0k 30 England
12 Apr 2019 1:31PM

Quote:
Quote:

I find the use of a DSLR to be a very immersive experience, I use a mirrorless and various compacts but theres something about a DSLR that makes me smile when I use it..

I agree with Pink. I feel as if I'm doing "real" photography using the DSLR, but the m43s are so much easier.
Jestertheclown 10 7.9k 252 England
12 Apr 2019 3:33PM

Quote:I feel as if I'm doing "real" photography using the DSLR.

You do, don't you . . . ?

Maybe the noise has something to do with it.
I have three Nikon DSLRs and they each make a different sound.
I'm not so sad that I could identify them from their soundtrack but it is quite a reassuring sound.
SlowSong Plus
10 8.0k 30 England
12 Apr 2019 5:26PM

Quote:
Quote:I feel as if I'm doing "real" photography using the DSLR.

You do, don't you . . . ?

Maybe the noise has something to do with it.
I have three Nikon DSLRs and they each make a different sound.
I'm not so sad that I could identify them from their soundtrack but it is quite a reassuring sound.

No, on the contrary, i find the clatter a nuisance. A Dslr is just so much easier to use in manual and the size and weight are reassuring. I like to use one for macro work and for critical dof work.
However, for street work and low light level shooting, I love the M43s. So light and discrete, and silent. Perfect for carrying around in a handbag too.
Jestertheclown 10 7.9k 252 England
12 Apr 2019 5:39PM
That makes sense.
I've never owned or used an M4/3 but I used to have a Fuji bridge camera which was light, discreet and silent so I have some idea.
I never put it in a handbag though.
saltireblue Plus
8 9.1k 35 Norway
12 Apr 2019 6:05PM

Quote:A Dslr is just so much easier to use in manual and the size and weight are reassuring.

Not so, in my opinion.
I find the two Fujis I have far easier to use in full manual mode, and the use of external dials and buttons gives far better, instant control over all the settings - especially when used in conjunction with the FN buttons - than the Canon 5Diii I had before.
It also has the benefit of slowing me down and thinking about what I am doing rather than the almost 'point & shoot' world of the Canon.
As for size and weight, I find it more reassuring to have something in my hands that is easier and lighter to use, especially when covering live gigs that last several hours.

Quote:I like to use one for macro work and for critical dof work.

Having used 3 Canon dslr's before switching to ML, I cannot say that I prefer the one over the other. The ease of use and results are just as good whichever system is used.
SlowSong Plus
10 8.0k 30 England
12 Apr 2019 6:17PM
I've never been able to get on with Fuji for some reason. I've had two, but returned them in favour of Panasonics.
LenShepherd 11 3.9k United Kingdom
12 Apr 2019 10:21PM
The OP's question was about the Pros and Cons of mirrorless rather than individual preferences Smile
SlowSong Plus
10 8.0k 30 England
13 Apr 2019 8:06AM

Quote:The OP's question was about the Pros and Cons of mirrorless rather than individual preferences Smile

One person's pros and cons would be different from another's, so any opinions are valid.
13 Apr 2019 8:30AM

Quote:
Quote:The OP's question was about the Pros and Cons of mirrorless rather than individual preferences Smile

One person's pros and cons would be different from another's, so any opinions are valid.

Your feedback seems to depend on whether you believe in using logic to respond to a logical question.
SlowSong Plus
10 8.0k 30 England
13 Apr 2019 9:11AM

Quote:
Quote:

Your feedback seems to depend on whether you believe in using logic to respond to a logical question.

You don't need to be logical to give an opinion. I've learned much from my own and other people's experiences. Not all have been entirely logical, but have nevertheless been helpful. I bow to your far superior knowledge, Len. GrinWink
13 Apr 2019 10:53AM

Quote:
You don't need to be logical to give an opinion. I've learned much from my own and other people's experiences. Not all have been entirely logical, but have nevertheless been helpful.

My point is the OP asked about pros and cons, not individuals opinions of the pros and cons - as in "can any kind sole tell me the pros and cons of mirror or mirrorless cameras please".
keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
13 Apr 2019 12:46PM
Priceless
14 Apr 2019 9:07AM
Fishing for answers ?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.