Start your photography store - 30% off Picfair Plus!

Mobile Broadband - Recommendations?

dark_lord Plus
15 2.3k 577 England
20 Jul 2009 1:00PM
Thanks for all the replies.
In the end I went for the Vodafone PAYG option. I had the same with the SIM card, but it turned out to be a problem with the card. Went back to the shop, put a new card in, plugged in the USB stick and off it went, no problem. Goes well enough with a 3G broadband signal, though that will vary depending on where I am at the time.
BTW not using it at the moment.

Keith

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Anthony 17 5.6k 17 United Kingdom
20 Jul 2009 2:29PM
I took mine back to the shop, and they did the same. Quite amusing, they mumbled to each other, we got another one, ha ha

I reckon it must be a common problem.

All my online activity since Saturday afternoon, is with the new dongle, and it zips along quite nicely. No conection drop outs, so Im happy.

Anthony
dark_lord Plus
15 2.3k 577 England
20 Jul 2009 8:11PM
I'm using it now, and as you say, zips along well.
User_Removed 9 718 9 England
22 Jul 2009 8:32PM
I am currently on the 3 mobile broadband trip, and i wanna get off!!!
The connection is absolutely terrible, in fact i just had the "connection lost" window pop up just as i began this sentence. I wish now that id got one on o2 as i have never had any issues with their network in any shape or form, unfortunately when i haggled for this laptop and extras, they only had dongles on the 3 network, which i got for free, the dongle not lappy.
But i feel i would have benefitted more if i had paid for an o2 widget, as the money i have spent topping up, only to have to reconnect or wait while it gets a signal is worthless.
3, you guys suck.
Alison H
dougv 15 8.4k 3 England
22 Jul 2009 9:40PM
It always pays to check the coverage of the networks before deciding which one to go with.
I have a 3 PAYG dongle and it is super fast and reliable in all the places I use it.
User_Removed 9 718 9 England
23 Jul 2009 2:53AM
oh how annoying lol i often use mine while out and about and coverage seems fine out in the countryside but as soon as i go anywhere built up, signal strength suffers badly.
Whats more annoying is that when i first got it, it was okish, it certainly did not lose connection every time i farted or moved, but now it is just beyond a joke, and its getting worse each day.
Alison H
Carabosse 16 41.2k 270 England
21 Aug 2009 7:46PM
Does anyone use mobile broadband in preference to 'normal' broadband via a landline, i.e. on a static computer?
stevekhart 13 4.5k 3 United Kingdom
21 Aug 2009 7:49PM

Quote:Does anyone use mobile broadband in prefernce to 'normal' broadband via a landline, i.e. on a static computer?

Only in preference to cost, though the uplink is faster than BT cos mobile isn't asynchronous.
ellis rowell 14 2.0k United Kingdom
31 Aug 2009 8:59AM
I don't "Roam" with my laptop, but as a member of the Cyclists' Touring Club cycling up to 50 miles radius of Cambridge, I find that Mobile phone service is very patchy. I used to be with Orange. Often couldn't get a signal at home and is very unreliable when away from Trunkroads and Motorways. I changed to ASDA (Vodafone) which is better but still has some bad patches, but at least I do get a signal at home, and it's a lot cheaper (8p/min and 4p/text, PAYG).
Goggz 12 2.3k 72 Wales
31 Aug 2009 10:29AM
I've got an Orange one, err modem that is Tongue
It's total pants in the house and not worth using then, but as soon as I get a clear view of the transmitter it is really quite good. I got it because we have radio broadband that is always failing... sometimes I spend days without it Sad

That's my 2 zloty's worth.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.