GB Sports Photographer & The Panasonic LUMIX S1

Models who try to increase their fee after making an agreement

Everyone,

I recently arranged an all-day studio shoot with three models. I sent out a casting and approached several models directly.

I agreed content, length of shoot , modelling fees and travel costs with three models of my choice.

The first two models agreed prices and we then discussed more detailed information with regards to clothes and individual image sequences for the shoot.

But, within a few days of agreeing the shoot, the third model just kept asking for more and more money.

At this point I made one good move and one error. The good move was that I had actually agreed with a fourth model as well and informed this fourth model that she was the "first choice reserve" in the event of a model dropping out.

So I cancelled the third model (the one who kept asking for more money) and arranged for the fourth model to be the replacement.

The bad move was that, when the third model sent me a massive series of messages which went from begging, to abuse and finally accusations of sexual harassment, I stupidly got into a messaging conversation with her.

Anyway, has anyone else had experiences of this ? If so , how did you deal with the situation ?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Overread 11 4.1k 19 England
28 Feb 2016 4:45PM
Say nothing and contact a lawyer.

Sometimes all you need is one stern letter from an actual legal representative and people will back off; otherwise they will push and push and threaten all they can (especially if you've risen to responding to such).

Keep a record of all your communications and contact a lawyer. It's good to know one or two for when you need contacts or other legal advice.

The other option is to simply stop communicating and ignore the person. Judging by what you say chances are this model won't have a good network and even if they kick up a fuss its unlikely to carry much weight.

AT the end of the day its your money; your shoot; your choice. It doesn't sound like you'd signed the 3rd model on and thus were still negotiating. You chose to end that and move on and that's the end of it.
Chris_L 5 5.2k United Kingdom
28 Feb 2016 6:14PM
If you've done or said anything wrong, even in anger, apologise as soon as possible. Then politely explain that your money is spent on the other model and you need to draw a line and move on.
PrimePix 3 2
28 Feb 2016 7:01PM

Quote:Say nothing and contact a lawyer.

Sometimes all you need is one stern letter from an actual legal representative and people will back off; otherwise they will push and push and threaten all they can (especially if you've risen to responding to such).

Keep a record of all your communications and contact a lawyer. It's good to know one or two for when you need contacts or other legal advice.

The other option is to simply stop communicating and ignore the person. Judging by what you say chances are this model won't have a good network and even if they kick up a fuss its unlikely to carry much weight.

AT the end of the day its your money; your shoot; your choice. It doesn't sound like you'd signed the 3rd model on and thus were still negotiating. You chose to end that and move on and that's the end of it.

Speaking from personal experience this is the best route to go...
thewilliam 11 6.1k
28 Feb 2016 9:24PM
I'd regard this as a lucky escape from model #3.

If she's difficult now, the chances are that she'll become impossible as the business relationship progresses!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.