Modem question

toonboy 15 75 United Kingdom
17 Sep 2007 5:13PM
I am having Virgin Media broadband installed in my new house for which they have sent me a Atlanta2100 modem, my question is can I use my Belkin moden/router to convert it to wireless or will the two modems not work together

Thanks Ken

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
17 Sep 2007 5:20PM
Why not just use your existing modem for the Vigin system? Are they different types e.g is the new service cable based and the old one phone based?

I use my own wireless modem on virgin Broadband via a telephone line.

I think the answer is probably, is the new modem connected to your PC via USB or Eithernet. If the latter try connecting the new moden via an eithernet port on your Belkin.

Give it a go you have nothing to loose, except time.
17 Sep 2007 6:09PM
Thanks Strawman

The new system is cable based so I have to connect through the Virgin modem, I could try and connect the two modems together via ethernet as you say
Lou_C 12 755 2 England
17 Sep 2007 7:05PM
I used to have Virgin (well Blueyonder before it was sold) and ADSL routers would not work with the cable system, we had to buy another Linksys Cable Router (although I'm sure other brands make cable routers as well)
foggytwo 16 36 1 Scotland
17 Sep 2007 7:14PM
I`m running three computers from an Atlanta modem with Virgin broadband Ken.Two are X.P. the other Vista. The two X.P. are wireless through a Netgear router and the Vista is running from the same router via a cable connection at the back.All working fine,(When Virgin Is running).
Simon_Palmer 13 759 11 United Kingdom
17 Sep 2007 7:16PM
Plug the Cable modem in and then connect it via an ethernet cable to your Belkin Router. Set your Belkin Router WAN connection to Dynamic and all done. Simple.
Simon_Whitehouse 15 769 5 United Kingdom
17 Sep 2007 7:41PM
Buy an apple airport, works a treat on windows based machines and solves all your networking problems in 5 minutes.

Smithy
stuwhitt 15 1.4k United Kingdom
17 Sep 2007 9:10PM
What you need is a Cable DSL Wireless Router, which will have a dedicated Ethernet socket to plug your modem into. Nothing else as far as I am aware will work

HTH

Stu Smile
17 Sep 2007 10:56PM
thanks guys

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.