Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Monitor calibration

JohnHorne 16 1.0k
14 May 2007 7:58PM
Sorry to start yet another topic on the subject of calibration, but I can't find the answers anywhere else.

I've used a Spyder2 to create a monitor profile. In Windows Display Properties > Settings tab > Advanced button > Color Management tab, I've set the new profile to be the default for the current monitor. However, even after clicking Set as Default, OK, OK, nothing changes.

In PaintShop Pro I then go to File > Preferences > Color Management and set "Monitor profile" to use the new profile. Click OK, and the colours of images in PSP shift.

So it seems that the profile set in Display Properties has no effect on an image shown in Internet Explorer, and I can only have an effect on images shown in PSP. That isn't what I expected. I was expecting to end up with my monitor being calibrated, not just my image editing application being calibrated. Have I done something wrong, or were my expectations incorrect ?

Incidentally, even if I go to Display Properties and set the profile back to sRGB, this has no effect on the (now calibrated) image displayed in PSP. So what is the point in setting the Display Properties ?
dougv 17 8.4k 3 England
14 May 2007 8:59PM
Thats odd John.
When windows boots here I see the screen colours change when the monitor profile loads.
I use the older Spyder and the saved profile has an icm extension.
Not sure why your is not working.
I used the method (same thing) Control Panel > Display > Settings > Advanced > Colour Management.
Add the new profile.
Set as Default.
Click on Apply.
Click OK and then OK again to come out.
You will need to reboot to get it to load as the profile only loads when windows starts up.
Your new profile as you expect has the monitor calibration info in it and will be available for all your applications as well as windows.
PSP will probably load it when you ask it to as you have observed.
Doug Smile
JohnHorne 16 1.0k
14 May 2007 9:16PM
I'll try rebooting, in that case, and see if it takes effect then.

If it does change after rebooting, why do I also need to set the profile in PSP ?

Back after a reboot ...
JohnHorne 16 1.0k
14 May 2007 9:27PM
OK, having rebooted, I saw the Spyder screen appear briefly with a message that the video card profile was loaded and the colours of the desktop wallpaper changed slightly. So I can assume that when I view gallery images in IE I am viewing them with the calibration profile in effect.

I remain puzzled, though, about the need to load the profile in PSP as well. If I look at an image in IE, and look at the same image in PSP (with monitor profile set in PSP) then the colours are different. Is the profile being applied twice ? If I reset the profile to sRGB in PSP the image looks exactly the same as it does in IE.

Should I apply it either in Windows Display Property or in PSP but not both ?
dougv 17 8.4k 3 England
14 May 2007 9:45PM
I can't say it's something I have noticed myself with Photoshop.
I think Big Bri knows a fair bit about PSP, so perhaps he may be able to answer that one.
I have a very early version, but it is some time since I used it in anger as it were.
It sounds like your new profile is definitely loading into windows OK.
Welcome to the wonderful whacky world of colour management!
Smile
JohnHorne 16 1.0k
14 May 2007 9:56PM
Thanks Doug. Does that mean that in PhotoShop you're not expected to tell it about your monitor profile as well ?
dougv 17 8.4k 3 England
14 May 2007 10:39PM
Well John, there are that many different settings for colour management I just leave mine on sRGB or AdobeRGB.
I have tried using the monitor profile, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.
There is a section on Proofing that I have set to the monitor profile.
It seems to work OK.
Then of course there is the colour management section to set up for printing too.
I once spent several days worrying about getting the colour management set up just right and it drove me mad.
I've stopped worrying about it now.
That's probably as I haven't found time for months to get out and take any photos! Sad
JohnHorne 16 1.0k
14 May 2007 10:44PM
I'll leave the monitor settings as they are then. You can look forward to tomorrow's question on ... printer profiling !

Wink
keithh 17 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
14 May 2007 10:44PM
you want PSP and PS to use RGB or sRGB or any RgB you choose to use....not the monitor profile
dougv 17 8.4k 3 England
14 May 2007 10:55PM
Thanks Keith!
I knew you would come and bail me out... Wink
JohnHorne 16 1.0k
15 May 2007 8:15AM
Thanks Keith - that was the conclusion I eventually reached, but it's good to have confirmation.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.