Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Monitor on the blink

Stuarty 16 122 England
15 Sep 2011 4:58PM
I have a desktop with an LCD monitor and a laptop. Recently the desktop became unusable because the display blanked out after a few seconds. Thought it was the pc, but when I connected the laptop to the monitor, the same thing happens: the monitor reproduces the laptop screen for a few seconds and then goes blank - the mains light goes from green to yellow.

I'm assuming the monitor's kaput, but if anyone has experienced this and found out another cause, I would be very grateful. The desktop runs under XP, the laptop W7 Home premium, but it saw the monitor straightaway.

Naturally it has happened as I return from holiday with the odd thousand or so images and, of course, I use the monitor for image processing............................

Many thanks.
66tricky 14 742 Scotland
15 Sep 2011 6:16PM
Could be a dodgy lead between the monitor and pc/laptop. Or could be a fault in the monitor itself that causes it to lose it after a few seconds. LCD monitors don't lastforever. I have had two fail plus a laptop screen with problems with the backlight and the inverter.
thatmanbrian 9 342 3 Spain
17 Sep 2011 8:43PM
I've had an LCD computer monitor die on me too. It does happen. If it's the backlight, these can actually be replaced by the user in many cases. Won't help you right now of course! Can you redirect the PC to the laptop screen maybe?

Brian
User_Removed 11 4.6k 1 Scotland
17 Sep 2011 10:21PM
They can be repaired - but the advances in desktop monitors in the last 5 years really suggests that it might be better to cut the losses, scrap the kapput one and invest in a newer model.
User_Removed 17 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
18 Sep 2011 12:22AM
I think the part that's responsible for detecting if a signal is present is on the blink. The way your monitor is behaving is the way that many behave if you switch them on but you don't have the PC on, automatically going into standby after a little while. If you're lucky in the monitor's controls there may be a setting to stop it doing that but I doubt it.
Stuarty 16 122 England
18 Sep 2011 9:36AM
Many thanks for the replies. Yes, it is going into standby mode. Better dust off the credit card........................
User_Removed 17 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
18 Sep 2011 11:02AM
Use the opportunity to treat yourself to something a little bit more upmarket. A nice IPS display such as a Dell Ultrasharp won't break the bank and there's monitors from LG that won't break the bank. When you add up how long you spend looking at the things it's worth treating yourself. That's how I justify it anyway!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.