Don't Miss Out On Top-Selling Deals From Park Cameras - Find Out More

Monopod - Equipment Attachment

LenShepherd 12 4.1k United Kingdom
6 Feb 2020 8:43AM

Quote: makers of large telephotos use 1/4" on their tripod foot mountings, so presumably consider that adequate.

All the long lenses I have have 2 x 1/4" mountings for extra stability using a long plate with twin screws.

The point many seem to be overlooking is that ideally a professional grade monopod/tripod for the size and weight of lens under discussion should ideally be professional grade - and professional grade monopod/tripod come with 3/8" as standard.]

The actual specification Nikon use for the body is 1/4" ISO 1222 - and for the Z system they advise not attaching a lens weighing more than 1300 grams if supported by a tripod attached to the camera base.

The Wimberley link, mentioned earlier, advises the monopod weight capacity should be at least 3x the weight of the equipment used on it.

Regular users of heavy and long lenses generally appreciate why 3/8" is better - and also usually experience early on a single 1/4'' screw is insufficient to eliminate sideways twist and loosening of the screw when supporting very heavy equipment.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown 11 8.1k 252 England
6 Feb 2020 8:53AM

Quote:

The actual specification Nikon use for the body is 1/4" ISO 1222 - and for the Z system they advise not attaching a lens weighing more than 1300 grams if supported by a tripod attached to the camera base.

That's interesting.

Is that for fear of the tearing the threaded insert out of the camera base; if Nikon have doubts about it, I'd be looking to buy elsewhere, or is it simply that a lens that heavy might cause the whole lot to topple over?
6 Feb 2020 4:27PM

Quote:
Quote:

That's interesting.

Is that for fear of the tearing the threaded insert out of the camera base; if Nikon have doubts about it, I'd be looking to buy elsewhere, or is it simply that a lens that heavy might cause the whole lot to topple over?

It is likely other than what you imply.

All camera body lens mounts have a design load above which damage, including distortion of the lens mount or mirror box (if a DSLR) might occur.

All the current Nikon Lenses without a tripod collar weigh less than the limit - but - what if you add a ring flash and batteries, a Pro Grade hood or a TC which takes a lens normally OK over the design weight limit?

I hope no-one is suggesting the 200-600 under discussion can be safely suspended from a camera body lens mount.

This is likely why heavier lenses come with a tripod collar.

If you have an interchangeable lens body why not ask your camera body manufacturer what the safe limit is for your camera?
6 Feb 2020 7:24PM
You might want to consider one of these or These
7 Feb 2020 8:48AM

Quote:You might want to consider one of these or These

Some are distinctly unsuitable as they are for panoramic work only, which few do from a monopod, and several only rotate rather than tilt.
None come with a twin screw QR plate to best fit lenses as big and heavy as a 200-600 - and "toughness" is probably not very high.
To match the strength and durability of a Gitzo tripod (which the OP has), particularly if a Series three or higher, I regard any of these suggestions as inferior, though perhaps just about OK for a 70-200 f4.
themak 6 1.0k Scotland
7 Feb 2020 9:38AM

Quote:Some are distinctly unsuitable as they are for panoramic work only, which few do from a monopod, and several only rotate rather than tilt.
Not true.

Quote:and "toughness" is probably not very high.
To match the strength and durability of a Gitzo tripod (which the OP has), particularly if a Series three or higher, I regard any of these suggestions as inferior, though perhaps just about OK for a 70-200 f4.

Assumption.
Philh04 Plus
14 2.1k United Kingdom
7 Feb 2020 10:32AM
Just to point out I have used a Sirui L-10 atop of a Gitzo Monopod for some time now, the strength and durability certainly match the monopod. This held my 1D series camera along with my Mk1 500mm f/4 IS with ease. As it has a standard Arca Swiss mount a QR plate for the lens collar with 2 securing bolts is easy to add.
7 Feb 2020 10:31PM
I use the L10 with a 1DX and 600mm on a gitzo monopod, no issues

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.